In Game Voice Chat

The whole community has been preoccupied with discussing issues like what patch should "Classic" be released on, whether QoL changes should happen, and various other important issues, but i haven't seen much discussion going on regarding things such as an In game voice chat option.

When WoW first came out back in 2004, the idea of an in game voice chat was somewhat new / in its infancy. When WoW first came out most people used Ventrilo servers, and now a days people use discord. That's great and all, but an in game voice chat option similar to that of Overwatch would be extremely beneficial to the community aspect of "Classic" / "Vanilla" WoW.

There really is no reason for an in game voice chat to not exist. It would improve dungeon running experience with pugs, facilitate communication within a guild, or during PVP games, private channels etc. Technology in the past decade has improved leaps and bounds, and there's no reason for the "Classic" version of WoW to not play catch up in that regard.

Before all the "purists" come in and state "No Changes", "Wasn't in Vanilla shouldn't be in Classic", an in game voice chat option has no effect on game play. If anything it improves game play for all of those involved. It encourages building a community. Almost every modern game has an in game voice client that allows players to communicate, there's no reason for WoW to have an archaic system when it comes to communication. I am not advocating to make voice chat for the likes of trade / general chat, but for things such as guild chat, PvP matches, private channels with friends, party chat, raid chat, etc.

It is a bit perplexing that an in game voice chat has yet to be implemented in WoW to this day (unless i am mistaken), and simply copying over Overwatch's in game voice chat would be sufficient enough.

What's the community's thoughts regarding this proposition?

Cheers!

They've already added voice chat to the bnet client.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Bnet client doesn't facilitate in game communication, unless you are stating that somehow said bnet client voice allows communication with random members in a party / people not on one's friends list and so forth. From my understanding and use of bnet's voice chat it allows communication with people on your friend's list and not randoms. Correct me if i am wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Hamsterboat View Post
    The whole community has been preoccupied with discussing issues like what patch should "Classic" be released on, whether QoL changes should happen, and various other important issues, but i haven't seen much discussion going on regarding things such as an In game voice chat option.

When WoW first came out back in 2004, the idea of an in game voice chat was somewhat new / in its infancy. When WoW first came out most people used Ventrilo servers, and now a days people use discord. That's great and all, but an in game voice chat option similar to that of Overwatch would be extremely beneficial to the community aspect of "Classic" / "Vanilla" WoW.

There really is no reason for an in game voice chat to not exist. It would improve dungeon running experience with pugs, facilitate communication within a guild, or during PVP games, private channels etc. Technology in the past decade has improved leaps and bounds, and there's no reason for the "Classic" version of WoW to not play catch up in that regard.

Before all the "purists" come in and state "No Changes", "Wasn't in Vanilla shouldn't be in Classic", an in game voice chat option has no effect on game play. If anything it improves game play for all of those involved. It encourages building a community. Almost every modern game has an in game voice client that allows players to communicate, there's no reason for WoW to have an archaic system when it comes to communication. I am not advocating to make voice chat for the likes of trade / general chat, but for things such as guild chat, PvP matches, private channels with friends, party chat, raid chat, etc.

It is a bit perplexing that an in game voice chat has yet to be implemented in WoW to this day (unless i am mistaken), and simply copying over Overwatch's in game voice chat would be sufficient enough.

Cheers!
    They added an in-game voice client in TBC and nobody ever used it.

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    They added an in-game voice client in TBC and nobody ever used it.
    I guess that answers my suggestion. Does anyone know if that feature still exists in Legion? Kind of odd that feature was not used much.

I guess that answers my suggestion. Does anyone know if that feature still exists in Legion? Kind of odd that feature was not used much.
    No. They disabled it by default in wrath when nobody used it and eventually got rid of it entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah the built-in one was dogshit and everyone was already riding the Vent/Teamspeak/Skype train.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Sad thing about voice chat function is that unless the person wants to use it enough that they're willing to go to the trouble of getting a voice chat program, they wont use such a function even if you put it right in the game and shove it into their face.

These days a lot of people don't even use text chat functions in mmos anyomore, they'll join some discord channel and everyone will do it in there.
    It really bugs me when I join a guild in xyz game and the chat is dead because everyone is just doing it in the discord, why even play an mmo then.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbusg View Post
    Sad thing about voice chat function is that unless the person wants to use it enough that they're willing to go to the trouble of getting a voice chat program, they wont use such a function even if you put it right in the game and shove it into their face.

These days a lot of people don't even use text chat functions in mmos anyomore, they'll join some discord channel and everyone will do it in there.
    It really bugs me when I join a guild in xyz game and the chat is dead because everyone is just doing it in the discord, why even play an mmo then.
    I see, i havn't played an mmo in almost 10 years. That's rather sad to hear. I did enjoy that aspect of the game, and feel that a good in game voice chat could be very beneficial.

Cheers!
    good news they are adding bnet voicechat to the retail game, i dont see any reason not to add it to classic since its the same engine