Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post

Run into a mage/pri/druid/pala -> he buffs you or heals you up as he runs through.
    One thing that people greatly underestimate is the power of buffs. They feel good to get, you most times notice the difference, and it creates a greater sense of community.

As you said, see a class with a buff, most people buff you as they run by.

5+ Year Old Account
    A lot of toxicity in this thread... getting the the OPs question.. I first levelled my Druid in Wotlk and didn't start healing until the end of Cata. Really wish I started earlier because Druid is by far the most interesting class to me. I mained rogue in vanilla and Tbc and I remember seeing a feral Druid level next to me and I remember thinking about how strong they were. He was the same level but completely toasting the mobs. That memory later gave me the idea to level my Druid which I cherish to this day. Now the chance to learn resto Druid hybrid builds for PvP and to try to dominate the bgs! But of course the path to 60 will be a great one too, I really enjoy vanilla levelling. Dat grind to cat form though xd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    A ton of responses in this thread boil down to people seemingly needing to be forced to socialize, because if they aren't they wouldn't talk to anyone. I don't think the game is the issue guys.
    Exactly. Let my try to explain how it worked back then. Social media was nonexistent back in 2004. Sure we had those chat softwares, but the Internet, and the communication on the Internet was nearly not as important and popular as nowadays (and not as mobile!). Yet the term "our busy world" already existed, ofc you can compare 2004 to 1994, then you won't see many ppl with cellphones in 1994.

So back in 2004, WoW was not only a game, but a place for social media. You had many ppl around you, so many strangers, new faces, you were happy to enter a world that opened new possibilities to find ppl from other countries. To be more "global".

Also the game itself was a much slower paced experience with not much to do, so the social part played a bigger role when you spent your time online.

Now we have the Internet on our mobiles, in our hands. We are much more "global" than ever, and we are much more busy than ever. We communicate with our irl friends, family, and online friends, make new friends day after day. And we can easily do this without WoW, because social media is a thing now.

The game also became fast paced and more busy with different activities, minigames, features added to it over time. We also have this self-conscious idea in our everyday life, making every seconds of our time busy/useful, making less and less room for a rest - think about travelling on the metro, you listen to music, browse the latest news and chat with your friends, all at the same time.

After a while your brain is fed up with this buzz you throw at it all day, every day, but you also want to play WoW. In the game, you won't seek for more social interactions, because you had enough irl (and in social media). You also want to use your precious time the most effective as you can, so you just go and improve your character on the most effective ways (at least you try). This takes away the time you could spend communicating with ppl in-game. You become "antisocial", but you aren't, because you had enough outside of the game already.

So basically ppl are getting tired of socializing and secretly want their private life, private time back they don't have irl. They feel that socializing is a tiresome and useless burden in-game, when it comes to contact with strangers. You can't even say "Hi!", because you'll lack behind others, because of the time you lost typing, the rest of the group fills the damage meter already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Because it's a MMORPG not a gogogo single player arcade game like Legion.
    I don't think we are playing the same game sir

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla WoW was directed toward the adventure. The end-game wasn't as relevant as it is now.

Hitting max level would take months and that's without considering the fact that back then, everything was much more dangerous. A single mob was a challenge, two were dangerous and three was certain death.

Getting lost meant that you'd have to find your way back by yourself. Mounts weren't available until 40, which meant that you couldn't simply outrun a group of an enemy that was higher level than you were. Hearthstone was on an hour cooldown, so obviously, you couldn't just heart to solve your problems.

Gold was hard to come by, meaning that even white pieces of gear could be considered an upgrade. Buying a new weapon from a vendor because your gray weapon was ten level below was a thing and it usually meant that you'd be broke for a while.

There were no objectives on the map, you had to actually read the quests to progress. Sometime, this itself wouldn't be enough and you'd have to scour the zone to find your objective.

Also, Gelkis and Magram.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Vanilla WoW was directed toward the adventure. The end-game wasn't as relevant as it is now.

Hitting max level would take months and that's without considering the fact that back then, everything was much more dangerous. A single mob was a challenge, two were dangerous and three was certain death.

Getting lost meant that you'd have to find your way back by yourself. Mounts weren't available until 40, which meant that you couldn't simply outrun a group of an enemy that was higher level than you were. Hearthstone was on an hour cooldown, so obviously, you couldn't just heart to solve your problems.

Gold was hard to come by, meaning that even white pieces of gear could be considered an upgrade. Buying a new weapon from a vendor because your gray weapon was ten level below was a thing and it usually meant that you'd be broke for a while.

There were no objectives on the map, you had to actually read the quests to progress. Sometime, this itself wouldn't be enough and you'd have to scour the zone to find your objective.

Also, Gelkis and Magram.
    TL;DR: Your character was just an adventurer, but now it's a superhero. I'm Hulk, because I can Heroic Leap!

To satiate my nostalgia. To see how much/how many little things from the old world I forgot. I miss the old Darkshore. I miss the old Loch Modan. I miss the old WPL. I miss my poisons profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    TL;DR: Your character was just an adventurer, but now it's a superhero. I'm Hulk, because I can Heroic Leap!
    It's not just that. I like Legion, I like how it works. That's fine, but it's not just about "being a hero". It's about everything that they've added over the years that makes leveling a streamlined, mandatory learning experience of your class abilities. It's fine, really, but it's not the same game. I enjoy both for different reasons and I'm hyped about Classic because I will finally be able to delve back into an immersive fantasy world (with horrible graphics, but I'd rather they keep them like that).
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    It's not just that. I like Legion, I like how it works. That's fine, but it's not just about "being a hero". It's about everything that they've added over the years that makes leveling a streamlined, mandatory learning experience of your class abilities. It's fine, really, but it's not the same game. I enjoy both for different reasons and I'm hyped about Classic because I will finally be able to delve back into an immersive fantasy world (with horrible graphics, but I'd rather they keep them like that).
    You had to be careful while leveling back then, as you said. Now I can pull half of the zone with no sweat. You outgear the content on max level, it's understandable that the mobs become trivial, but while leveling, nothing keeps the devs back from making it a vanilla experience and overtune the mobs a bit. Now you also steamroll the 10 levels between expansions as you steamroll the mobs on max level.

I feel it's more like about business and money nowadays, because a tougher leveling content would scare glue eater Timmy away from the game, because he would die much more frequently. Now Timmy, even as a newbie, can steamroll himself to max level and join his friends.
    Also ppl nowadays have different views/standards about games. They want to be busy, grab everything as quickly as they can (not just in WoW, all games, and not even just games) - I can see those posts about hc Antorus clears and pugs, like they wouldn't have at least 6 months to do it nice and easy, they just rush and unsub, as they "beat the content", meanwhile having 10k achievements total.
    So Blizz doesn't want these players to be bored even at the start of the game, so they just make them skip the "boring" part.

im pretty hyped cause the game is too accelerated now to get to max content, and people at max content are always "bored"

I miss playing games that were about the journey and not the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterwep View Post
    Proper hybrid builds.
    In vanilla? I think the word you're looking for is useless hybrid builds

Quote Originally Posted by syar View Post
    Because now I feel like everything is spoon fed to me. I like struggle , overcoming problems with the help of other players is a better experience than being able to two shot everything.
    Vanilla was spoon feeding too, sadly the difference was: Vanilla = baby spoon - Live = liquid meal.

I get what you're saying about being able to 2 shot mobs, problem is the 109 levels one faces, in a game all about max level. Now Live is about to be 120 levels, at this point Blizzard really needs to step back from the gating process and either start offering people max level characters for endgame, or offer the vanilla leveling experience as a whole for world play. These are two completely different types of gamer's who drive each other nuts being crammed together for questing, and dungeons.

Player 1: full looms trying to get cap fast as possible, Player 2, trying to meet friends, group up, and enjoy all the current level content.

Player 1: Pulls half the instance
    Player 2: Still sitting at entrance reading quest.
    Player 1 Dies.
    Player 2: Says wait.
    Player 1 vote kicks Player 2. (outcome varies per group)

Rinse and repeat. At what point does Blizzard realize that people will make the game a living hell for everyone else around them instead of paying 60 dollars for a boost they still have to level. I just did a character 1-110 in about 5 days /played at ilv 930 was I toxic along the way? Yes! Why? Because I don't enjoy that part of the game anymore, lot of people don't, which totally fucks those who do.

No matter what version of WoW you play the game is old and the people are tired. Experiencing vanilla during vanilla was different, people were new, content was new, people were helpful and excited about leveling/dungeons/raids. This will never happen again in WoW, people are tired of explaining fight, or how to play your class correctly, tired of grinding levels, it's all about endgame; one of which is very limited in Classic. That 1% will grind to the end, do the content and move on, those who dilly-dally will forever be left behind because of their casual nature.

Why Blizzard wants to keep the game this way is beyond me.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Why is this so great?
    It's not. I'm not interested in it at all. I think it's a colossal waste of time and resources but then again with the half assed looking expansion on the horizon they need to keep suckers subbed somehow right?

It'll be fun to relive some old memories, and replay the game again. It'll be like when I reread the Harry Potter series or rewatch Lord of the Rings, huge wave of nostalgia. My only concern is that it'll be a lot worse than I remember, since the game is still active and vastly improved upon its original iteration.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post

Comparing WoW to old movies or some good old book you want to re-read again; you really can't compare that kind of stuff with Vanila. You made 0 sense.
    You can't say they can't be compared without saying why they can't be compared, elaborate or shove off.

Yes, they can be compared, media is media, content is content, if it's ok to replay old games like Zelda, or rewatch Black Hawk Down for the 20th time, it's just as ok to replay Vanilla.

It's ok for you to not want to, no one is trying to force you to. There is a problem, however, when you ask people a question, they respond honestly, and then you disregard their opinion as "making 0 sense" just because you don't agree with it... That makes you a dick.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-11-30 at 08:17 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    You had to be careful while leveling back then, as you said. Now I can pull half of the zone with no sweat. You outgear the content on max level, it's understandable that the mobs become trivial, but while leveling, nothing keeps the devs back from making it a vanilla experience and overtune the mobs a bit. Now you also steamroll the 10 levels between expansions as you steamroll the mobs on max level.

I feel it's more like about business and money nowadays, because a tougher leveling content would scare glue eater Timmy away from the game, because he would die much more frequently. Now Timmy, even as a newbie, can steamroll himself to max level and join his friends.
    Also ppl nowadays have different views/standards about games. They want to be busy, grab everything as quickly as they can (not just in WoW, all games, and not even just games) - I can see those posts about hc Antorus clears and pugs, like they wouldn't have at least 6 months to do it nice and easy, they just rush and unsub, as they "beat the content", meanwhile having 10k achievements total.
    So Blizz doesn't want these players to be bored even at the start of the game, so they just make them skip the "boring" part.
    Nothing of the sort.
    Leveling is so trivial today due to the insane amount of past content one must crunch before getting to current content.
    I have started during WotLK and even back then getting to max level was taking weeks for your average player. Imagine what it would be today if they kept the original pacing of leveling process and the original questing system (i.e. no more nice and efficient quest hubs sending you to do 4 quests in the same area, then 3 quests in another area, and then final quest with blue reward). It would take MONTHS to level up to get to the current content. Not to mention you would be doing so in mostly deserted zones with very rare occasions of meeting other players (most of nowadays Outland and Norhrend). Where is the fun in that?
    Now while some of you would consider that a good thing, many will not and it will outright discourage new players to come in to play with their friends, knowing they will never be able to catch-up with them.

Stop with this ridiculous notion of current times generation that wants everything served on a platter. It's just stupid.
    Last edited by mmocf7e361541e; 2017-11-30 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    Are there still private servers?
    Yes indeed, Nostalrius was the biggest, but not by far the only one. I've started playing on Elysium, and it's a very active server.

I got asked the same question from the misses. I told her it's almost like when you pick up your old NES/SNES and play Super Mario again after so many years. The nostalgia, the classic feel and gameplay, the experiences and memories you had when playing the games when you were younger. This is what makes me want to give it a shot. I'm going to play this rather than playing an alt on "live".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    Yes indeed, Nostalrius was the biggest, but not by far the only one. I've started playing on Elysium, and it's a very active server.
    Nice, thanks!
    Checked their website, seems solid.
    Probably try it out this weekend.