State of Lone Wolf MM?

Hey, I recently started playing since like a decade of not touching the game.

Even back in the day, I never played a pure DPS class – as a matter of fact, I wasn't entirely sold by any DPS class at all. Didn't like being up a mob's butt to avoid glances, so that ruled out Rogues; didn't like pets so that checked off Hunters and Warlocks; and Blink used to glitch me through the ground more times than not so I grew a distaste for Mages.

Coming back to the game, I settled back on tank classes as usual.

But then I saw Lone Wolf!

Now, this may make me roll my first Hunter ever. I wanted to know opinions on how the talent worked, if it was viable for PvE and PvP, and so on.

It's really the only viable talent in that tier.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

It's basically been the only viable talent in that row since 7.0, the others are just bad and not even worth looking at.

Is it fun to play? What's the rotation like? Spammy? Etc. I know next to nothing about Hunters. Last time I saw them they had mana bars.

Check out the guide at www.icy-veins.com, this will answer most of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ISW View Post
    Is it fun to play? What's the rotation like? Spammy? Etc. I know next to nothing about Hunters. Last time I saw them they had mana bars.
    Lone wolf doesn't really change anything other than removing the pet and loading some of that damage on your own. Plus it means you have no pet to tank for you.

Basically you'll always want to use this as it's simply the best damage option. However for solo play you have to consider that if you don't have good gear you might want to either drop this talent for another and use a pet to tank, or pick up black arrow (Tier 30) to spawn a minion that can tank for you.

Marksman hunter playwise is actually pretty solid. Focus is a more engaging resource than mana was, so it leads to a more enjoyable rotation. The vulnerable system has some downsides and takes a bit to get used to, but once you do MM hunters have a pretty solid rotation going.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me MM hunter is the best spec to play out of the 3 hunter specs

Very spammy with 0% downtime on the rotation and without a pest, erm i mean, pet, very awesome, very archer feeling.

But keep in mind, if u like to always go with the best talent setup, you will have to gamble, because never know when blizzard will make the sideboring..i mean sidewinds talent the to-go talent again and if they do that, at least to me, will ruin the spec, that's the only reason i didnt mained a hunter yet, i hate that talent with a passion, it adds almost 20% downtime on the rotation, not only that, the animation is awful and the sound it does... sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihal View Post
    To me MM hunter is the best spec to play out of the 3 hunter specs

Very spammy with 0% downtime on the rotation and without a pest, erm i mean, pet, very awesome, very archer feeling.

But keep in mind, if u like to always go with the best talent setup, you will have to gamble, because never know when blizzard will make the sideboring..i mean sidewinds talent the to-go talent again and if they do that, at least to me, will ruin the spec, that's the only reason i didnt mained a hunter yet, i hate that talent with a passion, it adds almost 20% downtime on the rotation, not only that, the animation is awful and the sound it does... sheesh.
    Sidewinders was far better than the shit we have now. You had to actually put some thought into how you use it and positioning mattered. Current MM is boring and the Vuln mechanic is clunky as hell.

You most likely need to check some video on gameplay, search something like "MM hunter guide 7.3". It will probably be way too detailed for you right now, but it will tell you what you will be pressing. The rotation might seem boring at first, but every rotation is quite boring to just go through it at a target dummy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Sidewinders was far better than the shit we have now. You had to actually put some thought into how you use it and positioning mattered. Current MM is boring and the Vuln mechanic is clunky as hell.
    Guess we will have to agree in disagree then =)

Sidewinders from a rotational perspective had way less to think about to do it well than Trick Shot currently does, actually, because the difference between different shot orders was close to non-existent, and generally the most intuitive way to play was also the best one. Positioning did matter of course, but this was only significant on a few fights.

It also dilluted the idea of minimizing downtime when executing the rotation, which is probably the most important part of playing DPS in general. With Trick Shot, if you play it a bit imperfectly but you have 5% less downtime than the "perfect" guy because you're better at managing your movement and pressing your buttons in general, you'll tend to win the meter, and this idea of every second mattering is pretty appealing to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    What thought? You stood at max range, always aimed at the furthest center target and than just randomly pressed all your buttons.
    Not saying that current PS crap is a good system, but Sidewinders was just braindead in every way.