Thread: Protection T21

Protection T21

So I was doing some research into T21, Antorus and such for the next raiding tier and I keep running into a number of people talking down on the T21 Prot set bonus. Basically the consensus seems to be, "ok but not great" and "better in M+ than raids". Though I can't find where I read it one reviewed estimated that the set bonus was worth between 5-10 ilvls.

As example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCseNOGtueQ

Now the set bonus is:

2pc - Passively gain 10% additive block chance
    4pc - When ShoTR is on CD gain 10% additional block chance.

Even using Soul of the Highlord or Holy Shield instead of Blessed Hammer the bonus don't seem to be that great.

Am I missing something or should I take the consensus path and pretty much ignore the set unless I don't have something at least 5-10 ilvls higher in that slot?
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

Paladins biggest complaint is being squishy outside of AM... the above bonus helps alleviate said squishiness.. I don’t see what the complaint is.

I think 20% extra block outside of AM is way more useful than a few ilvls

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    Am I missing something or should I take the consensus path and pretty much ignore the set unless I don't have something at least 5-10 ilvls higher in that slot?
    You're not really missing anything.

The set isn't bad but it's more useful when fighting a bunch of things meaning you'll be attacked more often. This evens out that damage curve quite a bit, bosses though swing slow but hard and you'll have heals coming on you almost constantly anyway so it's nice but hardly noticeable versus those conditions.

It's not a bad set and really paladins need the extra block chance anyway - they feel like my squishiest tank with a constantly bobbing health pool - so something to make trash easier shores up one of the big problem areas paladins have.

Only problem is that since it's such a glaring problem area they should probably just do a 10% baseline block chance increase and come up with something cooler for a set bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    It just shows my problem with the way set bonuses work. It sort of exists to bandaid a spec into being "more complete" and "fixed".

This bonus is something you would expect them to hardcode into the class because it solves some of their squishy nature, instead they just slap it onto a set cause god knows why.

Deleted
    And hell that's why i am afraid about the removal of tier bonuses next expansion : I dont believe the problem was a vanity thing with having to come down with a fashion design to suit the class fantasy for every tier. I believe that the team was not willing to invest time in coming down with set bonuses and tuning them. We can see in this expansion and sometimes during the previous ones that the bonuses were bandaids and not what they were supposed to be : flavor, some sweet alteration to the way the spec works, maybe something relevant to the said tier (special resistance etc).
    However the team will defo have to make tunings etc to the class throughout the expansion and i do hope they understand that. Also I dont know if playing the exact same way from day one till last day of an expansion will be ok but thats another story anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Stroggylos View Post
    And hell that's why i am afraid about the removal of tier bonuses next expansion : I dont believe the problem was a vanity thing with having to come down with a fashion design to suit the class fantasy for every tier. I believe that the team was not willing to invest time in coming down with set bonuses and tuning them. We can see in this expansion and sometimes during the previous ones that the bonuses were bandaids and not what they were supposed to be : flavor, some sweet alteration to the way the spec works, maybe something relevant to the said tier (special resistance etc).
    However the team will defo have to make tunings etc to the class throughout the expansion and i do hope they understand that. Also I dont know if playing the exact same way from day one till last day of an expansion will be ok but thats another story anyways
    Yup, this is why they are going away from tier set bonuses. This, however, doesn't explain going away from visual class sets. My explanation is... laziness.