Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    There are Vanilla Add-On Bundles, some private Servers got them for download but we will have to check out which client version we will get.
    It's silly to assume that Vanilla addons will work with Classic. It will have a different framework for sure. New addons will have to be written.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    People *really* underestimate what kind of addons Vanilla had. They allowed for automation that's unmatched by the ones we have nowadays, including interracting with dynamically generated frames which was quite a big thing. Automated stop casting, automated downranking, automated dispel, Emergency Monitor with binds for single click healing the most hurt people. Plenty of that stuff was so over the top that it got disabled near the end of Vanilla - and some ignorant people from other MMOs still believe that Healbot is pretty much a bot playing the game for you... because that's almost what it was.

If anything, I'm curious to see what functionality gets restricted and what new addons we'll get. Expansions have allowed a lot of new functionality, but also limited some old ones. It can be an interesting mix.

I had a good conversation about addons with a few of the other people on this forum a couple of days ago, basically there are dependencies on how blizzard put the classic client together, do they use the old set of APIs present when vanilla was around of do they construct it using the new set of apis. The problem with using the old apis is that they are far to permissive in what they allowed you to do, you could effectively completely automate your character effectively allowing a player to do their whole rotation through one button. It would also have a massive effect on PVP where you would start to see 'Hacks' that manage things such as interrupts so that they are timed perfectly for maximum impact to the other player.

Another thing that was stopped was automating buying from the auction house, if this was allowed there would be a big impact on server economy and the availability of items through the auction house as people work out how to rig it via automated addons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf View Post
    PowerAuras was WeakAuras.
    I think PowerAuras started in WoTLK, at least that's when it became a thing. Don't think it existed before, but I may be wrong.

That said, nothing in Vanilla could prevent it from existing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myr010 View Post
    I had a good conversation about addons with a few of the other people on this forum a couple of days ago, basically there are dependencies on how blizzard put the classic client together, do they use the old set of APIs present when vanilla was around of do they construct it using the new set of apis. The problem with using the old apis is that they are far to permissive in what they allowed you to do, you could effectively completely automate your character effectively allowing a player to do their whole rotation through one button. It would also have a massive effect on PVP where you would start to see 'Hacks' that manage things such as interrupts so that they are timed perfectly for maximum impact to the other player.

Another thing that was stopped was automating buying from the auction house, if this was allowed there would be a big impact on server economy and the availability of items through the auction house as people work out how to rig it via automated addons.
    This is important point, people don't seem to be aware just how crazy Vanilla addons (and even bloody macros) could be. If classic will be based on something like 1.6 or 1.9 then lulz. I don't remember when they shut off that 1.11 or 1.12? Anything before that was literal addon wild west where you could do shit which would be considered bannable offense nowadays.

I am almost certain Blizz will not allow it, because it was, in fact, way over the top of what should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    This is important point, people don't seem to be aware just how crazy Vanilla addons (and even bloody macros) could be.
    I think people don't realise it because no one is really pushing addon scene forward on PS, so they're mainly stuck w/ either old addons or few newer addons that were ported to work in 1.12 environment.

If they had WA-analogue w/ import strings for rotation bots for their classes posted on every class forum they'd talk differently.

I don't remember when they shut off that 1.11 or 1.12? Anything before that was literal addon wild west where you could do shit which would be considered bannable offense nowadays.
    Mainly 2.0, there's some minor restrictions before that, but they could be worked around.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-11-18 at 01:33 PM.

I think PowerAuras started in WoTLK, at least that's when it became a thing. Don't think it existed before, but I may be wrong.

That said, nothing in Vanilla could prevent it from existing.
    Here's another one to ponder... AVR?

It was both created and broken in Wrath. I don't know which functions or libraries it needs, but I wonder if it might work in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Don't like them? Don't use them. Don't ruin it for others.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Wouldn't a flurry of add ons meant to address the inconveniences actually go against a 'real' Vanilla experience?

While I realize as a player I can always choose NOT to use said add on, but could developers come up with a Vanilla bundle that has ONLY add ons that actually existed back then?
    If some player wanna use every possible addon to "ruin" their vanilla experience, that is THEIR choice.

Let players make the choice themself.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Wouldn't a flurry of add ons meant to address the inconveniences actually go against a 'real' Vanilla experience?

While I realize as a player I can always choose NOT to use said add on, but could developers come up with a Vanilla bundle that has ONLY add ons that actually existed back then?
    When I was playing MoP, I had a group finder addon called oQueue it handled things you couldn't really pug normally, like achievements, old raids, etc, when your group was ready, it would form your group, this was particularly helpful for finding cross-realm pugs. i found this very convenient at the time. It was like group finder, except it showed other players your ilvl, your achievements and a bunch of other information, and allowed you to immediately invite or kick.

When I was barrens questing in vanilla back in January, I saw that someone had actually backported an older version of that program to vanilla, and it worked flawlessly, it would find you players that wanted to do the same thing, like WC and would put you in a group of five people, no real talking or city-travelling required.

Although it wasn't exactly group finder, or raid finder, it did allow you to find group members. it was actually maybe deliberately broken by blizzard.

It depends really what version of the WoW IDK they're using really, if they're taking vanilla and porting it to the newer engine, we'll have mods for literally every inconvenience in vanilla, if it's just "making vanilla work with new servers and tech" we'll be using old versions of the IDK which didn't have nearly as many lua methods to access.

Regardless, vanilla "being a thing again" will drastically appeal to addon creators, addons will be made and will make blizzard-like additions to simplify the game, we'll see things like bag sorting and junk highlighting, auto-looting and fully fledged and functional quest helpers and raid guides within weeks.

Right now the vanilla community uses a big rar file full of incredibly old addons they pass around from the time period, and they pick and choose from that, i'm pretty certain of the reality that there will be brand new mods or mods will begin to be updated again.
    Last edited by JohnnyMccrum; 2017-11-18 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    If some player wanna use every possible addon to "ruin" their vanilla experience, that is THEIR choice.

Let players make the choice themself.
    If only .. It will ruin every ones experience .. Say a LFG add on is developed (just like the one in live) where you could group for quests/dungeons/raids/pvp/outdoor stuff .. Sure, you still need to manually run there but it would completely negate how people grouped in vanilla ..

That also extends to much more that I am sure I'm missing that would also dramatically change how every ones vanilla experience turns out to be ..

ALSO:

Some have said how automated add ons where back then .. THAT is exactly why my suggestion is that Blizz BAN ALL third party add ons and THEY release a bundle that is approved and very much Vanilla centric.

If only .. It will ruin every ones experience .. Say a LFG add on is developed (just like the one in live) where you could group for quests/dungeons/raids/pvp/outdoor stuff .. Sure, you still need to manually run there but it would completely negate how people grouped in vanilla ..

That also extends to much more that I am sure I'm missing that would also dramatically change how every ones vanilla experience turns out to be ..

ALSO:

Some have said how automated add ons where back then .. THAT is exactly why my suggestion is that Blizz BAN ALL third party add ons and THEY release a bundle that is approved and very much Vanilla centric.
    What is your point? Addons of all kinds (even groupfinders) have existed in vanilla... and WoW as whole was DESIGNED with having addons. A TRUE vanilla experience includes the ability to get all kinds of addons.

All in all, your suggestion that blizz should only allow a select amount of addons is:
    1. impossible to do
    2. makes no sense whatsoever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    It's silly to assume that Vanilla addons will work with Classic. It will have a different framework for sure. New addons will have to be written.
    Says who? Speaking of 'silly'...

Ah, the myth about ppl not using addons in Classic.

It's the opposite of what actually happened. Addons back then, were much STRONGER than they are today. You had shit like decursive that chose the best target for you, allowing you to simply press a button yourself. Same with Healer addons that chose the best suited target, and picked the best rank of the best spell to use in that situation.

DBM was obviously just as functional as it is today, despite ppl claiming that DBM didn't exist in Classic or TBC.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    What is your point? Addons of all kinds (even groupfinders) have existed in vanilla... and WoW as whole was DESIGNED with having addons. A TRUE vanilla experience includes the ability to get all kinds of addons.

All in all, your suggestion that blizz should only allow a select amount of addons is:
    1. impossible to do
    2. makes no sense whatsoever

- - - Updated - - -

Says who? Speaking of 'silly'...
    Says the obvious change from "Vanilla" to "Classic". It is obvious to those who don't live on arguments for the sake of arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by VyersReaver View Post
    Says the obvious change from "Vanilla" to "Classic". It is obvious to those who don't live on arguments for the sake of arguing.
    Nothing so far suggests that Blizz is gonna have a different API than they had in Vanilla...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Well shit like range finder didn't ever exist in classic, fairly sure that power auras and fucking grid also wasn't existing there. While decursive was a "vanilla experience", but it deteriorated from raid experience heavily
    You can still macro it and cheese the fight. Vanilla fights weren't all that special.

For Decursive I'd rather have the new one that makes you choose. The old one picked for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    People *really* underestimate what kind of addons Vanilla had. They allowed for automation that's unmatched by the ones we have nowadays, including interracting with dynamically generated frames which was quite a big thing. Automated stop casting, automated downranking, automated dispel, Emergency Monitor with binds for single click healing the most hurt people. Plenty of that stuff was so over the top that it got disabled near the end of Vanilla - and some ignorant people from other MMOs still believe that Healbot is pretty much a bot playing the game for you... because that's almost what it was.

If anything, I'm curious to see what functionality gets restricted and what new addons we'll get. Expansions have allowed a lot of new functionality, but also limited some old ones. It can be an interesting mix.
    The highlighted bit cannot be overstressed enough. I remember way early in Vanilla WoW, there was even a travel bot addon made (was broken in the next patch IIRC), that allowed you to put in coordinates and then the addon would autorun you from coordinate to coordinate in that order.

Made running between the various Barrens cities/outposts that bit more bearable.

Pretty sure there were addons in vanilla. If I remember correctly I used healbot, decursive and a couple of others that made healing easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's very likely some new addons won't be compatible
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Deleted

ALSO:

Oh boohoo. Another players decision has absolute no affect on "muh vanilla experience" that you morons seem to advocate for so much.