Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Banard View Post
    I thought the issue was there is no more code. They have been hacking and slashing it for 13 years....the original code is no more. The reason why they are hiring a new team is to re-invent the code.
    I seriously doubt they didn't back up ever single patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudas View Post
    There will 2 approaches. You pay for the vanilla experience only aka buy the game once. Which in time will be insufficient to hold the costs of having those servers up. Or the subscription type which will cause a shitload of rage from purists since they will feel they don't have to pay monthly for something they developed 14 years ago. Why should I pay 15$/month for something that doesn't get updated.

The safest one will be just like now. Pay subscription to the normal game and get access to that vanilla experience also. So this way you support both and we don't get divided communities.
    I don't think they would dare go the buy-once approach, because i think the estimated value of WoW Classic is very broad and varies alot from player to player. If they went buy-once, WoW Classic would not get a big playerbase from the start and that is something which i think Blizzard is going after. Like anything over 20$ is proberly gonna make alot of potential players go "nah, i will skip it".

So yeah, i will also put my money on simply adding WoW Classic to the current Sub. It will be easily defendable for Blizzard, since you not only get a static WoW(Classic), but also an evolving one(retail) in the same sub. People who are playing retail does not have an excuse to atleast not try it out and people who are thinking about leaving WoW(and unsubbing) will maybe find a good reason to still pay 15$ a month. And the hardcore players are proberly gonna be more then happy to pay 15$ a month to play their favorite game of all time and they can make it cheap if they already stop after 1 or 2 months.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    I doubt you would ever keep 13 year old versions. Especially after Cataclysm happened and you had to refactor all the code involving vanilla quests/zones & all that. Otherwise you would receive beta testing for vanilla tomorrow.

Please also take into account that when Cataclysm started development let's assume we were halfway through WOTLK. Which is their biggest expansion subscription wise. Which also means they had the most active developers on the wow project at that time. Nowadays with subscriptions dropping from day to day and millions completely dropping from expansion to expansion the amount of work they have to do for this is insane and not worthy from any development point of view. But as always blizzard will deliver since fanbase > everything.

But you people will still bash on it even thought they make a better vanilla experience than you ever had XD.
    Last edited by Dudas; 2017-11-21 at 04:04 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    That's how it was for a lot of people in vanilla in a way, anyway...

The majority of the player base were not in a state to start the Scepter quest lines for Scarab Lord as it required you to complete raid content, and farm those scarabs (which basically required T1/2 to do effectively).
    Exactly, that is how it was for alot of people, which is why they might want to try it now when they have the brain of an adult Like i was about lvl 40 when the AQ event started and i had no idea, that the event was actually about opening AQ and the big battle before the opening. I would love if i could actually be part of that event and experience some of the things i have only seen in movie montages

Besides, it is not all about farming the scepter, but also gathering material for the war effort and fighting against the scarab spawns all over the world Seeing a big part of Orgrimmar be filled with vendors and quatermasters who asked for resourses was quite cool to experience and i would see it as a plus if i could experience that again aswell
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

I doubt you would ever keep 13 year old versions. Especially after Cataclysm happened and you had to refactor all the code involving vanilla quests/zones & all that. Otherwise you would receive beta testing for vanilla tomorrow.
    You clearly have never coded if you think they don't have back up for all their patches. Hell, I'm sure I can find the patches online somewhere.

Back then you could download the patches from third party sites when the patch Blizzard deployed was corrupted or when their service was slow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    A database is a database. Mangos is open source and Blizz CAN use any part of it if they like. My god you act like MySQL is proprietary.
    Blizz has plenty of resources and obvious inside knowledge to fix any hack scripts....it'll be OK man and is not rocket science.
    They already have a playable version they said. And another thing, why in the fuck do you think they approached Nost in the first place?!
    It doesn't matter if Mangos is open source, Blizzard is not gonna touch it. They already have their own prototype up and running so it's entirely moot

And another thing, why in the fuck do you think they approached Nost in the first place?!
    Ehm, the huge PR backlash they got from shutting down Nost?

5+ Year Old Account
    You clearly have never coded if you think they don't have back up for all their patches. Hell, I'm sure I can find the patches online somewhere.

Back then you could download the patches from third party sites when the patch Blizzard deployed was corrupted or when their service was slow.
    Yes but the amount of changes there have been in the core of the game can't be reverted to patch x just like that. Server hardware had different specifics and all that. You think it's just svn revert x lmao.

Hell the fact that they can't integrate the blood elf/draenei zones into EK/Kalimdor after 10 years proves what a clown fiesta with spaghetti code it's in there, also considering we're getting an expansion regarding those zones.
    Last edited by Dudas; 2017-11-21 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinexve View Post
    I agree but there are so many whiny children these days that they will prob add a ton of qol shit
    WoW player's favorite perpetual lie. Do you have a shred of evidence that would give you even the slightest insight into WoW's demographics?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    Says who? You? I think you'll find that you don't make the decisions when it comes what state Classic will be launched.
    and you even less so. Thankfully

Omae wo shinderu
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Anyway stop being such an ass fucktard.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivium666 View Post
    Would you kindly go fuck yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    So you don't want to experience the opening of AQ? You don't want to experience the Naxx event or the PvP ranking system?

The last patch of Vanilla is not by far as many people remember it and by having it be the last patch removes alot of the character progression, that people liked about Vanilla.
    It is simply is not feasible to do them all over gain. What do you suggest?

After two years they should repeat the process or what? Have a continual cycle of patches building up and culminating in 1.12.2? And then start anew from 1.0? Over and over again?

Because otherwise this idea doesn't make sense. There will always be new people who haven't experienced it by virtue of them being not born yet.
    Even if they go over them once more, it doesn't matter in the long run unless its cyclical.

And herein lies the problem: IF it would be cyclical, nothing matters because you would lose all your progress after 2 years. So in light of this: Fixed 1.12.2 is the only solution.
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2017-11-21 at 05:08 PM.

You will be surprised what can change over 13+ years in a large corporation. The alluding to this being a issue before. It wasn't as easy as turning a switch or uploading a code. That lots of it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    If you think you need aoe looting, especially with a wand priest, you are in for a surprise.

Aoe looting basically benefits 2 specs.
    frost mage and aff lock?

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammer View Post

After two years they should repeat the process or what? Have a continual cycle of patches building up and culminating in 1.12.2? And then start anew from 1.0? Over and over again?

Because otherwise this idea doesn't make sense. There will always be new people who haven't experienced it by virtue of them being not b
    orn yet.
    Even if they go over them once more, it doesn't matter in the long run unless its cyclical.

And herein lies the problem: IF it would be cyclical, nothing matters because you would lose all your progress after 2 years. So in light of this: Fixed 1.12.2 is the only solution.
    well once a year they can do a fresh start while the other realms continue

personally i plan to go through wrath and stop if they progress that far.
    Last edited by Nasuuna; 2017-11-21 at 05:50 PM.

Yes but the amount of changes there have been in the core of the game can't be reverted to patch x just like that. Server hardware had different specifics and all that. You think it's just svn revert x lmao.

Hell the fact that they can't integrate the blood elf/draenei zones into EK/Kalimdor after 10 years proves what a clown fiesta with spaghetti code it's in there, also considering we're getting an expansion regarding those zones.
    I'm not saying they can flip a switch to go back to a patch. That's not my position. Don't strawman me.

That instance of integrating the zones doesn't prove the code is difficult or is "spaghetti" code. Just shows that it's work to combine them. Why do the work, which is money wasted, to combine the zones when it doesn't NEED to be done?

7+ Year Old Account

Because otherwise this idea doesn't make sense. There will always be new people who haven't experienced it by virtue of them being not born yet.

..... I would actually suggest to just do them all over again Like blizz have the tech to make it possible, since they can tweak the events to match the playerbase size

No, after 2 years they would just stop There is nothing wrong in having a 2 year long process and then just having it end They are then open to make a new server and start from scratch or go TBC, but i would say having a 2 year process is enough for Blizzard to make their money back Also Blizzard have multiple ways to stop people from having their characters deleted or to have progress deleted, but then again, every expansion stops with its content and progress is reset all the time

So no, fixed 1.12.2 is by far not the only solution :=)

- - - Updated - - -

It's wrong in the sense that it will betray the idea of bringing classic back. It's a principle thing at this point.

Which is why the Blizzard guy said "you think you do, but you don't".

But, even if people don't remember what it was like they'll get a crash course on it when it hits(assuming it stays true to the original), and they'll get that nostalgia rush they ever so crave. Which is something a non-classic player will never get.

Neither can I. They're a business after all. I won't even be playing the classic servers, so it really doesn't mean much to me. I'm just pointing out that it's probably a bad idea, and goes against the whole premise of what a classic server should be.
    Well then it comes to the question of what Blizzard will do. Will they focus around making the hardcore purist happy, making a complete copy of Vanilla and then just let it crash if it crashes or will they create a Vanilla experience, where the focus is on creating a Vanilla game to a big audience, who care little about the small things and who can carry the game for years to come. Both of them can be loyal to the principle of making a Vanilla game, they just react differently to the idea of small changes.

I still believe in his words, that people believe that they want this, but that they might be surprised about how things really were.... But that is also why it is important to make the experience very Vanilla, just so people can't complain back at Blizzard for not making a real Vanilla game
    The people who have played Vanilla will without a doubt be hit by the nostalgia wave and get a flashback to the times of Vanilla, but that still does not change, that they are not more important then other players. Whether you get hit by the nostalgia wave or not, you are still a paying player and if Blizzard want the players to be part of the design process, these non-vanilla player have just as much right to choose the edition as the vanilla players have.

If i could choose the design of Classic, i would really just have it be 100% Vanilla with no additions and just have it progress from 1.0 and forward with the same changes, that came with each patch. That way it is as purely a Vanilla experience as you can wish for, so the purist will be satisfied. Moreover non-Vanilla players will be able to see how a game evolved back in Vanilla and feel the huge difference, either loving it or hating it I am just tired of hearing people assume or presume that Vanilla-servers will fail or win, so getting an actual thing which i can point to for a fact on that matter is really all i wish for.

10+ Year Old Account
    -Patch 1.12.2 - The last patch before BC

-No QoL additions

-No Class balance changes

-Only bug fixes

-Nothing else

-Preserve that patch exactly as it was. No additions. No subtractions.

Also no BC servers. Server(s) exist as an alternative to live.
    You pay the same sub and can choose which one to play on each time you log in.
    It's not very realistic is it? Who wants a single patch for x amount of years? It's more likely they will follow the patch cycle that vanilla had and just leave out all the bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    first you have to have 30 decent raiders. and despite that you still need zg gear for priests on razuvious, you still need enough dps for patchwerk, you still need enough geared warriors for horsemen. and they have to be in for the long run.
    0.5 is preraid

MC will just need resis gear

..... I would actually suggest to just do them all over again Like blizz have the tech to make it possible, since they can tweak the events to match the playerbase size

No, after 2 years they would just stop There is nothing wrong in having a 2 year long process and then just having it end They are then open to make a new server and start from scratch or go TBC, but i would say having a 2 year process is enough for Blizzard to make their money back Also Blizzard have multiple ways to stop people from having their characters deleted or to have progress deleted, but then again, every expansion stops with its content and progress is reset all the time

So no, fixed 1.12.2 is by far not the only solution :=)
    So you didn't even stop once to consider where this madness would lead.
    I purposefully leave it out for you in hopes that you would get it but still nothing.
    It would lead to: a fractured community. 1 server for each patch- people are blind.
    Idea Refuted. End of story.

7+ Year Old Account
    What madness? This is just how any expansion would go, it goes forward and ends with a final patch
    And yes it might end with 1 server for each expansion, but that would be many years into the future and who knows if the servers will last that long If the community can handle being split into 2, then it can curtainly survive being split in the 3, especially when you don't expect many people to stay behind in the Vanilla version of the game after 2 years

You seem to be very close minded here and very bad at being creative with your mind. The idea is reinstated, start of story

What madness? This is just how any expansion would go, it goes forward and ends with a final patch
    And yes it might end with 1 server for each expansion, but that would be many years into the future and who knows if the servers will last that long If the community can handle being split into 2, then it can curtainly survive being split in the 3, especially when you don't expect many people to stay behind in the Vanilla version of the game after 2 years

You seem to be very close minded here and very bad at being creative with your mind. The idea is reinstated, start of story
    you are too open minded and your ideas end up in nothingness - too bubble-headed - its unfeasible and ultimately toxic for the community.
    It should not even slit up into 2 not to mention 3, but sadly the old zones and the feeling were irrevocably damaged in Cata.

This type of thing will be handled with BfA by visually and gameplay-wise like Arathi Highlands Warfront - or the burning of Teldrassil will also be instanced also akin to the Theramore bomb.
    by phasing the zones adjusted to max level specifically and not across the board forever for this to never happen again.
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2017-11-21 at 08:20 PM.