Justice Dept. investigating Harvard over affirmative action policies

It took awhile, but here we are. I am actually surprised that the DOJ decided to pursue this.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/politi...ent/index.html

My daughter was turned down by Harvard in 2007. No bitterness against Harvard, she ended up going to Berkeley and did extremely well. I am still curious to see if she would have been accepted if she had circled “white” instead of “Asian” under ethnicity. Which she is from her mother’s side.

A school (or business) should be able to admit or serve whomever it sees fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    A school (or business) should be able to admit or serve whomever it sees fit.
    Not if they are receiving federal money, they should be held to title 9 standards

Damn private universities not being forced to accept my unqualified daughter!
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Damn private universities not being forced to accept my unqualified daughter!
    In many cases they accept far less qualified minority applicants, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    In many cases they accept far less qualified minority applicants, though.
    Similarly, in many cases, a lot of the people who don't get in just like to cry about it being specifically due to race.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Deleted
    good, to hell with affirmative action

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    It took awhile, but here we are. I am actually surprised that the DOJ decided to pursue this.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/politi...ent/index.html

My daughter was turned down by Harvard in 2007. No bitterness against Harvard, she ended up going to Berkeley and did extremely well. I am still curious to see if she would have been accepted if she had circled “white” instead of “Asian” under ethnicity. Which she is from her mother’s side.
    You do realize Harvard has limited spots and has like a 5% acceptance rate right?? That rate means 4% of 4.0+ kids get in and 1% 2.0+ kids for Affirmative action and sports.

Deleted
    Wait... If the supreme court already made a ruling on this last year, how exactly would this case be valid?

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting a bunch of racist want to allow want to use Asians as a way of attacking another minority group this will be interesting when this bullshit is exposed as trying to pet puppet one group against another.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Getting into Harvard is typically harder than Berkeley and an influential parent would go a long way there as well.
    It's a good thing that they are investing that imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    You do realize Harvard has limited spots and has like a 5% acceptance rate right?? That rate means 4% of 4.0+ kids get in and 1% 2.0+ kids for Affirmative action and sports.
    Yep First world problems right?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I am still curious to see if she would have been accepted if she had circled “white” instead of “Asian” under ethnicity. Which she is from her mother’s side.

just a side note, whenever i fill out paper work and there is question about my race , i never put down White Caucasian because of affirmative action.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yep First world problems right?
    It's just funny when people get all upset about "Not getting into Harvard" when its literally just a lottery pick for 4.0+ kids. You could have been at the best school in your state with Valedictorian and you still might not get in. Like 10 million thousands applicants for a couple thousand spots. Not every little Jimmy gets in just because their grades are high enough to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Not if they are receiving federal money, they should be held to title 9 standards
    Get rid of Title IX. I'm saying what it should be, not what the law is. People need to stop trying to get the government involved with everything they do. But, if that's the path people want to take, then go after every single religious university, especially Liberty University. Go after every single church, every single charity. After all, they are propped up by the taxpayers, as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this is already devolving into race discussion, locking this here.