10+ Year Old Account

Angry Tennis organizers under fire for draw ceremony with models

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/06/te...row/index.html

Organizers apologized Monday for a ceremony involving female models provocatively revealing the letters "A" or "B" to determine the draw for the ATP's Next Gen Finals tennis tournament.

The ceremony on Sunday was supposed to highlight Milan's status in the fashion industry.

"The intention was to integrate Milan's rich heritage as one of the fashion capitals of the world," the ATP and sponsor Red Bull said in a statement. "However, our execution of the proceedings was in poor taste and unacceptable. We deeply regret this and will ensure that there is no repeat of anything like it in the future."

Earlier, two-time Grand Slam champion Amelie Mauresmo tweeted, "Disgrace," while Andy Murray's mother Judy added, "Awful."

Players were asked to select models who then revealed an "A" or a "B" to determine which group they will play in. One model pulled up her dress to reveal an "A" on her right thigh.

The Italian tennis federation declined comment, saying the ATP organized the draw ceremony.

The top seven 21-and-under players in the rankings plus one Italian wild-card entry qualified for the tournament, which starts Tuesday. The top-seeded players are Andrey Rublev and Karen Khachanov.

Top qualifier Alexander Zverev withdrew to focus on the main ATP finals next week in London.

Rublev, Canadian Denis Shapovalov, Chung Hyeon and Gianluigi Quinzi were drawn into Group A. Group B features Khachanov, Borna Coric, Jared Donaldson and Daniil Medvedev.

Writing for sport360.com, journalist Reem Abulleil, who was at the draw ceremony, wrote: "There was inappropriate dancing, gloves that were removed by a player's teeth, and many more cringe-worthy moments but I'll spare you the details.

"Most of the players looked visibly awkward, while some laughed their way through it. I personally felt deeply sad watching it all unfold."

The ceremony was sponsored by Red Bull and, in a joint statement, the drinks company and the ATP apologized for the offense which had been caused.
    "The intention was to integrate Milan's rich heritage as one of the fashion capitals of the world," read the statement.

"However, our execution of the proceedings was in poor taste and unacceptable. We deeply regret this and will ensure that there is no repeat of anything like it in the future."

What is this nonsense? Tennis is amazing. We don't need such cheap party tricks.
    Hopefully the organizers face disciplinary action and this location isn't chosen again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    You should change your username to take a stand against it. Let your voice be heard bruv.

Who cares?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Who cares?
    There was a lot of uproar over this. People thought it was a step backwards.

It's funny, if you post this with "people are outraged", the usual suspects will get all outraged up in arms about it.

On the other hand if you label it "cringeworthy" they'll probably be all on board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

"provocatively"

/snort

har har har

/fades into the shadows WITH MR. TIDDLES!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    "provocatively"

/snort

har har har

/fades into the shadows WITH MR. TIDDLES!
    I agree. Maybe in Canada they're more prude but I saw the image of the two women and their manner of dress doesn't even come close to what a lot of actresses wear on the red carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/06/te...row/index.html

What is this nonsense? Tennis is amazing. We don't need such cheap party tricks.
    Hopefully the organizers face disciplinary action and this location isn't chosen again.
    Doesnt seem that weird, I always thought of the professional tennis scene as entitled weirdo's. Was I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Doesnt seem that weird, I always thought of the professional tennis scene as entitled weirdo's. Was I wrong?
    Well there is Shinra1 who thinks everyone is out to get Serena Williams, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Well there is Shinra1 who thinks everyone is out to get Serena Williams, does that count?
    wasnt she the one that said she didnt want her kid to take up tennis because of the "pressure"

Shes clearly never worked a day in her life. If swinging a racket for millions is so much pressure

American society is far too regressive and backwards with sexuality. Things like these are welcomed

Something nobody seems to take into consideration is the culture surrounding the sport.

Take boxing, or MMA. Ring girls are a part of that sport's culture, for better or worse. Not the case with tennis. Trying to force that into tennis' culture will get that sort of reaction from people involved in the sport, and rightfully so. The same would happen if you tried that stunt in golf, for instance.

It's just common sense, really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    There was a lot of uproar over this. People thought it was a step backwards.
    There was a 'lot of uproar' over a sausageroll.... They're called sados

7+ Year Old Account
    Tennis would actually be interesting if there were more scantily-clad women.