Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When Classic is over...

What then? Do we progress the story with BC and the subsequent changes that come with it and the eventual changes that you hate?

Or does classic simply become a level 60 twink bracket?

I would like to see systems like Ever Quest has with their locked servers. They have a few different ways, the mains ones being...

Time - They unlock expansions every X months

Vote - The players on the server actually vote to see if the server moves to the new xpac.

Deleted
    Good question! We need info about that. My guess is a lvl60 twink bracket.

I'm interested to watch purists who "all asked for the same thing" having different opinion about that.

There are a couple of ways they might take this. You could do sort of a "reset" which private servers have done in the past. Hop on a new server and start from scratch. Or they could go on to "Classic BC" and so on.

How's this for a crazy thought: Continue to develop new content while all the cool lore-characters are still alive :O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by etforde View Post
    There are a couple of ways they might take this. You could do sort of a "reset" which private servers have done in the past. Hop on a new server and start from scratch. Or they could go on to "Classic BC" and so on.

How's this for a crazy thought: Continue to develop new content while all the cool lore-characters are still alive :O
    People dont play p servers because they dont want to loose a character with time invested, the day the server is closed. The reset option sucks. If you decide to play couple months before reset, you just don't and wait for the reset ? Surprise reset? Lol

If they release BC servers (and wotlk etc), just seperate them from classic servers and allow character transfer from classic to BC, then everybody can still experience the world they want without changes from the future.
    Last edited by mmoc051d140155; 2017-11-30 at 10:28 PM.

imo every ~2 years move the characters to the next expansion and reboot classic

nothing happens, you have classic forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    nothing happens, you have classic forever.
    Agreed.

I hope they treat it like an independent game. If you’re bored of Vanilla, you’ve done all you’ve wanted then great. You can move on to another game. Vanilla should stay Vanilla. The whole point of Classic is to move back not forward anyway.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

I hope they will release fresh servers every now and then. The presence of Zul'Gurub alone waters down a lot of the gaming experience for new characters and players, but resetting the server would destroy many slowly progressing guilds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    What then? Do we progress the story with BC and the subsequent changes that come with it and the eventual changes that you hate?

Or does classic simply become a level 60 twink bracket?
    Copy/paste to tbc servers.
    Private uses this method.

10+ Year Old Account
    the "Reset" option is what happens when Blizzard starts throwing C&D letters.

Retail Classic won't have a forced reset. maybe an incentive to play on the "NEW!!!" servers, but there's not going to be a reset on your progress outside of the fate of many private servers, Shutdown.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Deleted
    Well forever classic and with copy&transfer char option with release of one new classic server for those who didn't play classic when the first servers got released.

Deleted
    You can actually beat the game this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Teippi View Post
    imo every ~2 years move the characters to the next expansion and reboot classic
    I hope that do that too, only slightly modified. Say they open up 4 servers, at least 1 of them should be locked at Vanilla and never move from there. People that want Vanilla can always get Vanilla because it will always exist as Classic. After that, the other 3 can move, going on to the next expansion where after two years, one of them locks in, staying forever a TBC Classic server.

As long as they are up front about it to begin with and go "Classic server 1 will always be locked, Classic 2 will lock at TBC, Classic 3 at WotLK, etc" from the start, that shouldn't be a problem.

While I like the idea of them rebooting every 2 years, I feel to do so for those that just want to forever be in one expansion over the others, being forced to relevel again and again every two years might be a bit excessive, especially considering the time investment that Vanilla WoW was in terms of even just leveling. Two weeks of actual played days was extremely common for someone to level from 1 - 60 back then. Now, you can get from 1 - 110 in 2-4 played days. For someone that is only able to play 2 hours a day, it would take the better part of 6 months to even level one character to 60, let along gear them, and do all the raids in the remaining 18 months time before the wipe would come and reset them back to nothing. That's not even factoring in that person playing on BfA at all, which would just eat even further into their time before the reset. If the server is stagnant at Vanilla forever, then they can do it at their pace, no questions asked.

They release fresh servers, oh wait they can't because we wanted authentic 1.1 to 1.12 progression the first time so all subsequent servers will be fucked and have to start with 1.12.

I fully anticipate there to be a subsection of Vanilla players who will consider Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot the "real" version of WoW and petition Blizzard endlessly to develop this. After all, it worked for Runescape.

You will never yorself reach that point, so don't worry about it.

Deleted
    Im 100% sure that they go like in Diablo seasons - they reset every 1-2 years(current classic alts will go to retails servers or just get deleted).

What do you mean "over"?

Seriously, I don't play MMORPGs for their "story", for that I have single player RPGs.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strifeload View Post
    Im 100% sure that they go like in Diablo seasons - they reset every 1-2 years(current classic alts will go to retails servers or just get deleted).
    The reason I don't play on the pirated Vanilla servers because I really don't like the idea that all of my characters can just go poof any day, any moment. Moving them to retail would essentially mean that for me as I have zero interest in the game.

I managed to go through the entirety of vanilla with only 1 character and had enough things to do with it. Only created an alt in TBC.

Friend at work suggested that if they wanted to do "progression" without forcing the Vanilla people to suffer the taint of TBC, then they could do seperate servers, with a one way free Server Transfer option.

Ie: you have a classic 1.0 server, that caps at patch 1.12 (or whatever iteration of Vanilla they decide to go with), but progress as far as raids / zones / etc stops there. No new content is added. So it basically ends as a level 60 twink bracket. After a year or two, they release "Classic 2.0", which is the TBC patch and all associated content. Except that they release it as a new server, and give people the option to Transfer their Classic 1.0 character over should they so desire, free of charge. However, once you transfer up, you can never transfer back down. People who want to continue their Classic experience can, people who want to stay locked in Classic 1 can do that too, and nobody ever has to worry about mixing their experiences.