Can I learn to be manipulative?

The question being can someone learn to be as Influencial as Manson, Joel Osteen, Hitler, or even Mensk from StarCraft though practiced speachcraft?

What in your opinion is the secret sauce?

Arcturus Mengsk. There's a name that is synonymous with terror, betrayal and violence. A living example of the ends justifying the means. The assassin of the Confederacy of Man. The hero of the blasted world of Korhal IV. King of the universe. A savage barbarian who never let anything or anyone get in his way. And yet, he is charming, erudite and intelligent. When you're in his presence you feel that he's really listening to you, that your opinions matter, that you're someone important if you agree with him. It's amazing. I have often wondered if men like Mengsk don't carry around their own reality-warping bubbles, and all who fall in are suddenly transported to another dimension where the hellish things he says and does suddenly make sense. At least, that's the effect he always had on me.

Michael Liberty

Of course you can! I suggest you practice lying. Let people know you're a liar and figure out ways to make them believe you anyway. Find out what makes them tick and what you can do and say to suggest, subtly, that you're worth following. Observe others and figure out what kind of things they want to hear. Sometimes a small concession can go a long way even if it was overall meaningless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha yes, but you don't need to learn it, you are already manipulative, it is a natural instinct most people with moderate intelligence have. If you mean can you learn to do it better and consciously, UHHH YES and NO.

If you mean that bogus bullshit such as the garbage on Youtube such as reading Micro expressions, or body signs, most of that is a bunch of bullshit, there is REAL SCIENCE behind it just as that for say a Stress Test AKA Lie Detector.

Now if you actually study science in terms of going to school getting a degree and training in the discipline of say Psychology, then yes you can learn to manipulate others in a real way, although you probably won't make a lot of money doing it.

The other way is to work with people try security, any kind of job where you are interacting with other people, shit even retail can give you a better idea or as good of an idea as anybody else except for as I said someone who goes to school for years and trains in human Psychology.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's easier to manipulate someone if you know their weakness. But you can also manipulate people with their strengths if you are intelligent.

The art of manipulation is making someone think you understand what it is like to be them, from there you can actually change who they are through subtle and slow changes to what you want them to be. By constantly telling them what you want them to believe and then reinforcing it by constantly reminding them how much alike you are. It's how Politicians do it.

Just look at someone like Hillary Clinton. A Multi-millionaire socialite and general all round elitist. Yet tried to connect and pretend to be one of the "People" even though their "shared" outlook on life was anywhere but similar. She played on peoples fears, pretended to be one of them and suggested they work together to fight the same "Enemy" when the people that followed her were nothing close to having the same lives.

If you learn to play on peoples fear or happiness. Manipulation comes pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doranian123 View Post
    What in your opinion is the secret sauce?
    The secret to manipulating people? Being able to figure out what people are willing to buy.

How do you get manipulated by people? Be willing to buy what people want to sell.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-12-06 at 07:07 AM.

I basically just want to learn to appeal to people in such a way they are motivated to buy my shitty ebook or wide variety of other things, such as getting more women.

It seems like a lot of frustration to master

Sociopathy/Psychopathy is one, but you probably can't learn this. What you can do is study psychology/sociology in relation to advertising, such as behaviorism and conditioning.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    To do it, you will need to overcome adversity and push your determination to extremes. You will need to overcome the irrationality fed by raging hormones. First, you'll need the right tools:

CAUTION: *Get medical advice before undertaking any form of extreme training or body modification!*

Remember though, this is a technique that has allowed men to rise to power for centuries and may even be associated with almost 20 years of extra life. http://www.bbc.com/news/health-19699266
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Problem with all your examples is, you only read how "manipulative" they were. Hell Mensk is fictional and only fictional for all people he "manipulated" are people written by the same person. If you look at these examples the level of manipulation is very low compared how you are getting manipulated all your life.

Byung Chul Han compared once the "successful" PISA-countries, finland and south korea: In South Korea students are beaten to be good, in Finland they honestly believe it's a good thing to be good. And he noted that he would always chose to live in South Korea over Finland, for he can at least shrug off the beatings one day. That's not possible for Fins. I recommend reading up some Foucault quotes to get a grasp what power is and how disciplinary power is its weakest form.

Deleted
    The idea of being "manipulative" is, in my IMHO, overdone. Trying to practice some clever strategem to deceive people is way overcooked in films and such, because your clever strategem will fly over the heads of most people who were not paying attention. It is like trying to bluff a really bad player at the poker table who doesn't know what a good hand is.

- - - Updated - - -

I basically just want to learn to appeal to people in such a way they are motivated to buy my shitty ebook or wide variety of other things, such as getting more women.

It seems like a lot of frustration to master
    Two different goals really.

Online google decides what people buy. You are appealling to their algorithm. What works for me pretty well is typing in a bunch of queries to do with what I'm selling and seeing what autocomplete entries come up, then cut and pasting those into a title or keywords. Most of the other stuff people go on about doesn't seem to impact digital marketing much.

Women are different. Be clean, dress as nicely as you can afford (doesn't have to be expensive, just don't look scary), talk to as many people and women as you can, use a time constraint so they know they aren't trapped in a conversation, try and make women feel relaxed, touch in neutral areas when trust has been established and feels natural. Talk about positive things. Pick-up women in groups of friends during the night and solo during the day. Use confident posture and body language. Mostly it is common sense. Ignore some of the more extreme advice you get from PUA literature, it is just padding.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2017-12-06 at 12:21 PM.

The question being can someone learn to be as Influencial as Manson, Joel Osteen, Hitler
    Well if that's your target, you don't need any practice at oratory - just find an audience full of drugged out hippies, religious loons, angry wannabe fascists or just garden variety morons. They're always easy to manipulate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Just look at someone like Hillary Clinton. A Multi-millionaire socialite and general all round elitist. Yet tried to connect and pretend to be one of the "People" even though their "shared" outlook on life was anywhere but similar. She played on peoples fears, pretended to be one of them and suggested they work together to fight the same "Enemy" when the people that followed her were nothing close to having the same lives.
    Huh, kind of reminds me of another multi-millionaire, this guy lived in a gold house and tried to convince people he was on the side of the average worker. Played on people's fears of the enemy across the border.

Can't remember his name...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well if that's your target, you don't need any practice at oratory - just find an audience full of drugged out hippies, religious loons, angry wannabe fascists or just garden variety morons. They're always easy to manipulate.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, kind of reminds me of another multi-millionaire, this guy lived in a gold house and tried to convince people he was on the side of the average worker. Played on people's fears of the enemy across the border.

Can't remember his name...
    Bernie Sanders?

Bernie Sanders?
    At best 1/3 on that one, sorry try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks

1. Encourage people to talk about themselves
    It gives their brain as much pleasure as food or money:

Talking about ourselves — whether in a personal conversation or through social media sites like Facebook and Twitter — triggers the same sensation of pleasure in the brain as food or money, researchers reported Monday…

"Self-disclosure is extra rewarding," said Harvard neuroscientist Diana Tamir, who conducted the experiments with Harvard colleague Jason Mitchell. Their findings were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. "People were even willing to forgo money in order to talk about themselves," Ms. Tamir said. [The Wall Street Journal]

https://theweek.com/articles/455043/...ersation-hacks

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Bernie Sanders?
    donald dump?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    I'm going to disagree there. Subtle signs in body language can tell you a ton of info about that person mindset and receptiveness. Avoiding eye contact or looking down at the floor is a sign of low confidence. Crossing your arms (this a pain in the ass for me because I find crossing my arms is comfortable while standing up) is a sign you're not going to take advice or even belligerent.

Being manipulative however is little more than a carrot on a stick. Entice the person. Make them feel like they're apart of something. However some people are going to be damn near impossible to bend to your will. Don't press these people. It won't end well.
    No what I said before is True the nonsense on YouTube or TV is utter nonsense. I mean I seen David Copperfield make some couple in his audience magically appear in Hawaii instantly from New York live. while everyone watched. Yet a Travel agent can do the same thing except it takes longer and you have to get on a plane.

What the Agent does is real what David Copperfield does is BS.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis