Poll: Have you ever known anyone on welfare or been on it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever known anyone on welfare or been on it?

Have you ever known anyone on welfare or been in it?

If so what’s your experience and what is your opinion?

Personally I’ve known people on it and I’ve been on it when I was a kid if that still counts. I’m not now. I’ve known some who are between SSDI and SSI as well.

My personal opinion is that these are great and good programs for those in need and I never think we should do away with them, this includes other programs as well. I do think the funds should be better managed and more oversight. But mostly at the administrative level not service this goes along with unemployment. I do believe in taking care of those in need before anything else how about you?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Get £1000 a month, so I can sit and watch hentai all day.
    Thanks tax payers

Infracted - spam
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2017-12-12 at 10:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to Canada a lot for work and got to know quite a few people. They have a whole "welfare culture" group there where nobody works and just smoke weed/cigs all the time. They also pump out babies for the baby bonus the government hands out. It's really a sad situation going on but the government there just enables it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is a good thing temporary to help some families. But there should be a system in place to make sure they are not dependent on it for years. When I was a kid, being in a very poor family of migrant workers, if it was not for help form churches and government food assistance, I would never had anything to eat at times when farm work was in low demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadee View Post
    I was going to Canada a lot for work and got to know quite a few people. They have a whole "welfare culture" group there where nobody works and just smoke weed/cigs all the time. They also pump out babies for the baby bonus the government hands out. It's really a sad situation going on but the government there just enables it.
    Sounds like Trailer Park Boys love that show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I think it is a good thing temporary to help some families. But there should be a system in place to make sure they are not dependent on it for years. When I was a kid, being in a very poor family of migrant workers, if it was not for help form churches and government food assistance, I would never had anything to eat at times when farm work was in low demand.
    Yeah I sort of agree that last part nobody should go to bed hungry especially a kid. I don’t mean hungry for life but an empty belly no excuse for that.

voted other for no/no never been on it, but support it

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people support welfare? It just enables moochers.

I'm all for job works programs... not for handing out "free money".
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm on SSDI right now. I hate having to be on it, but I'm in no shape to work the way I once did. I'm looking for something though and with luck, I can be off it again soon. Its not what people on Fox try and make it out to be. I went from making $60,000+ a year to just a hair over $16,000 on SSDI. My monthly check is about $120 more than my mortgage payment alone. Luckily my wife is working and pretty much keeping us afloat (barely).

Why do people support welfare? It just enables moochers.
    Because a lot of people really need it.

Personally I applied for food stamps once after being laid off from my job but there was a snafu with the system and I ended up getting a new job before I actually received any.

Yes, I was on food stamps during graduate school. I was pulling 2 different 20 hour jobs and a 12 hour class load; it was exhausting and I made negative money. The food stamps were helpful but I still went 30k in debt; without welfare, I'd have gone an extra 5k in debt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was on it for two and a half years at one point.... If there was anything that makes you feel really dirty it's having to go to the job centre every week seeing these lazy layabouts who cannot be assed to get a job and will not bother to even try all the while you tell yourself "why am I here?"

Going there gave me horrible depression as I was literally one of the few feeling like I was actually trying, it really drags you down, and being unemployed as a whole is a horrible feeling, I feel glad I am out of that mess. It's all enough to make you never want to be unemployed again.

It's been 12 years since those dark times :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-12-12 at 02:35 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Because a lot of people really need it.

Personally I applied for food stamps once after being laid off from my job but there was a snafu with the system and I ended up getting a new job before I actually received any.
    I would starve before lowering myself to welfare. I'm no moocher. Luckily that will never happen because I have such a strong work ethic.

Being on welfare is shame incarnate. My dad had to be on welfare over a summer when he suddenly was laid off due to sickness. Not only did he have to struggle with the tumour growing behind his ear, but he then also had to go through the inhumane process that is qualifying for welfare.

He soldiered through, and has never needed welfare again. He's paid taxes his entire life, and has the strongest work ethic of anyone I know and still the system treated him like a freeloader when he did need help, which is disgusting beyond words.

I would starve before lowering myself to welfare. I'm no moocher. Luckily that will never happen because I have such a strong work ethic.
    The people most full of themselves, sitting upon a high horse tend to make the loudest noice when they fall.

And when those people are as arrogant as yourself, I almost wish it upon them. Almost.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-12-12 at 02:42 PM.

Does the dole count? I was on it between leaving college and getting a job. Can't remember how long... the months blended together after a while.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Does being on unemployment benefits between two jobs count for the purposes of present poll? Or do you just mean long-term social assistance?

I've been on the dole every now and then, never longer than three months (and that was when the last crisis blew my whole department away).

Deleted

If so what’s your experience and what is your opinion?

Personally I’ve known people on it and I’ve been on it when I was a kid if that still counts. I’m not now. I’ve known some who are between SSDI and SSI as well.

My personal opinion is that these are great and good programs for those in need and I never think we should do away with them, this includes other programs as well. I do think the funds should be better managed and more oversight. But mostly at the administrative level not service this goes along with unemployment. I do believe in taking care of those in need before anything else how about you?
    Yes, me.
    It's a fucking terrible life full of uncertainty and lots of begging, hoping you've enough money to scrape by and that you can rely on the help of your family and friends. I can't recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Does being on unemployment benefits between two jobs count for the purposes of present poll? Or do you just mean long-term social assistance?

I've been on the dole every now and then, never longer than three months (and that was when the last crisis blew my whole department away).
    Yes it counts working not working you are trying to sustain your life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Yes, me.
    It's a fucking terrible life full of uncertainty and lots of begging, hoping you've enough money to scrape by and that you can rely on the help of your family and friends. I can't recommend it.
    I know what you mean back when I was a kid in the 80’s

We had food stamps like booklets. And it was embarrassing as a kid. All the stigma attached.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Does the dole count? I was on it between leaving college and getting a job. Can't remember how long... the months blended together after a while.
    Sure not sure how food stamps are or welfare is handled in other countries.

Yes it counts working not working you are trying to sustain your life.
    Well, I asked because casual netspeech equals welfare to not wanting to work for your keep.

yes I've been on it and no i don't support it in its current form. The system needs to promote working and trying to find work. i'd also like to see it adjusted so people that are responsible and have a savings / oh shit fund don't have to drain it completely before getting assistance.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22