Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    As someone who has played for a long time I can see the very obvious increase in scope and size of games these days, all while EVERYTHING else has increased in price by at least double if not triple. Games have stay really close to their price from over 30 years ago. I'm very much ok with games adding optional content for prices and help increase profits while keeping games cost as a whole down.

I would much rather but a game for 20-50$ with mtx than spend 100+ for the game with a bunch of optional stuff I don't care about.
    I was ok with Kickstarter and Patreon for crowdfunding independent developers. If Singularity 6 did that rather than a cash shop, i'd sing a totally different tune.

Now you may ask, what is the difference. FOMO. While I don't suffer it, it is pretty clear that a sizable amount of gamers cannot seem to shake it off. The microtransactions come with something you will get in game. Those who suffer FOMO will gravitate to it. Of course, do what one will wish with their cash. But these companies know what they are doing, and know that enough gamers have a level of FOMO that will guarantee sales.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthorite View Post
    I mean as I said it'll hurt the devs in the long run... It always does with smaller games like this.

- - - Updated - - -

You're on a public forum. Outside of the function the site has built in you don't get to decide who can talk to who here.
    I mean if you want to discuss something I'm all game. just don't take statements aimed directly at one person as if I was talking about you personally.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I mean if you want to discuss something I'm all game. just don't take statements aimed directly at one person as if I was talking about you personally.
    Never said otherwise. You chose to respond to my response, you could have left it alone.

Again you are on a public forum. You aren't the arbiter of who can talk to who.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Now you may ask, what is the difference. FOMO. While I don't suffer it, it is pretty clear that a sizable amount of gamers cannot seem to shake it off. The microtransactions come with something you will get in game. Those who suffer FOMO will gravitate to it. Of course, do what one will wish with their cash. But these companies know what they are doing, and know that enough gamers have a level of FOMO that will guarantee sales.
    fomo and using info to increase sales is not something that is solely used in gaming. it's a standard across ALL markets.

that super market you buy from? they do studies to see where placement if items will draw attention to them to increase sales. they run flashy sales and offer points to draw you in. Do you boycott any other markets that use these same tactics?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luthorite View Post
    Never said otherwise. You chose to respond to my response, you could have left it alone.

Again you are on a public forum. You aren't the arbiter of who can talk to who.
    where did I say otherwise?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    fomo and using info to increase sales is not something that is solely used in gaming. it's a standard across ALL markets.

that super market you buy from? they do studies to see where placement if items will draw attention to them to increase sales. they run flashy sales and offer points to draw you in. Do you boycott any other markets that use these same tactics?
    FOMO is something that once I learned and understood it, became a major factor in how I spend my time and money. While I can't boycott the entire economic world, I try to be conscious of it whenever I can. Its one of those things you cannot easily avoid in today's world. But I honestly do try.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

FOMO in this context means fluctuating selections and limited time discounts. Overwatch 2 does it big time, where as Palia doesn't at all. Any bundles that have been released for seasonal events and such are still available for purchase. OW2 would dangle them before us for two or three weeks, then remove them from the store until maybe offering them again next year if at all. This matters, since the cost is kind of ludicrous in both games, making you really want to contemplate in peace before deciding to make the purchase. There is no fear of missing out when the option is always available to you.

Although I remain unconvinced the clothes shop will be enough to support the game long-term. Ignoring whales, you'd think people paying premium price for a set would be satisfied with that single purchase for a long time. Then there are those with the mental fortitude to not pony up at all and just enjoy the free offerings (which I think are pretty good in Palia, if a bit mild with the color options). The clothes shop feels too small-ball to keep the gears running, so I think the game will either eventually fold or Singularity 6 will change their model.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

That is not exploiting FOMO.
    Also, you need food to live. You cant simply stop consuming food. You can be a more conscious consumer and avoid brand and products.
    I hope you have fun with your strawman on that slipper slope.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Also, you need food to live. You cant simply stop consuming food. You can be a more conscious consumer and avoid brand and products.
    It's almost like the solution to this problem is education and being a responsible adult or something.....

but nah its bad when game companies do it
    3 Major Rules of World of Warcraft Players:
    1. No one on earth wants to play World of Warcraft less than other World of Warcraft players.
    2. The desire to win>The desire for anything else in World of Warcraft. NO EXCEPTIONS
    3. Efficiency will be king no matter how you think it will improve the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr View Post
    Clean? Check.

Saturated colors? Check.

Well defined lines? Check.

Cell shading? Check.

Looking like an average phone game? Check.

Pixar/Disney looking characters and animation? Check.

Why do games nowadays have to look eerily similar? This looks like, jacked straight from Freefire/Overwatch/Fortnite/Valorant and countless phone games filled to the brim with microtransactions. It's a no from me dawg. Carebear games ain't my type.
    Yeah this art style turns me away.
    Same with the new marvel 6vs6 trash.

Pumpkin spice latte says hi.

It's not even a strawman, it's a very valid point, especially in the food area. Have a short run popular flavor, mix in another similar new flavors along side of that to get people to buy more on the "well I should try it/enjoy it while it's here!".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's a F2P game dude, not a premium title with MTX jammed in. F2P games have always been supported by MTX so I'm unsure how we could "give up" as you so creatively express. If there was no cash shop the entire genre would fold, with dozens of great games going with it.

I don't see how this is "worse and worse" or anything beyond the times changing (open beta being "launch" is, again, very old, shit's been going on for at least a decade) or bumps in the road (MTX drama post-launch that's since been quiet, apparently).

Unsure why you're seemingly carrying around some grudge you refuse to drop. I know some of it may be shouting at clouds that things change, but like...the whole showing our soft belly's to MTX shops is weird.
    You must spend a lot of money on MTX the way you are arguing and defending it's practice in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    It's almost like the solution to this problem is education and being a responsible adult or something.....

but nah its bad when game companies do it
    Yes, they are. Because exploiting FOMO is bad thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Pumpkin spice latte says hi.

It's not even a strawman, it's a very valid point, especially in the food area. Have a short run popular flavor, mix in another similar new flavors along side of that to get people to buy more on the "well I should try it/enjoy it while it's here!".
    Yes, but the original argument was about grocery stores. Not "extra" like overpriced coffe (non essential) or something. And ofc they do it because it works, same with seasonal meals in KFC or Mac.
    Precisely because it exploits FOMO. This is argument that FOMO is exploitative and not that it is ok to do.

Played it for like... 20 minutes or so a few months back. There's nothing there. It's a player housing MMO. You're better off just playing a different MMO with player housing as it likely won't give you BS timers to wait through.

Also a horrible lack of diversity on character creation when I played it, which is shocking given the devs' insistence on inclusivity. Basically, when I played, you were locked to mostly tanned or darker skin tones, no pale tones or other colors because. You were also locked to just a thin body type. Felt like Zuckerberg's metaverse.

Game was also floaty as hell to move around in, as if it were made for mobile. If you've ever played Tower of Fantasy, it felt like that to run around.

10+ Year Old Account
    is food the only thing they sell at supermarkets? No books? no cookware? No a single other product but food? and surely no junk food either right?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, but the original argument was about grocery stores. Not "extra" like overpriced coffe (non essential) or something. And ofc they do it because it works, same with seasonal meals in KFC or Mac.
    Precisely because it exploits FOMO. This is argument that FOMO is exploitative and not that it is ok to do.
    Our local grocery store has a starbucks right in the middle of the entryway.

is food the only thing they sell at supermarkets? No books? no cookware? No a single other product but food? and surely no junk food either right?

- - - Updated - - -

Our local grocery store has a starbucks right in the middle of the entryway.
    Different cultures tho. Out doesnt.

And i specifically said that you can be conscious consumer. Even with food, which is essential to survival.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I had alot of fun when it went into beta, but I typically like to dink around, get used to systems, learn controls and stuff, then restart the game and make my main. When I started, there was no way to make a new character, you made your original and that was that, so I decided to wait. If there's a way to make alts or otherwise start the again over from the beginning again; I'll probably give it another go; in these kinds of games I tend to really enjoy the early stages more than whatever "end game" is.

Plus stardew 1.6 just came out, when the intro music swells it never fails to provoke a smile in me; its like going home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is impossible to avoid that fear though. People buy games at or around launch so they don't miss out on anything. So the multiplayer aspects are "alive" versus "dead". I use those terms generally to denote popularity between new and old.

A lot of things exploit it to one degree or another. It isn't bad because they use it but it can be bad if it is used to much.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2024-03-29 at 04:21 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Different cultures tho. Out doesnt.

And i specifically said that you can be conscious consumer. Even with food, which is essential to survival.
    Wouldn't same said "conscious consumer" be aware of same said marketing in games?

The art style can only be described as cheap, the graphics themselves are too. Graphics aren’t that important, but art style is. Otherwise, it looks very similar to a 3D Stardew Valley. Because it looks so similar to Stardew valley other types of similar games. It makes me think it is a genre entry trying to cash in on these games by swapping into 3-D. Only reviews will tell if they can pull it off, but from what I see the deck is stacked against them.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, well, I am very proud of the gaming community for speaking out against micro transactions, y’all need to learn the difference between an irrelevant micro transaction that one can safely ignore, and the abusive type of micro transaction that plays on FOMO. For example, the micro transactions and dragons dogma two are meaningless, but y’all are making a big deal about the stupid shit for no reason..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    The art style can only be described as cheap, the graphics themselves are too. Graphics aren’t that important, but art style is. Otherwise, it looks very similar to a 3D Stardew Valley. Because it looks so similar to Stardew valley other types of similar games. It makes me think it is a genre entry trying to cash in on these games by swapping into 3-D.
    Why is that a bad thing? Also this isn't even close to the first 3d "Stardw Valley" type of game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."