Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Not the person you’re asking but I feel power armor in any live action walks a fine line. Too flimsy or too heavy and it doesn’t seem like a viable option either for protection or mobility. It’s tough to get that Goldilocks point for PA. This PA looks too flimsy. I didn’t have as much a problem with the fly-down for a dramatic entrance, just that it wasn’t as convincingly heavy as it should seem. In no way am I going to go “0/10 show” and start blogging about it. To me the effects and certain choices are going to be far secondary to the story(s) they plan to tell, and that has a good feel so far.
    Probably due to them using practical effects versus CGI, even though it could be CGI. Would be odd if it was CGI and still looked like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Ive not played the more recent games and can't remember if flying power armour was a thing in them?

did you think that looked good?
    Power armor was able to get a jetpack installed in Fallout 4 and 76, however it didn't have the arm thrusters shown in the series. Nor is it for delicate movement.

I think it looked good enough. Power Armor is a huge thing and maneuvering in the air is probably kind of difficult. In the games you mostly use it to jump higher and hover a bit in the air before you are thrust into the ground
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Power armor was able to get a jetpack installed in Fallout 4 and 76, however it didn't have the arm thrusters shown in the series. Nor is it for delicate movement.

I think it looked good enough. Power Armor is a huge thing and maneuvering in the air is probably kind of difficult. In the games you mostly use it to jump higher and hover a bit in the air before you are thrust into the ground

Fair enough, thanks.

Keeping fingers crossed

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Fair enough, thanks.

Keeping fingers crossed
    No problem

Hopefully we get a good series!
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

It's nice to see at least some people are trying to keep an open mind about this series.

Too many people are so cynical about everything now that, even before any footage or photography was released...they simply decided it was going to be shit and now nothing will convince them otherwise.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    It's nice to see at least some people are trying to keep an open mind about this series.

Too many people are so cynical about everything now that, even before any footage or photography was released...they simply decided it was going to be shit and now nothing will convince them otherwise.
    There's been plenty of terrible adaptations/sequals to be worried about.

Heck the Halo show the last 2 months has been a great reminder of how bad an adaptation can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post

I can see why people get like that, it's really easy to get beaten down by all the bad adaptations, I'm pretty sure I have before.

The only reason I'm optimistic about this is the good trailers fat outweigh the bad ones up to now

I can't play halo these days it feels too arcady to me, but I did play combat evolved when the original xbox was released and that was fire to play co-op at the time. and mess around with your friends.

I don't really remember it having much story though, at least not much more story that you couldn't explain in a single paragraph. the game was like 90% you killing aliens and 10% pressing buttons or running to the next button. that they made a tv show out of it at all was quite impressive to me, and while I don't play the games I didn't really mind the show, its a bit slow but, my memory of halo doesn't really recall that much in the way of story. hell the game only really gets interesting when you start getting flood like half way through the game. then at least you get some crazy 3 way scenarios. I think the last episode I saw looked like it was about to get to what would be the start of CE.

I saw people complaining that master chief takes his helmet off too much and I thought, I wonder if they could make a half-life tv show where gordon freeman doesn't speak. and whether that could actually work. to me I just accept that some concessions are going to have to be made since games and tv shows are two completely different mediums. some decisions just don't translate that well, like having an actor repeat the same 3 idle animations for 20 minutes, or spent 5 minutes sorting their inventory, you can reference stuff like this as a passing joke but you can't take things directly from one and expect them to work just as well in the other. with TV you expect to see some sort of emotion in the character, thats how you relate to them. why pay for a high end or decent actor if they never get to show any range.. its just one of those things that isn't going to translate from one medium to the other.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2024-03-21 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    There's been plenty of terrible adaptations/sequals to be worried about.
    Plenty of good ones too.

Heck the Halo show the last 2 months has been a great reminder of how bad an adaptation can be.
    Hey, I'm not saying every adaptation is perfect...but some people already wrote this show off as bad before even seeing a clip.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    At this point, with the info we have from the trailer/teaser, it's all about attention to detail (or lack thereof). Everything comes off as cheap so fart. Even something as simple as the clothing and props: for being a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the clothing and props looks too sterile and clean (like they just bought the stuff from a store and put it on). Nothing looks like it's been worn, everything looks like a fake prop. The use of the props don't indicate anything of weight, either. If this was a 10-15mil budget show, I could probably just brush it off as a budget restriction... but even then that's be super generous as there's shows/films that present themselves way better with that sort of budget.
    I don’t disagree in general, but to me Fallout has a very specific tone, and some of it is winking at the player who’s in on the joke. There’s so much ridiculous stuff in the series that in no way should anyone take it overly seriously. To me the success of this show, outside of the obvious concern of being entertained, is walking a pretty damn narrow line between serious and absurd.

For instance, the audience should laugh at a protectron, and the characters should be deathly afraid of it. The Mysterious Stranger should save the main characters ass as a deus ex, and we should smile knowingly. Radiation should be simultaneously a major concern and a joke you pop a pill to cure. Each area we visit looking like an obvious set piece. If they keep that kind of consistent tone, I can put up with a lot. Perhaps they’re just being lazy, wasted money, and had too many chefs in the kitchen. we’ll all know in a few short weeks.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I can't play halo these days it feels too arcady to me, but I did play combat evolved when the original xbox was released and that was fire to play co-op at the time. and mess around with your friends.

I don't really remember it having much story though, at least not much more story that you couldn't explain in a single paragraph. the game was like 90% you killing aliens and 10% pressing buttons or running to the next button. that they made a tv show out of it at all was quite impressive to me, and while I don't play the games I didn't really mind the show, its a bit slow but, my memory of halo doesn't really recall that much in the way of story. hell the game only really gets interesting when you start getting flood like half way through the game. then at least you get some crazy 3 way scenarios. I think the last episode I saw looked like it was about to get to what would be the start of CE.

I saw people complaining that master chief takes his helmet off too much and I thought, I wonder if they could make a half-life tv show where gordon freeman doesn't speak. and whether that could actually work. to me I just accept that some concessions are going to have to be made since games and tv shows are two completely different mediums. some decisions just don't translate that well, like having an actor repeat the same 3 idle animations for 20 minutes, or spent 5 minutes sorting their inventory, you can reference stuff like this as a passing joke but you can't take things directly from one and expect them to work just as well in the other. with TV you expect to see some sort of emotion in the character, thats how you relate to them. why pay for a high end or decent actor if they never get to show any range.. its just one of those things that isn't going to translate from one medium to the other.
    Sorry, wrong topic. This is the Fallout, not the Halo one.
    /spit@Blizzard

It was mostly in response to the above, I've seen various people upset about Halo, likewise video game adaptations, I just thought Halo seemed reasonably on point as far as these tv shows and movies have been in recent years it's in the better half both in terms of production quality and matching the tone of the games having some sort of story. Or at least it's closer to being what you'd expect from an adaptation. Honestly, difficult to think of a really 'good' video game adaptation.

For fallout, Bethesda have had the licence for a while now, since they took over I don't think it lost much in terms of tone, the first two games were bleaker, maybe. But for the most part I think it's remained reasonably consistent to the tone of the first two games. At this point, there is more Bethesda content than there is original. But seeing as they have had a direct hand in this TV show it gives me some hope that at least it's a story they wanted to tell, vs it just being handed off to whoever to make. Whether or not it'll work is anyone guess, but there is a lot of content in fallout, various stories to tell, so it's not like there is a shortage of ways it could go. I have no real reason to hope its bad, and if it is actually good or decent, then it would be nice to see it get more seasons.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2024-03-23 at 11:22 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really wanted this series to be good but that trailer did nothing but make me cringe at the pointless screed and the power armor not having any impact when it landed took me right out of it. Fallout is one part self aware and another part absurd humour. The setting feels almost too clean and intentional as well. We'll see, but at the moment I am not very excited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks interesting, this is one of those franchises that is obviously super popular that I have just never gotten a chance to getting around to playing or learning all about it. Really is one of those like a lot of series I missed, by the time everyone is so into it, i felt too far behind.

Look forward to seeing this so I can see what all the hub bub was about.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Looks interesting, this is one of those franchises that is obviously super popular that I have just never gotten a chance to getting around to playing or learning all about it. Really is one of those like a lot of series I missed, by the time everyone is so into it, i felt too far behind.

You could probably just do one and two or 3 nv and 4.

I think I played 3 and oblivion so much that I couldn't do Bethesda games anymore, haven't been able to since but 3 was mind blowing at the time for me.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Yeah don't feel you "can't see" what all the games were about.

I just finished Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas for the first time last year (didn't start with 1 or 2, dont' have to go that far back). I'm jumping into Fallout 4 for the first time sometime this year. I knew about these games when they launched, and have heard all about them over the years, but at the time I wasn't so into the setting so never really attempted to get into them. Once I got the time and ability, I started playing through them.

Its never too late to play good video games . And I was able to get Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 - all for under 10 US. They go on sale constantly (On Steam/Epic/EA whomever does them.)
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think 4 is the best one currently for new people. I know people who have played all of them say some of its features are shallow compared to NV, but it makes it up in playability, stability, and the density of the map. Very easy to mod compared to any other Bethesda game too. Most annoying things, imo, were settlements (they get old after you have a few) and the dialogue UI. Both can be easily nodded on any platform.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking forward to it, currently the only thing i can show family/friends to get them interested is the fallout 4 /76 cinematics which isn't much. Hopefully it'll capture the atmosphere of fallout well so they enjoy being forced to watch it :P

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I think 4 is the best one currently for new people. I know people who have played all of them say some of its features are shallow compared to NV, but it makes it up in playability, stability, and the density of the map. Very easy to mod compared to any other Bethesda game too. Most annoying things, imo, were settlements (they get old after you have a few) and the dialogue UI. Both can be easily nodded on any platform.
    I don't know if I'd recommend 4 off the bat. Despite being accessible, it also has (easily, imo) the worst story. My personal experience was 3 -> New Vegas -> 4 then eventually playing the OGs. I want to say New Vegas is probably the best overall Fallout but without playing 3 first it's probably a bit much.

Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics are currently free with Amazon Prime/Twitch gaming atm.

Fallout 1 and 2 imo are the best games to play to get into the universe of the Tv show since it deals with the region.