Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Didn't hate it, but didn't hook me in either. Watched episode 1 and part of 2 earlier this week and, well I just haven't felt the desire to return, though it didn't leave a sour taste in my mouth either. I guess I'll probably finish it some time when I'm bored in the next few months, but altogether did nothing for me really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    The power armour wasn't explained as well as it is in the games, the TV show didn't really push too much on the whole sino-american war and the resource war that lead upto the nuclear exchange. But R&D was in full swing during that point, where one side was always trying to one up the other with some fantastical science fiction invention. There are tons of these in the games various types of weapons and technology that was developed to try to win the war, the power armour is just one of them (it is the one that DID win the war seeing as it gave a massive advantage), The Chinese invented the stealth suit which ofc makes you completely invisible like the stealth suit in Metal Gear Solid.

I liked the show, I think it was on point, I can't think of much to nitpick about it. That it has done well hopefully means it's guaranteed to get another season. Some people weren't too happy about the NCR capital getting nuked but, they were getting kinda imperialistic in new vegas, they weren't really the good guys. Lots of them say they are stretched super thin, with a trickle of supplies actually reaching that far. But they had basically reached a join us or die mentality. or join us or we'll simply make life difficult for you. This is the attitude they had toward villages and settlements. Probably bought on by their lack of a decent supply line but still it made them not exactly beacons of justice. They didn't really say anything about the NCR remnants, maybe they'll be some rangers in season 2.
    I don't power armor came about until the Sino-American war already started. The later models barely existed before the bombs fell (they were around but not mass produced).

Also I don't think there's supposed to be an clear objective history surrounding the events prior to the bombs falling. In universe explanation is that there's multiple conspiracies at play which make it hard for someone to actually figure out what happened. Out of universe it gives Fallout content creators room to play with new ideas. China dropped the bombs first, but the games play with the, "why", from the traditional enemy at the gates scenario, Vault-Tec/Enclave meddling, to aliens.

I feel like Fallout lore is interpreted too rigidly at times.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Probably the best joke in the show.

Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Just finished it. Overall, it was alright. Not amazing, not bad, just okay. Nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention.
    I did enjoy some of the nods to the game stuff, like the reference to side quests and the Rock-It/Junk launcher.
    I liked Lucy overall, but the fish out of water, naïveté, gets frustrating. I also liked that she was shown to not be plot armor strong at any point while still being able to put up a fight, such as with the 1st episode.
    The Ghoul was a good character. I liked that he wasn’t a hero, nor is he an anti hero. He’s just a character hardened by the Wasteland and his own personal history, and is technically a villain.
    Maximus….man is this character polarizing. I kind of want to like him, but damn is it frustrating. He comes off like a child, which is maybe how they wanted his character to be. Knowing this and watching Lucy bluntly asking if he wants to have sex was awkward for a completely different reason. This isn’t why I have a hard time liking him, however. There’s also the issue he almost seems sociopathic at times with his emotions. He comes off as lost and naive, but then has moments where he just looks dead while doing, or thinking about doing, something. Again, maybe that’s how the writers want him to be, but it makes liking the character difficult. (I’m not saying he’s a bad character)
    I’m not a fan of them changing the ghouls the way they did, but that’s a small gripe and nothing major.
    Probably about 6.5 or 7/10.

Side note: I hope they include a crashed alien ship or something next season. Even if they don’t want to go all in on it, make it a crashed Enclave or BoS experimental craft. Just another little nod to the games.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I don't power armor came about until the Sino-American war already started. The later models barely existed before the bombs fell (they were around but not mass produced).

Also I don't think there's supposed to be an clear objective history surrounding the events prior to the bombs falling. In universe explanation is that there's multiple conspiracies at play which make it hard for someone to actually figure out what happened. Out of universe it gives Fallout content creators room to play with new ideas. China dropped the bombs first, but the games play with the, "why", from the traditional enemy at the gates scenario, Vault-Tec/Enclave meddling, to aliens.

I feel like Fallout lore is interpreted too rigidly at times.
    Afaik historically, they dropped troops into mainland china wearing power armour which took men off the front in Alaska and allowed the US forces to push them back. there was a brief victory period before the bombs started falling. the power armour did cause enough of a problem that the Chinese were forced to call men back.

it's true though that things are intentionally vague so that there might be other possible explanations for events. it looks like the TV show changed the whole 'who dropped what first' I don't think I ever considered who dropped the bombs first, seeing as it doesn't really matter the end result would be the same, the TV show explicitly points to that being vault tec, this is spoilery but, coopers wife in the show says that they can drop a nuke to jump start project safehouse. Which is likely what they did. The whole point being that they just had to out live the enemy, not necessarily destroy them.

while the lore of fallout might be somewhat comparable to how Tolkien wanted middle earths lore, vague, missing information or warped by that whole telephone/Chinese whispers effect. But a lot of fallouts lore is told through holotapes and just information that survived the war. some of it has to be accepted as a fact. Or you might as well just ignore all of it and not look for any sort of answer to anything if none of it is correct.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2024-04-19 at 05:44 AM.

Just finished it. It didn't grip me to binge like I thought it would but I'm glad I finished as the last three episodes were very good. They tied up all the threads pretty well and I'm stoked to see where they take it in season 2. 8/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    The Ghoul was a good character. I liked that he wasn’t a hero, nor is he an anti hero. He’s just a character hardened by the Wasteland and his own personal history, and is technically a villain.
    I agree, he is pretty much the best character. He is just there for his own reasons.

Maximus….man is this character polarizing. I kind of want to like him, but damn is it frustrating. He comes off like a child, which is maybe how they wanted his character to be. Knowing this and watching Lucy bluntly asking if he wants to have sex was awkward for a completely different reason. This isn’t why I have a hard time liking him, however. There’s also the issue he almost seems sociopathic at times with his emotions. He comes off as lost and naive, but then has moments where he just looks dead while doing, or thinking about doing, something. Again, maybe that’s how the writers want him to be, but it makes liking the character difficult. (I’m not saying he’s a bad character)
    I think that was partially the point. He is an interesting character. And overall, most Brotherhood characters are interesting. You know Maximus is lying, you know his friend in the Brotherhood is lying, and you can tell that the head guy knows it is a lie.

I’m not a fan of them changing the ghouls the way they did, but that’s a small gripe and nothing major.
    How did they change ghouls? Outside of one thing happening, it seems pretty in line with the Bethesda games.

- - - Updated - - -

it's true though that things are intentionally vague so that there might be other possible explanations for events. it looks like the TV show changed the whole 'who dropped what first' I don't think I ever considered who dropped the bombs first, seeing as it doesn't really matter the end result would be the same, the TV show explicitly points to that being vault tec, this is spoilery but, coopers wife in the show says that they can drop a nuke to jump start project safehouse. Which is likely what they did. The whole point being that they just had to out live the enemy, not necessarily destroy them.
    The only thing changed was giving a more definitive answer to who dropped the bombs first, however we can't technically be sure of that yet. It isn't confirmed, but just strongly implied that happened. The games leave it far more vague, there are hits to it being the US government, China, and Vault Tec. And for the stories of the games, it does not matter who dropped the first one.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I think that was partially the point. He is an interesting character. And overall, most Brotherhood characters are interesting. You know Maximus is lying, you know his friend in the Brotherhood is lying, and you can tell that the head guy knows it is a lie.
    I actually liked his character for the most part, but one thing I didn't see brought up here is that the worst thing about him might be how incredibly shortsighted he is in his lies. Impersonating Tidus before the Brotherhood, trying to trick Thaddeus, picking up a random damn head and trying to say it's the one they were looking for - this character really feels like a callous moron at times, failing upwards for reasons only the Elder might know. It's not quite as fun to watch him try to pretend he's a Brotherhood Paladin, when we know with 100% certainty that he's going to be screwed the second he takes off the helm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    I actually liked his character for the most part, but one thing I didn't see brought up here is that the worst thing about him might be how incredibly shortsighted he is in his lies. Impersonating Tidus before the Brotherhood, trying to trick Thaddeus, picking up a random damn head and trying to say it's the one they were looking for - this character really feels like a callous moron at times, failing upwards for reasons only the Elder might know. It's not quite as fun to watch him try to pretend he's a Brotherhood Paladin, when we know with 100% certainty that he's going to be screwed the second he takes off the helm.
    I agree with everything you said. It is partially why I feel it is interesting. Because you know there is more there, and I am okay with characters being morons. He's basically been raised in the Brotherhood so it makes sense his lies are not the best.
    –The Sith Code

I agree with everything you said. It is partially why I feel it is interesting. Because you know there is more there, and I am okay with characters being morons. He's basically been raised in the Brotherhood so it makes sense his lies are not the best.
    Yeah, to be honest that's why I want to see where his story goes from here. Maybe his arc was about him being so enamored in the idealized version of BoS in his head that he was fine taking shortcuts to be a part of it. But once he starts seeing BoS as less than ideal, he might change that approach, and take the longer way to cause another split within the faction, like what happened in F3

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/fallou...tv-show-launch

Sales of Fallout games have shot up across Europe, with Fallout 4 reclaiming the No.1 spot.
    The 2015 game’s sales rose over 7,500% week-on-week across Europe. This is GSD data that tracks digital game sales across all European markets, and physical sales across all major European countries (including UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain).

Meanwhile, Fallout 76 comes in at No.8, with 85% of sales on PC (again, the game is on Game Pass and PS Plus). Fallout: New Vegas is at No.9 and Fallout 3 makes No.10.
    Further down the charts, the Fallout Classic Collection is up to No.43, Fallout 2 is at No.57 and Fallout makes No.70.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

That Fanatical bundle really came in handy, huh.

10+ Year Old Account
    But a lot of fallouts lore is told through holotapes and just information that survived the war. some of it has to be accepted as a fact. Or you might as well just ignore all of it and not look for any sort of answer to anything if none of it is correct.
    One of the best parts of Fallout is that they knowingly treat their lore documents as if they're historical. Meaning they each encapsulate the creator's biases, prejudices, ignorance, and sometimes dishonesty. Sometimes people don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Sometimes, what you're reading is straight-up propaganda. Anything American that's anti-Chinese has to be taken with a huge measure of salt, due to the political situation pre-War. Etc.

You can't just read a thing in Fallout and say "okay, events must have actually happened exactly as that note said they did." You have to compare and contrast with other texts to try and figure out where the truth most likely lies. That means new contradictory texts aren't lore contradictions, they're new information, and may change the conclusions you draw. Not because the history was changed, but because your perception and understanding of the history has changed (and, generally, improved).

That's how you "do history". And not understanding this is why a lot of people treat Fallout lore "too rigidly", as PACOX said.

The only thing changed was giving a more definitive answer to who dropped the bombs first, however we can't technically be sure of that yet. It isn't confirmed, but just strongly implied that happened. The games leave it far more vague, there are hits to it being the US government, China, and Vault Tec. And for the stories of the games, it does not matter who dropped the first one.
    They really didn't though. All that is displayed is that one person inside Vault-Tec considered doing it. There's at least as much evidence that Barb isn't responsible.
    And i doubt they'll make the mistake to give an answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing that I assume will be addressed, or we were meant to assume.

Moldaver. How is she alive? I assume this will be addressed in the next season or later. That or, we are meant to conclude that she was also given a cryo unit to survive the passage of time. As she was not part of the in-crowd, I didn't really think she would have been awarded a cryo unit.

Did I happen to miss something? Or is it just not yet revealed?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    They really didn't though. All that is displayed is that one person inside Vault-Tec considered doing it. There's at least as much evidence that Barb isn't responsible.
    And i doubt they'll make the mistake to give an answer.
    That's why I said it wasn't "confirmed" just a more definitive answer to what went on. Most of the stuff in the game is post-bombings, so it is hard to take that at face value. This is pre-bombing, so it is a more definitive answer on who because we have no reason to believe that she is lying. However, it isn't a confirmed fact. As the games, it doesn't matter. And for the show, it may matter depending what they are going to do with Cooper's story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post

Moldaver. How is she alive? I assume this will be addressed in the next season or later. That or, we are meant to conclude that she was also given a cryo unit to survive the passage of time. As she was not part of the in-crowd, I didn't really think she would have been awarded a cryo unit.

I don't recall anything to that. But, I also don't know if it will be explained.
    –The Sith Code

That's just one of the unresolved questions. Like why would never anyone question people coming from 31, but never going there, when the exchange is for "breeding"?

10+ Year Old Account
    One other thing i'd be curious if I missed something, or if it wasn't really addressed.

In vault 4, there were the tanks of pregnant women. After seeing the video of what happens to those women, it looks like vault 4 is still doing those experiments. But after the overseer explained that they were actually the children of experiment victims, it seemed to be wrapped up. But there were still those women in tanks.

Is it that those women are from the old experiments, and just left there to exist to they don't birth more monsters? Or are they current experiments?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Like why would never anyone question people coming from 31, but never going there, when the exchange is for "breeding"?
    My guess for that point, is ignorance. There were a few scenes where common sense could have prevailed. I guess we are supposed to keep in mind that these people have curated educations in the vaults, and no education outside the vaults. So common sense would not be so common.

Thinking more on that. vault 32 had a particular fate, with writings on the walls. I believe that indicates that they got smart and figured things out. In vault 33, people were groomed to not worry about it. But Norm worried and figured it out.

We also got to see that their clean up game is strong enough to fool the foolish.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2024-04-19 at 03:04 PM.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

One other thing i'd be curious if I missed something, or if it wasn't really addressed.

In vault 4, there were the tanks of pregnant women. After seeing the video of what happens to those women, it looks like vault 4 is still doing those experiments. But after the overseer explained that they were actually the children of experiment victims, it seemed to be wrapped up. But there were still those women in tanks.

Is it that those women are from the old experiments, and just left there to exist to they don't birth more monsters? Or are they current experiments?

- - - Updated - - -

My guess for that point, is ignorance. There were a few scenes where common sense could have prevailed. I guess we are supposed to keep in mind that these people have curated educations in the vaults, and no education outside the vaults. So common sense would not be so common.

Thinking more on that. vault 32 had a particular fate, with writings on the walls. I believe that indicates that they got smart and figured things out. In vault 33, people were groomed to not worry about it. But Norm worried and figured it out.

We also got to see that their clean up game is strong enough to fool the foolish.
    But even considering indoctrination i find it highly improbable that it takes several generations for someone to ask questions. Even if the overseers tried letting nosy people vanish, which should raise even more questions. I guees one could argue that they'd lay low because of fear, but that doesn't convince me.

Purpose of Vault 32 is one of the coolest mysteries left for next seasons in my opinion. If the experiment was just "freeze some managers, send them to an unsuspecting population to interbreed supermanagers", they'd only need 1 extra vault. But if this was actually meant to be an experiment, something more had to happen.

The burned fields might be a hint. Perhaps overseer of 31 enacted an experiment on 32 to test what would happen if, after those generations of making those supermanagers, they would ruin the populations food supply. Would the managers handle a vault full of starving people, probably asking more questions now that there are problems? Judging by creepy bloody messages on the walls next to skeletons, not really.

And the complete failure of such an experiment fits the idea of Fallout Vaults perfectly - the experiments were always needlessly cruel, haphazard and rather pointless.