10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The Southgate story is bollocks, has to be. The man offers the most pathetic form of football when he has the superior team.

What he did in the final against Italy was criminal, and now he's had them relegated in the nations league. Nothing in Southgate suggests he'd be the best guy to take a revived United back to glory.
    if it was coming from a single rag paper then maybe, but it's in almost every major publication and being given major airtime from multiple reputable sources, I will be laughing my ass off if that comes to pass, will be fun watching all the meltdowns all over online.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    And yet Brentford have fewer shots conceded and a lower xG against than United. Some of our stats this season are literally relegation worthy.
    xG is mostly a waste of time to focus on. If it were, Manchester United would be relegated. But they are fighting for CL spot while Brentford might aswell go down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    if it was coming from a single rag paper then maybe, but it's in almost every major publication and being given major airtime from multiple reputable sources, I will be laughing my ass off if that comes to pass, will be fun watching all the meltdowns all over online.
    They're all using the same source though, United always gets coverage and airtime because it sells, combine that with the England manager and you get maximum clickbait.

Also an indication of how boring everything is right now, what else is there to talk about. Klopp having a meltdown at some Norwegian journo?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    They're all using the same source though, United always gets coverage and airtime because it sells, combine that with the England manager and you get maximum clickbait.

Also an indication of how boring everything is right now, what else is there to talk about. Klopp having a meltdown at some Norwegian journo?
    *Danish

Dude handled it pretty well/professionally though, but you wouldn't expect anything else I guess.

And about Southgate, dear lord let it be a load of rubbish...

The fact people talk about Brentford "underperforming" by being in 15th is a testament to how good Thomas Frank is and how high he's set the standard for the club.
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Ratcliff is as interested in Southgate being our next manager as he is in me replacing Rashford. You are from the UK, you should be well aware of the level of reporting from all the rags when it comes to football, "reputable" or otherwise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    The fact people talk about Brentford "underperforming" by being in 15th is a testament to how good Thomas Frank is and how high he's set the standard for the club.
    Completely agree. Where were Brentford before Thomas Frank... and where are they now.

I'd take Frank sooner than I'd take Southgate for what that's worth. Then again I would also rather have Steve Bruce than Southgate. But Frank has done very well at Brentford, it's just always that long question of if they can take the big step or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    I'd take Frank sooner than I'd take Southgate for what that's worth. Then again I would also rather have Steve Bruce than Southgate. But Frank has done very well at Brentford, it's just always that long question of if they can take the big step or not.
    I honestly don't want him, purely because he has not worked at the same level. Man Utd is massive, one of the biggest clubs on the planet with some of the biggest egos and sponsors around, with constant attention 24/7 from the world and the media. Managing Brentford is like being in hybernation when you compare the two. We have tried inexperienced-at-that-level managers and it didn't work (some are even arguing that it still doesn't work with ETH). Chelsea tried it too many times as well with Potter and Boas etc etc, it rarely works when the step up is so massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I honestly don't want him, purely because he has not worked at the same level. Man Utd is massive, one of the biggest clubs on the planet with some of the biggest egos and sponsors around, with constant attention 24/7 from the world and the media. Managing Brentford is like being in hybernation when you compare the two. We have tried inexperienced-at-that-level managers and it didn't work (some are even arguing that it still doesn't work with ETH). Chelsea tried it too many times as well with Potter and Boas etc etc, it rarely works when the step up is so massive.
    It would be fun to see him get a more realistic step up job within PL like West Ham (if Moyes goes) or Villa (if Emery is poached) for example. Going from a team like Brentford to Man Utd is a massive leap.

you think big ange could do a job at utd? he wouldn't be scared to sell half the players either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    you think big ange could do a job at utd? he wouldn't be scared to sell half the players either.
    I don't think Ten Hag is scared to sell half of them either, he just can't unless you want to play without a full squad.

I'm quite liking what I'm hearing from sir Jim at utd.

Talking about getting youngsters in before they are superstars.

Also with someone like ETH who has brought 2 outstanding youngsters in in 2 seasons, it could be a good combination while we sort the club out.

Hopefully get to a point where we can get a couple of 40 mil players a season bolstered by 2 or three of the youth coming up.

I will obviously complain for the entire rebuild while it's happening haha

15+ Year Old Account
    haha man I LOVE these Tintin kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I don't think Ten Hag is scared to sell half of them either, he just can't unless you want to play without a full squad.
    Manchester United struggle with selling players. Why? Cause no one really wants them and they sit perfectly fine were they are, earning big bucks doing jack shit. There hasnt been ONE player last couple of seasons they have sold that did good other places.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Manchester United struggle with selling players. Why? Cause no one really wants them and they sit perfectly fine were they are, earning big bucks doing jack shit. There hasnt been ONE player last couple of seasons they have sold that did good other places.
    Probably garner and elanga?

But yeah I agree, it's sad how many players we are losing / going to lose for free and can't sell

Need to be smarter with contracts like idk a striker - base 100k 20 goals 150k 30 200k

I know nothing about football economics but you get my idea

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Probably garner and elanga?

But yeah I agree, it's sad how many players we are losing / going to lose for free and can't sell

Need to be smarter with contracts like idk a striker - base 100k 20 goals 150k 30 200k

I know nothing about football economics but you get my idea
    Sure, but none of them play at the highest level. Dont get me wrong, they aint bad players playing in bad clubs, but theres a difference performing where they are now and at Manchester United. Its not really compareable.

And yes, they need to be much smarter with who the sign and what contracts they give. For years they have brought in the wrong players on really high salaries. ofc they dont want to leave.

It's a combination of not selling players when interest has been there and sitting on the players for too long but also our failure to make players look attracting to other clubs. It feels like when we want someone out it's so obvious to the entire world that nobody wants to pay any money so you end up getting some sort of loan exit or a really low transfer fee. And when there is interest we usually hold onto players that probably should have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    It would be fun to see him get a more realistic step up job within PL like West Ham (if Moyes goes) or Villa (if Emery is poached) for example. Going from a team like Brentford to Man Utd is a massive leap.
    True, and not just for him.

Regarding Man Utd off-loading players, or rather failing to do so, the reason we can't sell them is that they are mostly overpaid, underperforming idiots that are part of a toxic dressing room that the whole planet knows about. The ones that do want to go for football reasons, go. The rest are just happy getting a fat paycheck for doing nothing while having part of our fanbase simping for them like idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    True, and not just for him.

Regarding Man Utd off-loading players, or rather failing to do so, the reason we can't sell them is that they are mostly overpaid, underperforming idiots that are part of a toxic dressing room that the whole planet knows about. The ones that do want to go for football reasons, go. The rest are just happy getting a fat paycheck for doing nothing while having part of our fanbase simping for them like idiots.
    I think our style of football doesn't really do us any favors in the market either. You look at smaller clubs like a Brighton for example, they play this exciting attacking football and everyone in that system looks more exciting because they go for it even if they lose. That means they sell players for a lot more than their value because clubs see them and think "we need some of this". Because we struggle to play good over time and only show it sporadically a lot of our gametime is sitting back and trying to counter and make something happen and so our players don't look as "capable" because worse teams can come and put pressure on us.