Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthorite View Post
    I mean forcing a team who never worked on live service games and were known for incredible single player titles probably isn't the greatest idea in the universe.
    I'm not sure why publishers all seem to be chasing this golden unicorn that is live service games when only a few have actually had absurd amounts of success. Making great single player games with a good narrative can sell games too, especially if it's a big IP. Just look at how ridiculously well Hogwarts Legacy did, over 22 million copies sold and as far as content goes, it is actually very lacking in terms of depth of the content outside of the story, but the gameplay is fun and there's a huge fanbase for games like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I'm not sure why publishers all seem to be chasing this golden unicorn that is live service games when only a few have actually had absurd amounts of success. Making great single player games with a good narrative can sell games too, especially if it's a big IP. Just look at how ridiculously well Hogwarts Legacy did, over 22 million copies sold and as far as content goes, it is actually very lacking in terms of depth of the content outside of the story, but the gameplay is fun and there's a huge fanbase for games like that.
    The problem with Hogwarts Legacy is that it's one game that did well while WB's history with games has been pretty spotty at best. What they want is a game that is guaranteed to make money consistently over a year instead of a game that only makes money one time. Indeed, they could just release more games like Hogwarts Legacy but unless there is a guarantee those games will be as successful as Hogwarts Legacy, and WB's history tells us that's unlikely, it makes no sense for WB to keep relying on single-player games based entirely off one success.

I'm not saying I agree just pointing out why WB is more interested in Live Service games.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, a new bogeyman has appeared and people really won't shut up about them and it's hilarious because from most of what I've seen the impact of their consulting is hilariously overblown and y'all are, still, mostly mad at the wrong fuckin people rofl.
    Off topic, but to be Captain Obvious here, none of these would have blown to such an extend if they didn't try to ban that Steam account that simply listed their games. But I am sure once again it's the "bad gamers" fault.

On topic, I agree that whoever decided to get away from the single player games formula, that as far as I can tell was making them a tidy profit too, needs to be kicked out of the company. I mean, regardless of the story/dialogues/whatever, why do you change a winning formula like this, especially when the studio in question has no experience with such games to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, a new bogeyman has appeared and people really won't shut up about them and it's hilarious because from most of what I've seen the impact of their consulting is hilariously overblown and y'all are, still, mostly mad at the wrong fuckin people rofl.
    The fact that they even exist in the gaming industry shows there is a problem, so yes anything their name is attached to will be scrutinized and criticized.
    But here you are as usual defending the practices most do not like.
    Im starting to wonder if you do it just for a reaction or are you really this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    Off topic, but to be Captain Obvious here, none of these would have blown to such an extend if they didn't try to ban that Steam account that simply listed their games. But I am sure once again it's the "bad gamers" fault.
    Absolutely, and their further interactions with the players do not help their case either.

It's literally a case study of what not to do in Social Media space, and them being "advisors" on anything seeing how they have grossly mismanaged all of this is kind of funny.

They will probably go belly up eventually, because publishers who want to sell would probably avoid this poison pill and hire someone else, of which there is plenty either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Welcome to the video game dev meta?

I mean this isn't new. A small history:

Street Fighter 2 was a MEGA HIT. Many devs attempt to emulate, many fail some succeed
    Mortal Kombat was one of those emulators that succeed many people then try to do the digitized actor ultra violence game. Rare is literally the only one that succeeded with Killer Instinct
    Super Mario revolutionzed video games and platformers: many try to emulate, some succeed many fail.
    Sonic was a Mega hit and one of those successors: Everyone and their mother tries to make a mascot platformer with an edgy character...most fail
    FF7 broke records tons of people tried to jump on the JRPG bandwagon to compete making giant cinematic experiences. Some succeed other fail massivly
    World of Warcraft smashed records with an MMO: Others tried to emulate most fail
    League of Legends revolutionized the MOBA genre: Many try to jump on, most fail handful succeed
    Hearthstone revolutionized digital card games. Many try their hand only ones that really succeed are like the ones who already had card games and decided to also digitize them and Riot.
    Overwatch copied TF2 and succeeded, many others tried to emulate some worked others didnt.
    Angry Birds made a shit ton of money, Now suddenly everyone and their mother tries to make money on the mobile game market.
    Candy Crush made a shit ton of money with microtransactions: oh gee look what happened.

This will keep going over and over forever. People like money, they see something made a lot of money so they try to do the thing to make a lot of money.
    3 Major Rules of World of Warcraft Players:
    1. No one on earth wants to play World of Warcraft less than other World of Warcraft players.
    2. The desire to win>The desire for anything else in World of Warcraft. NO EXCEPTIONS
    3. Efficiency will be king no matter how you think it will improve the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Absolutely, and their further interactions with the players do not help their case either.

It's literally a case study of what not to do in Social Media space, and them being "advisors" on anything seeing how they have grossly mismanaged all of this is kind of funny.

They will probably go belly up eventually, because publishers who want to sell would probably avoid this poison pill and hire someone else, of which there is plenty either way.
    Yeap, pretty much all of this from my perspective.