Poll: Who is the protagonist for Midnight expansion?

This poll will close on 2024-04-30 at 09:52 AM

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanaria View Post
    With the sprinkling of "this is deffo going to happen!" With no actual statement or evidence...just a personal wishlist.
    I doubt anyone can fully divorce speculation from a desire for the story to develop along certain inclinations, whether those arise emotionally or logically from previous events. Beyond what has been unveiled by the developers already, though; nothing is definite. Hell, I'd actually hedge my bets until TWW hits retail even for things revealed in the various teasers and in-development revelations. The path from Alpha to Beta to Live is long, and anything can happen in between.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Idea that the writers would kill off Anduin is ludicrous. They haven't made any other characters to take his place or indicated that any other human character will take part in the next 3 expacs. Anduin is the most plot armoured character they have ever written for the simple fact that he has become the entire focus of the story and cinematics for the last few expacs. He literally has a Prophecy and comic which shows him leading us against the void.

I mean I would love for them to remove him from the story so other characters more suited would get a chance to shine but it will never happen as while he isn't a fan favourite(i know some like him but generally he isn't liked) he is the current writer's protagonist for the story. I mean A whole premise of the coming story is about Anduin and his stupid depression we will need to resolve.

He is essentially a black hole in the story at the moment where every facet of the story is drawn to him. Destroying anything interesting about the story he gets close to.
    Last edited by angrywithmygod; 2024-04-26 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrywithmygod View Post
    The Idea that the writers would kill off Anduin is ludicrous. They haven't made any other characters to take his place or indicated that any other human character will take part in the next 3 expacs. Anduin is the most plot armoured character they have ever written for the simple fact that he has become the entire focus of the story and cinematics for the last few expacs. He literally has a Prophecy and comic which shows him leading us against the void.

I mean I would love for them to remove him from the story so other characters more suited would get a chance to shine but it will never happen as while he isn't a fan favourite(i know some like him but generally he isn't liked) he is the current writer's protagonist for the story. I mean A whole premise of the coming story is about Anduin and his stupid depression we will need to resolve.

He is essentially a black hole in the story at the moment where every facet of the story is drawn to him. Destroying anything interesting about the story he gets close to.

You have a strong feelings about the topic. I also think Anduin while potentially interesting hoardes too much attention and for now he is not the most terribly interesting character. I think there are quite a few characters in serious need of development and his presence doesn’t allow for that

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Idk how they manage it every single Anduin model update, but hes in game models all are so low ress.

Hes new model feels like something from a few years ago.

The Idea that the writers would kill off Anduin is ludicrous. They haven't made any other characters to take his place or indicated that any other human character will take part in the next 3 expacs.
    To be slightly pedantic here, we usually don't know any character's going to pop up until they're explicitly shown, there's no prerequisite "building up" that needs to be done there. We didn't know Magni was actually going to show up until the first Alpha quests went "hey we should go see Magni."

If they wanted to have Anduin sacrifice himself and make Turalyon the face of Humanity, they could. They could also go the Vol'jin route where a known name kind of sort of becomes the face of the race but spends a few years not actually being the leader, a la Rokhan.

He literally has a Prophecy and comic which shows him leading us against the void.
    I feel like the end of that comic, and any prophecy involving Velen, should probably be taken with a grain of salt post-Legion. After Illidan taught Velen about how cool it is to flip prophecy the bird and tell it to take a hike, it's possible that we've diverged from the "thread" that would've led us there quite a bit by now.
    confirmed by my uncle nitnendo and masahiro samurai

I don't think they'll kill anduin for a loong time. He's basically the wow protagonist that stays fresh as he started as a kid and his character is evolving alongside his age, relationships and world events. Killing him would be a huge waste. Khadgar on the other hand is an old mage that's already at the peak of his power and story relevance, so it make sense for him to go. The same can be said about the night elf leaders overall, although they still can be used for the northern kalimdor revamp + elune reveal. Genn's story also ended, and I'd say that Thrall should be close to ending as well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by allegrian View Post
    I don't think they'll kill anduin for a loong time. He's basically the wow protagonist that stays fresh as he started as a kid and his character is evolving alongside his age, relationships and world events. Killing him would be a huge waste. Khadgar on the other hand is an old mage that's already at the peak of his power and story relevance, so it make sense for him to go. The same can be said about the night elf leaders overall, although they still can be used for the northern kalimdor revamp + elune reveal. Genn's story also ended, and I'd say that Thrall should be close to ending as well soon.
    Ending storyarc =\= killing.
    I think Tyrande and Malf be AFK for a long, long time. And never be relevant again. Quest or two is fine, but main focus on Shandriss.
    Same with Thrall and Khadgar. Retire them is a good move, but killing? Nope, should not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by allegrian View Post
    Khadgar's been bleeding death flags since around the close of BfA, although despite myself, I have to admit I don't want him to be gone from the story. There's something about the cantankerous old man that's just refreshing to see every time he takes the stage.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Khadgar's been bleeding death flags since around the close of BfA, although despite myself, I have to admit I don't want him to be gone from the story. There's something about the cantankerous old man that's just refreshing to see every time he takes the stage.
    Yeah, Khadgar should have been kept as the neutral sage wizard that helps everyone from time to time, like medivh in W3 but with personality. I can accept his death if the kirin tor theme doesn't disappear, it'd be a waste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dancaris View Post
    Ending storyarc =\= killing.
    I think Tyrande and Malf be AFK for a long, long time. And never be relevant again. Quest or two is fine, but main focus on Shandriss.
    Same with Thrall and Khadgar. Retire them is a good move, but killing? Nope, should not.
    I don't mean that ending storyarc should mean killing, but when they want to kill a character for whatever purpose (like shock value, rising stakes, making you hate a villain...), then they probably go for a beloved character who's storyarc has pretty much ended. But killing someone with lots of potential, like Anduin, is a bigger waste.

And Malfurion got robbed of the emerald dream patch... they should give him something to compensate where he can actually show off some druid powers.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    With the sprinkling of "this is deffo going to happen!" With no actual statement or evidence...just a personal wishlist.
    Certain people here shout the loudest and those happen to be the people who claim certain things WILL happen.

This whole thread and many others purely excists out of personal wishlists, which you know as well is usually the same people who do that. Getting tired of the speculation threads because of that.

The alleria fangirling also doesnt really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Certain people here shout the loudest and those happen to be the people who claim certain things WILL happen.

This whole thread and many others purely excists out of personal wishlists, which you know as well is usually the same people who do that. Getting tired of the speculation threads because of that.

The alleria fangirling also doesnt really help.
    Which I don't understand because I get called out for something which is said "once" but yet, we're suppose to cheer about something which we're told "is going to happen" when it hasn't even been said once.

Feels a little backwards to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt anyone can fully divorce speculation from a desire for the story to develop along certain inclinations, whether those arise emotionally or logically from previous events. Beyond what has been unveiled by the developers already, though; nothing is definite. Hell, I'd actually hedge my bets until TWW hits retail even for things revealed in the various teasers and in-development revelations. The path from Alpha to Beta to Live is long, and anything can happen in between.
    Speculation is one thing and one can absolutely say "I hope x, y and z happen" but to state unconfirmed things as "fact" but then I get mocked for linking something where it's said once...that feels weird, because it being said once is far better than nothing be said at all?

Maybe I'm just easily confused by people on the internet..?

For example; we know Blizzard are expanding and reimagining the Blood Elves and their homeland because Ion has said it directly. What we don't know is the in's and outs of that, but the aforementioned leaves enough room for speculation, but not personal feelings presented as facts.

For example: "Kael'thas will come back!" Well, no - it's not confirmed. It can be your wish that he comes back for Midnight, but it's not confirmed.
    "Well Blizzard are expanding Blood elf lore!" Yes they are - but that can be a wide range of things and can target those Blood Elves who are alive, ruling or indeed, undead.
    Last edited by Tanaria; 2024-04-26 at 01:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Speculation is one thing and one can absolutely say "I hope x, y and z happen" but to state unconfirmed things as "fact" but then I get mocked for linking something where it's said once...that feels weird, because it being said once is far better than nothing be said at all?

Maybe I'm just easily confused by people on the internet..?

For example; we know Blizzard are expanding and reimagining the Blood Elves and their homeland because Ion has said it directly. What we don't know is the in's and outs of that, but the aforementioned leaves enough room for speculation, but not personal feelings presented as facts.

For example: "Kael'thas will come back!" Well, no - it's not confirmed. It can be your wish that he comes back for Midnight, but it's not confirmed.
    "Well Blizzard are expanding Blood elf lore!" Yes they are - but that can be a wide range of things and can target those Blood Elves who are alive, ruling or indeed, undead.
    That's why I often say it's best not to get your emotions invested in your argumentation - at best it blinkers you to possibilities beyond what you're looking toward, and at worst it leads to unnecessary outbursts and poorly-conceived ranting about X, Y, or Z. The same holds true for detractors or people who feel differently about things, if you invest yourself too deeply in your arguments, it's easy to take or give offense.

As for Kael'thas, I've long resigned myself to the position that literally anything is possible in Warcraft - there are no truly absolute rules beyond the Rule of Cool, for better or worse. I'd consign his return to the "unlikely" bin, given there's no real cause for the ghosts of dead elves to make an appearance apropos of nothing, but I couldn't rule it out entirely, either.

You know what's funny? Why would someone ask for Kael'thas, of all people, to return?

I mean, Kael'thas' story arc was concluded decades ago and it was perfect.

I don't see why anyone would want to bring back Kael'thas and risk tarnishing his legacy and image.

Besides, dead people can't just casually cross the veil, especially not the unstable and crazy souls of Revendreth.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

That's why I often say it's best not to get your emotions invested in your argumentation - at best it blinkers you to possibilities beyond what you're looking toward, and at worst it leads to unnecessary outbursts and poorly-conceived ranting about X, Y, or Z. The same holds true for detractors or people who feel differently about things, if you invest yourself too deeply in your arguments, it's easy to take or give offense.

As for Kael'thas, I've long resigned myself to the position that literally anything is possible in Warcraft - there are no truly absolute rules beyond the Rule of Cool, for better or worse. I'd consign his return to the "unlikely" bin, given there's no real cause for the ghosts of dead elves to make an appearance apropos of nothing, but I couldn't rule it out entirely, either.
    It can also lead to extreme disappointment.

I have big hopes that Midnight expands on Quel'Thalas as a whole. Somebody put together a High Elf Campaign in W3 Reforged, where it was based in the high mountains of Quel'Thalas. They weren't allied with the Alliance but they were hostile to the Horde. That's what I'd like for the Alliance involvement in Quel'Thalas.

Develop the pure High Elf/Arcane Mage stuff on the Alliance, rather than trying to push that High Elves exist in both factions. Instead, develop the Fel stuff on Horde and just like the Man'ari, introduce Fel features for Blood Elves with the recruitment of Felblood Elves to the far South (unused area of QT maybe.) But this is my hopes. I'm not going to get the High Elf fans' hopes up with this because it likely won't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    You know what's funny? Why would someone ask for Kael'thas, of all people, to return?

I mean, Kael'thas' story arc was concluded decades ago and it was perfect.

I don't see why anyone would want to bring back Kael'thas and risk tarnishing his legacy and image.

Besides, dead people can't just casually cross the veil, especially not the unstable and crazy souls of Revendreth.
    As far as I'm concerned, we have enough Undead/Darkfallen across the Horde that Faillands shouldn't be touched. Even ones that I don't like such as Koltira, but likewise, ones that I do like, such as Velonara who isn't insane like Sylvanas.

Nobody knows where Sira fits in, because she seems crazy and insane just like Sylvanas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It can also lead to extreme disappointment.

I have big hopes that Midnight expands on Quel'Thalas as a whole. Somebody put together a High Elf Campaign in W3 Reforged, where it was based in the high mountains of Quel'Thalas. They weren't allied with the Alliance but they were hostile to the Horde. That's what I'd like for the Alliance involvement in Quel'Thalas.

Develop the pure High Elf/Arcane Mage stuff on the Alliance, rather than trying to push that High Elves exist in both factions. Instead, develop the Fel stuff on Horde and just like the Man'ari, introduce Fel features for Blood Elves with the recruitment of Felblood Elves to the far South (unused area of QT maybe.) But this is my hopes. I'm not going to get the High Elf fans' hopes up with this because it likely won't happen.
    Anything can lead to disappointment, it's unavoidable on the macro level. I think it's better not to allow one's desires to run roughshod over their reason, though; you can quickly and easily build up your own expectations to the level where they're largely insurmountable - nothing can live up to the airy designs of an overactive and overinvested fanbase. The rest, unfortunately, just strikes me as more partisan wrangling born out of protectionism and/or envy. Both the High and Blood Elves are arcanists by their natures - their differences are political and philosophical, not fundamental, and not even aesthetic.

Anything can lead to disappointment, it's unavoidable on the macro level. I think it's better not to allow one's desires to run roughshod over their reason, though; you can quickly and easily build up your own expectations to the level where they're largely insurmountable - nothing can live up to the airy designs of an overactive and overinvested fanbase. The rest, unfortunately, just strikes me as more partisan wrangling born out of protectionism and/or envy. Both the High and Blood Elves are arcanists by their natures - their differences are political and philosophical, not fundamental, and not even aesthetic.
    It's true High Elves and Blood Elves are Mages and Arcanists by their natures; but where one side wields Fel, the other stuck to the Arcane.

I do hope that these areas of High elves and Blood Elves are explored once again to give Easter Egg throwbacks to the classic version of a High Elf Mage and Fel/Blood Elf Warlock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    It's true High Elves and Blood Elves are Mages and Arcanists by their natures; but where one side wields Fel, the other stuck to the Arcane.

I do hope that these areas of High elves and Blood Elves are explored once again to give Easter Egg throwbacks to the classic version of a High Elf Mage and Fel/Blood Elf Warlock.
    Blood Elves aren't defined by "wielding Fel," they've got Warlocks sure, but that doesn't define them any more than it defines humans or gnomes who also field Warlocks. Blood Elves also have a *lot* of Mages in their ranks, more notably Rommath himself but also Aethas, Belo'vir, Astalor Bloodworn, and dozens throughout the Sunreavers, Scryers, and Shatterd Sun Offensive. High Elves also have Warlocks among their number, interestingly enough. Athrikus Narassin had several working for him, and Summoner Nolric is a High Elven Warlock trainer and member of the Silver Covenant. So the divide between High Elf Mage and Blood Elf Warlock isn't as distinct as it would seem on first blush.

Good summary of Anduin.

Honestly they ought to stay away from a character centric story.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.