Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    People often forget what Disney owns and only focus on the negative. The stuff you mentioned should all be in recent memory.
    It's not forgetfulness, it's deliberate omission. The nefarious Disney will take 100% of the blame for the stuff that turns out bad, but get 0% of the credit for the stuff people end up liking.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Thats not me being confused, thats just people using the rating system wrong
    No, they aren't. Just because you view 5/5 being flawless doesn't mean everyone does.

They are using it correctly, as intended. You just disagree with how they are using it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's not forgetfulness, it's deliberate omission. The nefarious Disney will take 100% of the blame for the stuff that turns out bad, but get 0% of the credit for the stuff people end up liking.
    Yep, you can see it with Star Wars and Kennedy. If a product is good, "Oh, Kennedy had to be hands off and not involved!" If the product is bad, "Oh, Kennedy was controlling everything!" Despite you know Kennedy having the same level of involvement in all projects.

Kennedy is basically a boogieman for some people at this point. It's silly.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    Im pretty sure Shogun and the bear are not made direct by disney, its something related to the old fox studio that was acquired, that now is FX network or something like that, it even stream on hulu and only stream on disney+ in the countries there is no hulu. tuff like marvel and star wars is more direct, and all of then seem to be the same formula
    Disney completed the acquisition of Fox in 2019. It is part of Disney just like Star Wars, Marvel, ABC, ESPN, and all the others Disney owns. A newer addition but it is silly to use that as a qualifier when they are all ultimately run by Disney. Non-kid content was mostly kept off of Disney+ in the United States because Disney wanted to keep the appearance of being kid friendly. When they finally got 100% control of Hulu they also began merging the two services. Hulu content now appears on D+ and eventually there will be only one service.

Werewolf by night is a TV show and all the ones I listed appeared on a Disney-owned service however I did mistakenly call The Great by the wrong name. It is silly to discount tv specials as not being a show though. A one episode show is still a show.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Disney completed the acquisition of Fox in 2019. It is part of Disney just like Star Wars, Marvel, ABC, ESPN, and all the others Disney owns. A newer addition but it is silly to use that as a qualifier when they are all ultimately run by Disney. Non-kid content was mostly kept off of Disney+ in the United States because Disney wanted to keep the appearance of being kid friendly. When they finally got 100% control of Hulu they also began merging the two services. Hulu content now appears on D+ and eventually there will be only one service.

Werewolf by night is a TV show and all the ones I listed appeared on a Disney-owned service however I did mistakenly call The Great by the wrong name. It is silly to discount tv specials as not being a show though. A one episode show is still a show.
    There is a big difference between something made by then and something they just put "on sale" in their store.

Werewolf by night is not a tv show, it does not have episodes to fall apart like the others. Its just a special, and is not even that great either

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a big difference between something made by then and something they just put "on sale" in their store.
    If you meant something they bought from another company, sure.

Both Shogun and The Bear are produced by FX. Which is owned by Disney. They're as much Disney properties as anything Marvel or Star Wars.

See also films like Pulp Fiction or Good Will Hunting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you meant something they bought from another company, sure.

Both Shogun and The Bear are produced by FX. Which is owned by Disney. They're as much Disney properties as anything Marvel or Star Wars.

See also films like Pulp Fiction or Good Will Hunting.
    The Shogun started production during the time Disney was buying it. The Bear however has had one season produced and released while under Disney ownership (at least.)

However, both were essentially completed under Disney Control, so acting like Disney was uninvolved in a business they own is just weird. Disney gets no credit when things are good and all the blame when things aren't.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

15+ Year Old Account
    That would mean Star Wars isn't made by Disney because it is made by Lucasfilm. You can't have it both ways. Either content subsidiaries create are from Disney or they are not.

Werewolf by Night has 1 episode. TV specials are still shows but they are limited in some fashion compared to a regular series. An actor from Werewolf by Night was nominated for best guest star in a TV series at the 51st Saturn Awards. You don't have to accept that it is a show but you have to accept your definition is not the standard one.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Final opinion should be formed for a finished product, sure, but what people are discussing here has nothing to do with your post atm. You're essentially gatekeeping by saying "shut up, watch it, whine later".
    First time I've ever heard, "Just go watch it and complain if you want." being called gatekeeping...

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    First time I've ever heard, "Just go watch it and complain if you want." being called gatekeeping...
    Why would i want to discuss a singled out phrase of mine, detached from the whole post, essentially changing the narrative?

Pass.
    /spit@Blizzard

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That would mean Star Wars isn't made by Disney because it is made by Lucasfilm. You can't have it both ways. Either content subsidiaries create are from Disney or they are not.
    ok mate, lets phrase this way because of the nitpicking: "Marvel studios and Lucasfilm can't do tv shows for shit", ok, better?

As always, Andor is exception

10+ Year Old Account
    ok mate, lets phrase this way because of the nitpicking: "Marvel studios and Lucasfilm can't do tv shows for shit", ok, better?

As always, Andor is exception
    You continue to mistake your personal subjective preferences for objective reality. You not liking a show does not mean the show is bad.

You continue to mistake your personal subjective preferences for objective reality. You not liking a show does not mean the show is bad.
    I seem to recall the poster you're responding to also only matches the live action stuff so any of the awesome animated stuff that's still supervised by the same people don't count. Apparently the only Star Wars that matters is the live action stuff.

It's also hilarious how this fandom couldn't be objectively critical if it hit them in the face. It's always "my preferences should be everyones". It's real weird. I pretty much stopped regarding any SW fandom opinions after the mass reverse course on the prequels. Literally started hate trains on the actors and did real mental health damage to certain people then want to turn around and say "they loved them the entire time, Ahmed Best and Hayden Christinsen are actually goats". It's super dumb.
    Last edited by SilverLion; 2024-04-18 at 05:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That isn't what nitpicking is but yes your new statement is more accurate. Though not entirely since exceptions are clearly being made based on personal preference. The Marvel TV shows have received some nominations and awards so if we remove personal bias they do know how to make good stuff. That list is bigger if we include animated stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...evision_Awards

Star Wars doesn't have as clear of a list for shows (that I can find with a quick google) but they have nominations and awards as well. Of course I'm sure this will cause a discussion on how nominations don't mean anything or something. They might not but they do at least show that at a general level enough think the show is good enough for it to be honored.

10+ Year Old Account
    He literally stated that people are using a 5 star rating system wrong solely because they don't use his standards.

It is par for the course. A plot hole is a plot hole because he says it is. If he doesn't understand why something wasn't explained to his liking, it was bad writing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLion View Post
    It's also hilarious how this fandom couldn't be objectively critical if it hit them in the face. It's always "my preferences should be everyones". It's real weird. I pretty much stopped regarding any SW fandom opinions after the mass reverse course on the prequels. Literally started hate trains on the actors and did real mental health damage to certain people then want to turn around and say "they loved them the entire time, Ahmed Best and Hayden Christinsen are actually goats". It's super dumb.
    People want to pretend Ahsoka (the character) and The Clone Wars CGI series were never hated either.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    It's also hilarious how this fandom couldn't be objectively critical if it hit them in the face.
    Honestly, it's not just this fandom. It's fandom, period. I feel like an outsider even to fandoms I should be a core member of, just because I won't embrace the toxic hate directed towards the IP that's supposedly what "true fandom" is.

Like, take Transformers. Grew up in the '80s, OG Transformers was my jam. I was perfectly set up to love the Michael Bay Transformers films, but I was expecting them to elevate the material since I'm well capable of recognizing the original cartoon was garbo if you're not like 8 years old. To be fair, almost everything was garbo aimed at marketing toys to kids back then. Still, I tried, and Bay's immaturity and weird shoehorned-in racism and misogyny turned me off. Did I rage about how those movies ruined everything forever? Nah. I just didn't spend my own time on them any more. Doesn't hurt my nostalgia at all.

And then Bumblebee came out, without Bay, and that film kicks ass.

I cannot possibly fathom the hate that makes "fans" force themselves to rage-watch material they clearly detest, to maintain their level of fury at what they're supposedly "fans" of. If you hate Star Wars, stop watching Star Wars stuff. And no; it's not that the current films are that much worse. You've got the same nostalgia I have for OG Transformers. Except I recognize my nostalgia blinkers. The OT are not perfect films. A New Hope is rough if you take those blinkers off; it blew audiences away with the effects, which aren't anything special any more. Do I still love Star Wars? Yep. But do I hate-watch stuff just to make sure I'm adequately angry at how betrayed I feel? Fuckno. Who has time for that? If you think it's pig shit, stop rolling in it.

Honestly, it's not just this fandom. It's fandom, period. I feel like an outsider even to fandoms I should be a core member of, just because I won't embrace the toxic hate directed towards the IP that's supposedly what "true fandom" is.

Like, take Transformers. Grew up in the '80s, OG Transformers was my jam. I was perfectly set up to love the Michael Bay Transformers films, but I was expecting them to elevate the material since I'm well capable of recognizing the original cartoon was garbo if you're not like 8 years old. To be fair, almost everything was garbo aimed at marketing toys to kids back then. Still, I tried, and Bay's immaturity and weird shoehorned-in racism and misogyny turned me off. Did I rage about how those movies ruined everything forever? Nah. I just didn't spend my own time on them any more. Doesn't hurt my nostalgia at all.

And then Bumblebee came out, without Bay, and that film kicks ass.

I cannot possibly fathom the hate that makes "fans" force themselves to rage-watch material they clearly detest, to maintain their level of fury at what they're supposedly "fans" of. If you hate Star Wars, stop watching Star Wars stuff. And no; it's not that the current films are that much worse. You've got the same nostalgia I have for OG Transformers. Except I recognize my nostalgia blinkers. The OT are not perfect films. A New Hope is rough if you take those blinkers off; it blew audiences away with the effects, which aren't anything special any more. Do I still love Star Wars? Yep. But do I hate-watch stuff just to make sure I'm adequately angry at how betrayed I feel? Fuckno. Who has time for that? If you think it's pig shit, stop rolling in it.
    Oh definitely. I comment on the SW fandom because I've never been in one prior that is so vocal about how much they hate what they consume, so much that if you don't hate it you get screamed at. There's like two content creators I can stand that don't pander to ragebait and constantly post negative shit. So even if you want to just vibe with others and talk about awesome moments you've witnessed, it's an uphill battle.

Very short aside: Same about Transformers. I think what offended me the most is the treatment of Megan Fox. Girl is an OG turbonerd and she got harassed about that role for a decade.

People want to pretend Ahsoka (the character) and The Clone Wars CGI series were never hated either.
    Absolutely. It's the dumbest thing I've ever witnessed. I have so much more love for Star Wars because I just take it as it is instead of what I wish it was. Also can we shout out how Marc Thompson has so much passion for the novels? Because his narration is genuinely a treasure.

7+ Year Old Account
    I seem to recall the poster you're responding to also only matches the live action stuff so any of the awesome animated stuff that's still supervised by the same people don't count. Apparently the only Star Wars that matters is the live action stuff.
    Again, there is a difference in making movies, animations and live actions tv shows.

They can pull out movies and animations, what im saying is they can't do the live actions tv shows, most of the shows look and feel like they are movies split into episodes.

A lot of then use the same formula, first two episodes ok, the rest is trash with a "grand finale". In between is shallow, hollow, like they are run by algorithm, "when the episode is x minutes in, have a fight", or "if the mood is down make a joke"; Produce value is totally different from shows HBO pull and some that amazon does.

15+ Year Old Account
    Again, there is a difference in making movies, animations and live actions tv shows.
    Not really. At least for the formula you are complaining about. Plus Amazon and HBO do the same thing you call Disney/Lucas bad for doing. Production value between the major studios is not really that different. You just like what the others are doing more then you like what Disney is doing. Which is fine but lets at least acknowledge that everyone can be good and everyone can be bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    They can pull out movies and animations, what im saying is they can't do the live actions tv shows, most of the shows look and feel like they are movies split into episodes.
    The Clone Wars literally had episode arcs that if you removed the breaks would feel like a movie.

A lot of Television shows can do that. A lot do, and a lot of it does well.

You basically just made an arbitrary line ... for some reason.

A lot of then use the same formula, first two episodes ok, the rest is trash with a "grand finale". In between is shallow, hollow, like they are run by algorithm, "when the episode is x minutes in, have a fight", or "if the mood is down make a joke"; Produce value is totally different from shows HBO pull and some that amazon does.
    Yes ... because that's what they all do. They all have a formula. All drama series build to a climax. If there is action involve, there are action scenes.

It isn't really, because both HBO and Amazon follow similar formulas in their series.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Stories are formulaic by design, dude. See the Hero's Journey structure (which A New Hope heavily and blatantly follows), see the Seven Basic Plots, etc.

If you dislike formulaic plots and structures, yeah, you'll hate Star Wars. And most fiction. That's a "you" problem. The avant-garde experimental stuff you're looking for is out there, but you won't find it in blockbuster films and TV.
    Last edited by Endus; 2024-04-18 at 07:08 PM.