Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Wrong, the real answer is TBC and Wrath kept WoW franchise alive because Retail was at its lowest point after the BFA and SL catastrophes.

People that loved Classic already played, so not sure how anyone would expect any different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicknex View Post
    Exactly this. Tbc literally was released during the "darkest" time in wow history with the mass exodus and the lawsuit. Retail probably reached it's lowest sub count by far during this period.
    Since 1 subscription applies to 4 different versions of the game, it is hard to really say which players went to which version just by sub count.

In one of those dips, a large amount of players could have left to play other games, but some started playing Classic instead. But that chart wouldn't capture any of that.

It is incomplete data.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by ArenaDk View Post
    So, are we gonna talk about how with the released numbers, we finally saw that classic tbc and woltk literally had ZERO Impact on sub numbers, while dragonflight currently is above the peak of real tbc and classic ?

Any theories why that could be ? Will cata also fail like tbc and woltk?
    It only looks like that because Shadowlands was so bad that the people subbing for classic barely kept the overall subs at level.

Without Classic the dip would have been much greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    There are no released numbers.

You people shouldn't take Bellular seriously. He threw random numbers on the graph, said some yada yada and now you treat it like the bible.
    Just because you are not intelligent enough to understand how those numbers came to be doesn't mean those numbers are not correct. Just trust smarter people if you have no ideo.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Wrath Classic was actually a success. Literally just look at the graph. There was a rise in subs coinciding with Wrath Classic, leading up to DF's release 2 months later.

So Wrath Classic was actually a success.

As for TBC Classic, it did keep subs afloat for a time. But then the following month we had Korthia + State-filed lawswuit + Sylvanas cinematic fiasco "i WiLl NeVeR sErVe": it was literally the darkest period in this game's history, clearly even worse than WoD.

So it's not really surprising that TBC Classic couldn't keep the same momentum as Classic 2019, Wrath Classic, and SoD.
    All retail expansions release in the middle of the raising curve, so it's hard to say how much it raised because of wotlk classic vs DF release hype

I still would like a tbc realm.

The chart does more to show that classic players left in far fewer numbers than retail and continued to play while retail numbers fluctuate and drop quickly after releases.

7+ Year Old Account

You people shouldn't take Bellular seriously. He threw random numbers on the graph, said some yada yada and now you treat it like the bible.
    Idk if you know. But blizzard released the graph. Not bellular.
    Bellular just put numbers to it, but numbers does not change the graph. 1 million or 10 million, tbc and wotlk barely nudged the numbers, whatever they were.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

So, are we gonna talk about how with the released numbers, we finally saw that classic tbc and woltk literally had ZERO Impact on sub numbers, while dragonflight currently is above the peak of real tbc and classic ?

Before you can create a good theory, you have to have a solid premise. Yours is flawed.

The Classic bump started in Vanilla. So once TBC and Wrath rolled around, the players who wanted that nostalgic experience of running through the old game were already there. The impact TBC and Wrath have on subs is the same impact Classic Vanilla had on subs.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Before you can create a good theory, you have to have a solid premise. Yours is flawed.

The Classic bump started in Vanilla. So once TBC and Wrath rolled around, the players who wanted that nostalgic experience of running through the old game were already there. The impact TBC and Wrath have on subs is the same impact Classic Vanilla had on subs.
    Based on what? There's no garuntee people who signed up for Classic did so for TBC/Wrath. They could have simply prefered classic, or rode the decade long hypetrain thinking classic was something it wasn't.

Heck the lack of perma-TBC server suggests blizz doesn't consider it successful enough to keep aroud.

Oh the graph didnt show you what you wanted it to show?

This is why critical thinking skills are needed when looking at data. Why would you think that TBC or Wrath would increase subs like a traditional expansion?

In order for that to happen people would of had to skip Classic and only played TBC or Wrath in order for their to be a net increase in subs. While there are some of those people around, they are ultimatley so miniscule it didn't make an impact.

They did have a large impact to offset the loss of players from the complete failure that was shadowlands, but the bunch of retail players that switched to classic also quit after realizing classic isn't for them + classic players naturally quitting etc, which is why it looks stagnant.
    However none of this is the case for dragonflight, even if you were to assume that the entire bump was SoD, the drop off before that is very mild compared to anything before meaning its doing great.

I love how people look at the graph and just for some reason think the logo for the classic expansions lines up directly with when they were released lmao. Its so cringe there was a year and a half between TBC and Wotlk and 2 months between Wotlk and DF but its all roughly equally spaced and people just have no critical thinking at all
    Last edited by Erolian; 2024-03-27 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nak88 View Post
    Wrong, the real answer is TBC and Wrath kept WoW franchise alive because Retail was at its lowest point after the BFA and SL catastrophes.
    based on what?
    me and few other people i know play just classic with no interest in retail, so if it wasnt for classic we would not be there

so classic did "something" for WoW subs ;]

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Based on what? There's no garuntee people who signed up for Classic did so for TBC/Wrath. They could have simply prefered classic, or rode the decade long hypetrain thinking classic was something it wasn't.

Heck the lack of perma-TBC server suggests blizz doesn't consider it successful enough to keep aroud.
    It suggests that very few of the Classic players stayed to play Vanilla, so there was no point keeping perma TBC servers which would be mostly dead, which is my point. Those Vanilla players moved to TBC, then moved to Wrath.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    based on what?
    me and few other people i know play just classic with no interest in retail, so if it wasnt for classic we would not be there

so classic did "something" for WoW subs ;]
    Yes, basically this. Lots of folks I know play and sub only for Classic who would not sub for Retail (including me).

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of folks I know play and sub only for Classic who would not sub for Retail (including me).
    Same here. Unless there were Wrath Classic, Vanilla HC and SoD, I would cancel sub long ago. Retail is abysmally bad.

15+ Year Old Account

Geeez, these are OFFICIAL charts. Bellular only added numeric interpretation to the charts based on OFFICIAL statements.
    The curve in the chart IS OFFICIAL and the numbers are very close to reality.

On topic: classic, BC, LK and SOD are mostly played by the same set of people, therefore no big sub spike happened when anything post vanilla was released - the people interested in these products were already playing.

Say hello to your hate boner from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ermelloth View Post
    Same here. Unless there were Wrath Classic, Vanilla HC and SoD, I would cancel sub long ago. Retail is abysmally bad.
    Same same. Without Classic, i would have not resubbed back in 2019.