Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I think I found it.

Description
    <Najak snarls.>

Before the night elves existed there was troll. It was from troll that the night elves came.

Their mutinous attacks against my people will not be tolerated. Staghelm seeks to wipe us out - to leave no trace of those that bore him and his ilk. It will not happen!

For every night elf that you slay and decapitate, Najak will grant you favor amongst the Darkspear. Word of your deeds will be spread across Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Go now and serve the Darkspear!
    those were the good quests it seems, was vanilla only? i faintly remember doing in cata something similar. But to be fair, i think there is a couple that require elf heads/ears

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    those were the good quests it seems, was vanilla only? i faintly remember doing in cata something similar. But to be fair, i think there is a couple that require elf heads/ears
    I only remember this from the old days myself, idk if it was still around. I vaguely remembered the quest and looked it up. At least it's a nice confirmation.

Sounds pretty similar to public awareness on such things today. The educated know, while some are willfully ignorant due to cultural or religious reasons. There are people in real life who still don't accept evolution or that all humanity began in Africa, that we all descended from tribes of dark-skinned people with kinky black hair. Why? Because some humans grew up being taught that their skin color and/or hair type marked them as better than those who were different. I imagine that's representative of the mix of opinions among elves and trolls toward each other.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Of course It's intriguing lore that the Kaldorei

Of course! It's intriguing lore that the Kaldorei, or night elves, originated from trolls, transformed by the Well of Eternity's influence. This revelation, disclosed by Blizzard, adds a fascinating layer to their history. However, within the World of Warcraft universe, the awareness of this evolutionary connection might not be widespread among the night elves themselves. Educated circles may acknowledge it, delving into the lore's depths, but it's likely not common knowledge among the populace. The notion of being distant kin to trolls could be met with mixed reactions, perhaps even considered taboo by some, given the historical enmity between the two races. Yet, for those interested in the world's origins and evolution, it's a captivating narrative to explore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sufiocholi View Post
    Of course! It's intriguing lore that the Kaldorei, or night elves, originated from trolls, transformed by the Well of Eternity's influence. This revelation, disclosed by Blizzard, adds a fascinating layer to their history. However, within the World of Warcraft universe, the awareness of this evolutionary connection might not be widespread among the night elves themselves. Educated circles may acknowledge it, delving into the lore's depths, but it's likely not common knowledge among the populace. The notion of being distant kin to trolls could be met with mixed reactions, perhaps even considered taboo by some, given the historical enmity between the two races. Yet, for those interested in the world's origins and evolution, it's a captivating narrative to explore.
    I don't want make any assumptions but... this sound suspiciously like you asked chatgpt about the question OP asked.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    It is known in universe to be "a possibility"
    The night elves say "nuh uh, we are not related to those savages!"
    but meanwhile the blood elves mock them for being troll-kin during suramar. so yeah

it is known in world, just like how the oshugon the orcs worshipped on draenor is in fact a draenei space ship. but like that, they don't like it if you tell them that, and they won't beleive you even if you do.
    (For those who don't know, velen told the orcs and they were NOT happy.)
    Technically it wasn't the blood elvesmocking the night elves for being savages, but Elisande loyalists undercover trying to sow dissent and have them fight each other.. this is made rather clear in the questing. Elisande plays on the prejudices she knows the two elf groups have against each other, and when people don't like each other they use derogator terms..

"savages" is often used as a derogatory term to any body who attacks another.. it doesn't actually mean the group is savage.. and only orcs consider it a compliment.

Anyway, we infiltrated the Nightborne using magical disguises, and we find out that Elisande had done the same, enough time to find out what offended each group and use it against the other, it ultimately failed, but it would appear that there a players who actually think this was some sortof truth.. because they dn't see night elves as the people who built and lived in places like Zin'Azshari, Suramar, Eldre'thalas or more recent Darnassus, or Temples like the Cathedral of Eternal Night or Temple of the Moon/Elune - but tend to erase these from their minds and choose to only see them as people who live exclusively in caves and tree homes, and so think them so. WEll, I know Blood elf fans are particularly fond of this, one tend s to just elves people to think what they want, regardless of what is actually the case

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Technically it wasn't the blood elvesmocking the night elves for being savages, but Elisande loyalists undercover trying to sow dissent and have them fight each other.. this is made rather clear in the questing. Elisande plays on the prejudices she knows the two elf groups have against each other, and when people don't like each other they use derogator terms..

"savages" is often used as a derogatory term to any body who attacks another.. it doesn't actually mean the group is savage.. and only orcs consider it a compliment.

Anyway, we infiltrated the Nightborne using magical disguises, and we find out that Elisande had done the same, enough time to find out what offended each group and use it against the other, it ultimately failed, but it would appear that there a players who actually think this was some sortof truth.. because they dn't see night elves as the people who built and lived in places like Zin'Azshari, Suramar, Eldre'thalas or more recent Darnassus, or Temples like the Cathedral of Eternal Night or Temple of the Moon/Elune - but tend to erase these from their minds and choose to only see them as people who live exclusively in caves and tree homes, and so think them so. WEll, I know Blood elf fans are particularly fond of this, one tend s to just elves people to think what they want, regardless of what is actually the case
    It is human nature (as in, we human players, and all fantasy race mentalities have to draw upon the ways we human authors and readers think) to distrust 'others'. From back in primitive times when anyone not in our tribe was a very real threat. Those instincts are deep-seated, and even today we have a tendency to 'other' people who don't look and act the ways we are used to. Some of us rise above this, of course, but the tendency persists, especially among the less educated. Most fantasy writers extrapolate that some of their characters would do the same.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    It is human nature (as in, we human players, and all fantasy race mentalities have to draw upon the ways we human authors and readers think) to distrust 'others'. From back in primitive times when anyone not in our tribe was a very real threat. Those instincts are deep-seated, and even today we have a tendency to 'other' people who don't look and act the ways we are used to. Some of us rise above this, of course, but the tendency persists, especially among the less educated. Most fantasy writers extrapolate that some of their characters would do the same.
    @FelPlague They also don't realise that this is what you do in war.. why was the sneer used ? Because it was considered to be offensive enough - would it be true if it was offensive? would you get offended if it was true? If you truly were a mana addict would you get offended if someone called you that? No, but it's worse if they did and it had once been true and a painful thing you went through.

Same with calling the night elves savages, Are they savages? No.. but it was painful to have to live without the temples and the cities for all but the druid is amongst the night elves, as it was a sacrifice to keep the Legion away.. sure many made peace with it, but it evokes the pain of how much they lost, as off course many of those night elves, like their Nightborne sub-race were around back then.

And yes, indeed you are right Felfaadaern, the maturity showed by Tyrande and the other elves comes through as they don't come to blows, the leaders are annoyed that their people are being riled up by this, because they know these insults shouldn't get to you, but obviously they did a little, turns out the Nightborne were playing both sides. Hehe.. but yeh, typical human nature

There was a quest in Legion during the siege of Suramar where the Blood Elves and Night Elves were taunting each other by leaving snarky items to be found in each other's camps.

One of the items was I think (I'm probably wrong) a troll plushie named "Your ancestor" or something.

So yes; it's known.

EDIT: Found it!

Last edited by thottstation; 2024-04-20 at 12:18 PM.