Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    Trolls predate anything, All troll kind came from the the Zandalari. And nelves came from the Dark Trolls specifically.

I'd sooner believe that it's indeed some strange mutation with quilboar rather than a troll. And I guess Scythe of Elune could be involved at some point.

But now that I look at it, it would make more sense.

Quilboars also have tusks, they have fur and quills.

Night elves EWWW!!!
    Some kind of mortals existed all the way back in the Black Empire. They were sacrificing someone after all with their altars running with blood. I assume that was proto-trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Vol'jin is featured with these scales as well in his statue.

So either these are the "sploshes" that trolls have on their model, just poorly rendered, or some trolls still have the scales for reasons.
    I really like this statue. Dynamic pose, nice model, vivid colors. Simple but effective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Some kind of mortals existed all the way back in the Black Empire. They were sacrificing someone after all with their altars running with blood. I assume that was proto-trolls.
    Proto trolls would look like an actual trolls tho, and not nelves with quills and fur.

And as was mentioned here:

Quote Originally Posted by LemonDemonGirl View Post
    Also the number of digits changing makes no sense. So they started with three, then five, and then back to three? Doesn't work tbh
    I'd expect from proto trolls 3 features :
    1) Tusks
    2) three fingers
    4) Some form of scales on their skin so they could emulate reptilian or elemental features.

Those NPCs of all troll features only has tusks. As even ear shapes aren't right.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

3+ Year Old Account
    I thought Jungle Trolls are supposed to have fur or something that makes them look blue
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonDemonGirl View Post
    I thought Jungle Trolls are supposed to have fur or something that makes them look blue
    According to the Troll Compendium feature on the old WoW site: "Jungle trolls' bodies are covered in short, soft fur that causes the trolls to appear purple or gray." Similarly, Forest trolls have green/brown fur in which moss-like vegetation can be found, helping them better blend into the forest regions they call home.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account

I'd expect from proto trolls 3 features :
    1) Tusks
    2) three fingers
    4) Some form of scales on their skin so they could emulate reptilian or elemental features.

Those NPCs of all troll features only has tusks. As even ear shapes aren't right.
    So, this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If we somehow do get a void Hunter class, I’ll be the first one to post in this thread to admit my error.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    According to the Troll Compendium feature on the old WoW site: "Jungle trolls' bodies are covered in short, soft fur that causes the trolls to appear purple or gray." Similarly, Forest trolls have green/brown fur in which moss-like vegetation can be found, helping them better blend into the forest regions they call home.
    The thing with troll fur seems to have been retconned a long long time ago
    We had several HD troll models in the BfA cinematic and not a single one was shown with fur.

I think the only example of fur in game is Frost King Malakk, who displays some in his back.
    And Forest Trolls are mostly covered in moss

In the Vol'jin novel the fur is kinda mentioned, but then again, Genn had a tail on a novel. So this might've been the author messing up
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2024-04-18 at 12:53 PM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    We had several HD troll models in the BfA cinematic and not a single one was shown with fur.

I think the only example of fur in game is Frost King Malakk, who displays some in his back.

In the Vol'jin novel the fur is kinda mentioned, but then again, Genn had a tail on a novel. So this might've been the author messing up
    It's one of those things that's always been mentioned in books or text but never carried over in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

The only real troll we see close-up in the BfA cinematics is Zekhan, who doesn't seem to have any real visible fur but also isn't a big sample size insofar as that goes. Fur is also difficult to render even today, so it would make sense for cinematic/graphical expediency to go with blue flesh as shorthand. It's not a big deal, but multiple sources of WoW lore confirm that jungle, ice, and forest trolls all have a degree of fur on their bodies. Forest trolls can also be covered in algae, as well; based on some in-game Archaeology descriptions.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Baraden View Post
    Somehow they gave night elf women even thicker thighs

Also as people will quickly point out, way too detailed not to be an allied race at some point
    Would be another f'in elf. Nelfs, belfs, velfs, nightborne, now trolves or whatever. I think this and earthen is kind of out of touch with the community.

I don't think quilboars as origins are so far fetched. From what i've seen its likely that the remnants of elun'ahir are somewhere in the new zone underground.
    So what if its simply elune's power that turns everything into elves? Trolls into the ones we know, quilboars into the harronir, and maybe even nerubians into the new humanoid nerubians.
    It was said that Xal'atath turned the nerubians into the humanoids, but its possible she didn't use the void, but elune's power for that.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only real troll we see close-up in the BfA cinematics is Zekhan, who doesn't seem to have any real visible fur but also isn't a big sample size insofar as that goes. Fur is also difficult to render even today, so it would make sense for cinematic/graphical expediency to go with blue flesh as shorthand. It's not a big deal, but multiple sources of WoW lore confirm that jungle, ice, and forest trolls all have a degree of fur on their bodies. Forest trolls can also be covered in algae, as well; based on some in-game Archaeology descriptions.
    While not a definitive proof by any means, here's an HD render of one of the troll warriors from the BfA cinematic

https://www.zbrushcentral.com/t/trol...r-model/207868
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Enrif View Post
    So, this?
    That's not a troll, and you know it. Quilboars are the children of a wild god.

- - - Updated - - -

While not a definitive proof by any means, here's an HD render of one of the troll warriors from the BfA cinematic

D'awww he carries around orc companion.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not a troll, and you know it. Quilboars are the children of a wild god.
    Well, it could be both. Trolls and Night Elves hold the Wild Gods/Loa in high regard, but none of them is descended of a wild god? This sounds strange. And the Quillboar connection is rather solid in the key factors of tusks and three digit fingers. That these new elf-troll hybrids have quills is a good connection towards the quillboars, unless blizzard gives us a porcupine wild god.
    If we somehow do get a void Hunter class, I’ll be the first one to post in this thread to admit my error.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

That model would be Zekhan, too; as he's the showcased troll that was memetically labeled "Zappy Boy" from the original BfA cinematic.

10+ Year Old Account
    That model would be Zekhan, too; as he's the showcased troll that was memetically labeled "Zappy Boy" from the original BfA cinematic.
    That is not Zekhans model. There were two more trolls in the BfA cinematic. One with a shield that Anduin smites. And one with daggers(this model) that goes down on Genn after he was zapped by Zekhan. Three different trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    That is not Zekhans model. There were two more trolls in the BfA cinematic. One with a shield that Anduin smites. And one with daggers(this model) that goes down on Genn after he was zapped by Zekhan. Three different trolls.
    Hmmm, I wasn't aware those were different trolls - they all look similar to me, I guess I'll have to re-watch the cinematic. That aside, though, do we know which of those potential trolls that render is actually of?

Hmmm, I wasn't aware those were different trolls - they all look similar to me, I guess I'll have to re-watch the cinematic. That aside, though, do we know which of those potential trolls that render is actually of?
    That should've been easy to tell even by looking at their clothes alone. This gu doesn't wear a kilt, does he?
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

10+ Year Old Account
    the model should be the troll that goes down on Genn after he was zapped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    That should've been easy to tell even by looking at their clothes alone. This gu doesn't wear a kilt, does he?
    I wouldn't say Zekhan wears a kilt, either - although that render isn't 1:1 for any of the trolls in the cinematic either, insofar as I can tell. All of the trolls in the cinematic are wearing facemasks and the render isn't, as well. The render also has a loin-cloth hanging flap or fringe not too dissimilar from Zekhan's.

you joke, but what if

Quillboar and trolls both have tusks... and Quillboars and trolls have the same amount of fingers and toes...
    I like this theory. However with current lore nelfs evolve from dark trolls but I would not mind that much if they would change it your way.