WSVG, Voice chat, blue posts

I think I managed to beat my Blue Post record today, but we start with a not-so-nice news.

WSVG Cancelled
    Effective immediately, Games Media Properties will no longer produce the World Series of Video Games. The remainder of the 2007 season in Los Angeles, London and Sweden is cancelled.

The World Series of Video Games launched with the goal of expanding interest and participation in competitive gaming. Over the course of two seasons, we have been honored by the strong support the community has shown in attending our festivals, and watching our competitions online and on television-- all in record-setting numbers. We have been grateful for the generous support provided by Intel and other sponsors since our inception.

However, the continuing challenges of securing adequate revenues to sustain the production of the WSVG's large scale events and television programming, in a very crowded field of competitive gaming leagues, has prompted us to re-evaluate our direction as an organization.

Unfortunately, the decision is to cancel the remainder of the WSVG season, as we shift our focus solely to growing our online advertising network of websites, which currently reach seven million users each month.

We are proud of the accomplishments and memorable entertainment we have provided through the World Series of Video Games. While we are sorry that this news will disappoint our fans and players, we are deeply appreciative that we have had the opportunity to contribute to the growth of eSports.

Voice chat launch ramp-up
    Originally Posted by Drysc (Blue Tracker)
    In the upcoming patch we will be introducing voice chat, which allows players to talk to each other in-game with the use of a microphone. To ensure that we provide the quality play experience we’re committed to, we will be ramping up the voice chat feature in multiple stages. Currently we are scheduling voice chat to be available on patch day for a limited number of realms. While all realms will still receive the 2.2 patch, and all the content and changes therein, only some realms will have voice chat enabled at the start. We plan to then enable voice chat for the remaining realms the following week. This ramp up release will help us to test the voice chat feature in a live realm environment before enabling it on all realms.

To read more about the upcoming Voice Chat feature, click here: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1272012664&sid=1

The initial set of realms that will have voice chat enabled on patch day: Aerie Peak, Altar of Storms, Alterac Mountains, Andorhal, Anetheron, Anvilmar, Archimonde, Arygos, Black Dragonflight, Blackwing Lair, Dalaran, Dalvengyr, Deathwing, Demon Soul, Dentarg, Doomhammer, Duskwood, Executus, Gnomeregan, Haomarush, Icecrown, Jaedenar, Kel'Thuzad, Khadgar, Lethon, Mal'Ganis, Norgannon, Onyxia, Scilla, Sentinels, Steamwheedle Cartel, Tanaris, The Venture Co, Thrall, Turalyon, Uldaman, Undermine, Ysera, Ysondre, Zuluhed.
    All other realms are scheduled to have voice chat enabled the week following the patch release week.
    8 Parts armor sets
    Sorry, no more of them scheduled. (I guess they will replace the 8 parts sets in lvl80-Naxxramas with 5 parts + tons of non-set items)
    [blizzquote="Bornakk;http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1602651068&pageNo=1&sid=1#15]The problem with a big 8 piece armor set is that it may cause someone to ignore an item that would be great for them as they are focused on the specific items that will get their set bonus. With the 5 piece sets, players are able to mix and match pieces to fit their style of play better or even help out for the specific encounter they are at. At this time we are happy with the itemization that the 5 piece armor sets offer and plan to continue implementing them.[/blizzquote"]

Arena Season 3
    It will start with the release of the 2.3 Patch, but it could change.
    Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker)
    We haven't posted word on this yet. We would like to give at least a couple of weeks advance notice, but giving notice on the timing is contingent on several factors. We'll do our best though.

Q: Is season 3 currently scheduled for the same patch as 2.3 or not?
    A: That's the last I heard. Again, that could change.
    Retribution paladins / enhancement shamans changes
    They're still scheduled for the 2.3 (along with the Season 3) , except if something goes wrong.
    [blizzquote="Nethaera;http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1602200825&pageNo=1&sid=1#11]We can't answer this as of yet. Ret and Enhance changes are coming as you stated, but we can't say if it's coming at the same time as S3 yet or not. First we need to get patch 2.2.0 into live and then we need to get the next patch onto the test realms. We do plan to give people notice ahead of time on when we hope to initiate Season 3, however. We don't plan to give any advance previews of things either, but everyone will be able to check things out on the test realm when it all hits.[/blizzquote"]

Bigger bags in WotLK
    So ... We'll get new bags, but we'll get something much better too. [item=23840] revival in the expansion ?
    Originally Posted by Drysc (Blue Tracker)
    We're mindful of space concerns, and increasing the base backpack size is certainly a possibility for the future. We have other space and storage increases currently in the works for release before Wrath though, and we'll be talking about those soon.

Q: Can you give us those Super Backpacks from the PTR the 36 slotters i still has space issues even using those XD.
    A: Probably not. But don't worry, there's better stuff in the works.
    Classic servers
    Non-expansion servers are ... not coming !
    Originally Posted by Vaneras (Blue Tracker)
    The idea for having classic realms is not a new one… People have suggested or requested that Vanilla WoW realms should be opened, where the level cap is 60 and there is no content beyond Naxx.

We recognize the fact that some people prefer the pre-expansion content over the current content and as a result would like to revel in nostalgia, however the developers are planning to keep the game moving forward as they want the game to continue progressing and evolving.

There are no plans for classic realms at this point in time, so you should not expect to see the opening of such realms with the launch of WotLK.
    Draenei weapon size on PTR and 2.2 Release date
    Draenei weapons are smaller on the PTR, no big deal, it will be fixed. But Hortus definitely mentionned the "next PTR build", if we don't get it today or tomorrow, it probably means one more week before we can get the 2.2
    [blizzquote="Hortus;http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1602490252&pageNo=1&sid=1#5]This is a bug and should be fixed in the next PTR build.[/blizzquote"]

Death Knights are evil
    But they're still nice guys.
    [blizzquote="Nethaera;http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=1602490879&pageNo=3&sid=1#51][b][color=white]Q: [/color][/b"]So the deathknights will be similar to the forsaken? In that they both simply escaped the lich king's grasp? Neato.
    A: I wouldn't say necessarily similar, though I'm sure you could extrapolate some similarities. We have yet to lay out the path to becoming a Death Knight, however, there is significant question as to what choices will be available for those that go down that path. Remember, Arthas didn't set out to become a Death Knight, but his good intentions were twisted on him. He may yet get some pleasure out of doing the same to others.[/bilzzquote]

Re: WSVG, Voice chat, blue posts

The problem with a big 8 piece armor set is that it may cause someone to ignore an item that would be great for them as they are focused on the specific items that will get their set bonus. With the 5 piece sets, players are able to mix and match pieces to fit their style of play better or even help out for the specific encounter they are at. At this time we are happy with the itemization that the 5 piece armor sets offer and plan to continue implementing them.
    Putting 8 piece armopr sets in the game with a max 4 pcs setbonus would give the player alot more mix and match possibilities. I don't know the reason why they don't implement this anymore but the reasons given here.. I don't realy believe.

No big surprise there. Despite what we'd like to think, Blizzard is a real company and must generate revenue. Profit is the name of the game, which does not necessarily mean making customers happy all the time.

In short, vanilla WoW nostalgia realms give players a reason to not buy the expansions and are thereby less profitable than normal, expansion realms.

Remote mail terminal, can't see how i managed to play without it for so long!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrsenus
    No big surprise there. Despite what we'd like to think, Blizzard is a real company and must generate revenue. Profit is the name of the game, which does not necessarily mean making customers happy all the time.

In short, vanilla WoW nostalgia realms give players a reason to not buy the expansions and are thereby less profitable than normal, expansion realms.
    You got it mate, unfortunately everything circles around money. There is no "oh the developers do not want classic realms" we all know they are not blizzard's head chief. A developer compared to the modern world is like a soldier, he gets ordered what to do and paid for it.

I have thought season 3 will come with 2.4. but 2.3. is a good news

Bigger bags in WotLK

Q: Can you give us those Super Backpacks from the PTR the 36 slotters i still has space issues even using those XD.
    A: Probably not. But don't worry, there's better stuff in the works.
    This is probably hinting what was said at the blizzcon about the new itemrack-like feature coming. With the difference of them giving us a space to store all those multiple armor pieces (as in: not in our bags). So the bag space might stay the same but we'll have less stuff to put in them :]

Yeah the ItemRack equivelent futures sounds like it'd be something like an alternative character screen (the one with the items not the one where you choose your char). Having slots for everything that the normal screen has andnot being able to carry 2 sorts of pants or 3 trinkets, or possibly normal items like gray junk, trade junk and stuff. That sounds like the perfect addon.

[/bilzzquote] ftw! 8)

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by enno
    The problem with a big 8 piece armor set is that it may cause someone to ignore an item that would be great for them as they are focused on the specific items that will get their set bonus. With the 5 piece sets, players are able to mix and match pieces to fit their style of play better or even help out for the specific encounter they are at. At this time we are happy with the itemization that the 5 piece armor sets offer and plan to continue implementing them.
    Putting 8 piece armopr sets in the game with a max 4 pcs setbonus would give the player alot more mix and match possibilities. I don't know the reason why they don't implement this anymore but the reasons given here.. I don't realy believe.
    I actually support Blizzard on this one. With 8 piece set, it pretty much forced you to go 8/8 T1,T2, ect. If you saw a nice side-grade, or even potential upgrade, you would have to consider your set bonus. Now, with a 5 piece set, with only 4 pieces required for a bonus, people are free to mix and match their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ndrew
    Quote Originally Posted by enno
    I actually support Blizzard on this one. With 8 piece set, it pretty much forced you to go 8/8 T1,T2, ect. If you saw a nice side-grade, or even potential upgrade, you would have to consider your set bonus. Now, with a 5 piece set, with only 4 pieces required for a bonus, people are free to mix and match their gear.
    Read what I said. 8 pcs armor set with only a 4 pcs setbonus on it. THAT gives you flexibility. Offcourse you'd be grabbing both tier x and tier x+1 but isn't that exactly more mix and match posibilities?