Page 1 of 2
LastLast

is a mage priest viable?? (2v2)

Im a disc/holy priest and i used to have a 2v2 team with a warlock, and we did great and got a decent raiting of mid 1700s, but the warlock basically stopped playing, so now im stuck. I have a couple of RL friends on the server but the only one who is 70 is a mage, and he wants to start on with my 2v2 team.

now, i couldnt care less if we did bad, but i dont want to wreck my already good raiting, because I have a warrior friend who is currently lvl 65, and i know a priest warrior combo is great(so i want him to be my 2v2 partner), then we could make a 3v3 team of the mage me and the warrior.

buuuuuut, I dont want to still around with my raiting almost at 1800 not getting arena points waiting for the warrior to hit 70, and get gear (prob get to 70 in 2-3 weeks, and geared enough in another 2 weeks after that)

so.... blah, what do you guys suggest? should i wait for a month of and half till the warrior gets geared then start from my high raiting? Try the mage priest combo, (and probably destroy my raiting)? or.... (what do you guys think?)

Thanks guys

Secretive

Re: is a mage priest viable?? (2v2)

I didn't really read the whole post to be honest, but I will answer your question: No.

Frostie and Priest will get roflstomped.

yup, there is no way i would team with a healer on my frost mage we would run out of mana if we had to dish out all the dps against both targets, so mages go well with another dps class... i would advise you to just try and find another warlock / warrior to team with , or a priest + decent rogue works very well, a priest + rogue combo is top on my server atm
    Zukias (Main) (70 mage - Al'Akir) http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Al%27Akir&n=Zukias

Currently specced full frost my 2v2 partner is a shadow priest we are rated 1845.

Secretive

Holy/Disc Priest is very powerful with a Rogue. Very, very powerful.

Holy/Disc Priest + Me(Frost Mage) we've gotten to 2010 rating with 10-3 win/loss ratio this week, so i reckon we can get it higher still.

YES. It does work!

Secretive

Your battlegroup must suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Secretive
    Your battlegroup must suck.
    No my battlegroup doesnt suck, but you must do.

Grats on the 1500 rated 2on2 mate!

Secretive

Quote Originally Posted by cythra
    No my battlegroup doesnt suck, but you must do.

Grats on the 1500 rated 2on2 mate!
    LOL, the only time any of my 2v2 teams are 1500 is when I first turn in the charter. I'm not quite sure who you're looking at, but certainly not me.

If you're EU, try looking at the US ratings or something.

Battlegroup 9 (Bloodlust) is the most competitive Battlegroup in the United States, bar none, ipso facto. And I definitely do not have a 1500 rated 2v2... Stop snorting cocaine, you're hallucinating.

I play a mage and tried for fun last night how a priest/mage setup would work. Imo we need some more practice but we got up to around 1950 with a 30-3 win/loss ratio and I think we can go pretty far with the team. The possibility to drain the other teams healer is really nice. Only problem I can see is if I go oom cause then we loose the possibility to CC the person chasing my priest, which means he cant drink. Druids are the biggest problem I can see for this team due to the simple reason that it's almost impossible for me to catch them.

Secretive

I just don't see how the combo can work, at all.

Scenario:

Frost Mage and 28/33 Priest

My Warrior charges the Mage, proceeds to chunk 30% of life out at a time (we're assuming, as it is on Bloodlust, that everyone's 5/5 Merciless w/ accessories), the Priest responds with one Prayer of Mending and maybe a Renew before I have him Cycloned. The Mage iceblocks, I toss HoT on my Warrior (Regrowth, 2x Lifebloom that I never let bloom because Priests love to Dispell my HoT and Lifebloom goes BOOM when Dispelled) After 3, I let the Priest toss one more Prayer of Mending and maybe a PW:S and then he charges a Greater Heal, almost inevitably, since his Mage is being flat out destroyed by my Warrior and a Flash Heal just won't cut it. I shift into bear, and I charge. This interrupts the Priest's heal. Then I Bash, so now he's stunned and he has a dead Mage for a partner. But I'm just an OP Druid, I guess.

Warlock/Rogue would completely obliterate Priest/Mage, as would SPriest/Warlock. Warrior/Paladin wouldn't be so strong against Mage/Priest because there's no real CC there besides HoJ. I can't imagine Mage/Priest beating anything with another Priest. The other team's DPS will always target the Mage, and with a Priest and a .5 second Mass Dispell, that Ice Block will be history in a hurry. We'll assume that Polymorph will be on DR by the time the Mage needs to Ice Block, if he even has a chance to Poly at all with a Rogue or Warlock (the Priest's two favorite 2v2 partners IME) beating the snot out of them.

So on terrible battlegroups where a 1900 rating is ranked in the top 200 or something, then yes Mage/Priest can be good for some points. I challenge you to find a team that's Mage/Priest on a 2v2 that is ranked over 1900 on my battlegroup. I'll be surprised if there's more than one.

As said, we only played up to 1950 before we decided to quit for the day. Guessing some proper competition will show up at around 2050-2100rating, most teams so far does alot of misstakes against us so can't really say we're meeting ppl at the same "level" as us.

it work well with a disc (pain suppresion)/ frost mage

the only diffuclt fight are druid healer/warrior

other are pretty easy... pally warrior are so easy

as a 2100+ mage in all brackets atm (and 2200+ in all at best shape) i can only say a BIG BIG - NONO.

Talking about people who know their shit you will never beat any team with healer + DPS combo. And you will struggle with most 2x DPS combos =)
    If you plan to get serious just ditch it, but if you wanna sit around and enjoy at 1500-1900 rating go on.

If you only want to play with your RL friends, i'd say give it a try. If u wait for the Warrior, there will be very little time left to play with your good rating, untill season 3 will start, were you will loose your rating anyway.

Hmm, i must of been really tired and looking at someone elses arena teams >.<.

2010 gives us around 260 rank or something which i wouldnt say its 'bad' but it isnt great. Your right your battlegroup is probably 100x better than ours but i still think it works :>.

Secretive

I actually fought one of these teams last night!! While it wasn't a roll-over victory for us, it was kinda challenging because of Prayer of Mending and PW:S, and that neither myself nor my partner (either the Rogue or the Warrior) can dispell buffs, so the other team had Fortitude and all that other crap.

We play 4 games with them, won 3 and lost 1. The loss was definitely due to switching the Rogue out and the Warrior in. The Mage was on me Polymorphing me (I know, I shift out, but it's still a spell interrupt) and while I was in sheep/caster, I was being mana burnt slowly but surely. I only took 20 Star's Tears into the Arena with me and I used it all during the match we lost.

I am convinced that Mage/Priest is most effective against teams like Warrior/Druid that have no Dispell Magic tool. This confirms my belief that Mage/Priest would get worked by SPriest/Warlock, Warlock/Warlock, Rogue/Druid, and perhaps Mage/Mage (2 elementals with no Banish makes for a flipping ton of burst damage on one target and the possibility for lots of Shatter combos).

Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Secretive

I am convinced that Mage/Priest is most effective against teams like Warrior/Druid that have no Dispell Magic tool. This confirms my belief that Mage/Priest would get worked by SPriest/Warlock, Warlock/Warlock, Rogue/Druid, and perhaps Mage/Mage (2 elementals with no Banish makes for a flipping ton of burst damage on one target and the possibility for lots of Shatter combos).

Anyway...
    My experiences:

SPriest/Warlock : Win, not an easy fight but we can do it
    Warlock/Warlock : Never met at our rating
    Rogue/Druid (Resto i persume?) : If the druid is skilled, we cannot win
    Mage/Mage : Most likely a loss with a priest unable to heal with 2x CS and all that burst. But again never met before

Secretive

Wait, you cite that 2x Mage's silence makes it hard on the Priest, yet you don't find a problem with the SPriest Silence and then a chain of Fear effects from the Warlock? An aggressive SPriest/Warlock team can effectively lock down your Healer for a solid 10-13 seconds while you, the Mage, get completely walloped. Maybe you haven't fought an aggressive SPriest/Warlock team but I know they can be truly devastating.

Silence, Spell lock, Deathcoil, Fear, instant cast Howl of Terror = your Priest MAYBE got a chance to toss ONE heal and a Shadow Priest with solid gear can easily crit a SWeath for 3k+, which is a third of your life.

Hard to believe you've never seen a Warlock/Warlock team. The 2000 ratings are crawling with 2x Warlock in bg9.