Best hunter Pet for raiding in PVE HL

hi everyone,

just want to know which pet is better for raiding in HL, not for BM spec, but survival Spec.

we have a wolf, which buff dps cac, don't know the real impact for the group.

we have a owl, which unbuffing the target for 210 AP, don't know if it's really good. on one boss is it a real gain for the MT.

we have basic dpsing pet, ravager etc...

Re: Best hunter Pet for raiding in PVE HL

Quote Originally Posted by Epoc
    hi everyone,

just want to know which pet is better for raiding in HL, not for BM spec, but survival Spec.

we have a wolf, which buff dps cac, don't know the real impact for the group.

we have a owl, which unbuffing the target for 210 AP, don't know if it's really good. on one boss is it a real gain for the MT.

we have basic dpsing pet, ravager etc...

It really depends on what the raid needs. If you are always in a melee group, use a wolf. If the tank is squishy, use an owl. If neither of these apply, use a DPS pet (ravager, cat).

In reality, the choice in pet won't really matter. The damage it does, while a boost, is pretty marginal for survival hunters, and the buffs/debuffs, while i guess just a little extra, are just that, just a little extra, and in no way game changing.

The owl would probably be your worst choice, because the debuff could in theory push something else off. I would go with a pure DPS pet personally.

As a tank... Owls are incredibly annoying. Owls (and possibly the carrion birds, but I'm not sure, not many use them) and bats use one soundwave file over and over and over and over until you want to strangle the creature and beat the hunter. ;P

Wolves, cats, etc aren't anywhere near as bad because their scratching/biting/clawing soundwave files vary and mix in with the din of other melee attack sounds.

But birds and bats... ugh. Save yourself the hatred of your MT/OT and don't pick anything that flies.

"The damage it does, while a boost, is pretty marginal for survival hunters"
    There's one aspect here that is important. Survival hunters are the ones with the highest crit rate. If they are also specced Go for the Throat, it means that the pet will generate a lot of focus, so using a pet with a nice focus dump is nice. A wind serpent is awesome at this as the Lightning Breath is instant, cost no mana and cost 50 focus (the same as Go for the Throat generates at each crit the hunter makes). Therefore, a wind serpent is very good for a survival hunter in pure DPS uses.

A tip for this is to add "/cast Lightning Breath" in your macro or to a key that you press a lot to stop the pet from going ranged to spit it's breath.

EDIT: I think OP means High Level when he writes "HL".

Id say ravager for straight dps. Just look at this guide - http://dominateyourserver.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KetMalice
    HL=?
    High Level -> BT of Hyjal

Ravager is awesome because of Gore. Although I do switch up my cat and the ravager....just because there's a bond with my cat. I've had him since lvl 40 :-\

well as a survival hunter, with a large sum of ap, and crit and if you also have go for the throat then a wind serpent is definately the best choice, as it gets more spell damage from your high ap and more focus from go for the throat.

I've talked some hunters in my guild and they say the wolf with Furious howl is nice when they are in a ranged group that get the buff.
    Faris lvl 85 Druid Stromreaver

grats to uninformed hunters giving bad advice.

SV hunters should roll with wind serpents.

that's the end of it.

Survial (Buff Bot): Wolf for the 5-10 Extra DPS or Wind Serpent

Marksman: Wind Serpent Scales nicely with AP

BM: Ravager or those cats that are in Skettis

I'm in MH and still using my trusty Warp Stalker but thats because I like RP

use wind serpent for survival and ravager for beast master

Depends on gear levels.

T5/6 Wind Serpant > Pretty much everything else though not by far enough to make it essential.

Quote Originally Posted by faris
    I've talked some hunters in my guild and they say the wolf with Furious howl is nice when they are in a ranged group that get the buff.
    This is about as wrong as you can possibly get. Let's look at the skill. First, it only applies to people within 15 yards. A lot of the time, that's not you. It only applies to physical attackers, but that's cool. Assume you're in a melee DPS group. It adds 45-57 damage to the next physical attack. Let's assume it's 57 to all 4 people. That's 228 extra damage. That 228 extra damage cost you 60 focus and 10 seconds. My cat, on the other hand, does 10% more damage than your wolf outright, because of the pet family alone. When you add in claw or bite, my pet will easily do more than 228 damage in the 10 seconds it takes you to be able to use another howl.

Ravager, Cat, or Raptor. They're all solid choices. Ravagers do slightly more DPS because Gore is better than Claw, but it's not by such a margin that I'd kick a hunter who brought a cat or a raptor. Windserpents are the best choice if you have GftT and 30%+ crit. If you don't have those stats, they'll be beaten out by the previous three choices.

If you have an elemental shaman and an enhancement shaman in your raid and you use a wind serpent you clearly are a dickhead.

Wind Serpents eat Stormstrikes
    And I bet that an elemental shaman adds a lot more raid-dps by eating the stormstrikes than your pet adds by being a wind serpent instead of a ravager.