Thread: Hunter Arena

Hunter Arena

So yeah, I pretty much epic failed at s3, only ended up with 2 pieces of gear (there were some circumstances that lead to that, but still pretty bad) and I'd like to make it go a bit better in s4.

Link to my armory profile:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ther&n=Vandark

My goal is by the end of the first 2 weeks of s4 to have 3/5 merc, 2/5 venge, both 1h Hunter Axes with 30int on em, Merc Crossbow

But now I need to figure out a team. I'd like to do 3v3, because 2v2s often rely very heavily on one person and I'd rather it be spread out a bit. I know Nihilum rocked Druid Disc Hunter, and that Druid Hunter Lock is quite good, and that Hunter Mage Druid works sometimes as well. My question though is what is the BEST (and preferably easiest learning curve) for a Hunter 3v3? I'd really like to get at least Brutal weapon this time, and so I'm willing to put the time into the games, I just want to know whats my best shot at getting it.

Atm I am a BM Battleground-type build that is more for fun that full arenas, but I havent really speced the bm/MM/sv spec that most hunters use when 2v2 with a healer, so any spec advice would be appreciated too.

And as a side note, if youre going to come in and go 'lol arenas are easy 2k is so easy you must just suck' then GTFO and STFU because thats not helping anything, its just wasting space on the page.

Re: Hunter Arena

Brutal weapons are PR 2000 in season 4.

There is no best team, some will do better against other setups. If RPM is still dominant in s4 (im sure it will), find a setup that can beat that, and you will do good.

id hang out on the arena junkies and elitist jerks forum, and watch lots of videos. Hunter is a hard class to play in arena.

Brutal weapons are 2050, and i hate playing arena as a hunter i much perfer rogues. You just need to stay gocused and have a lot of patience and communication with ur DRUID partner.

I did rather nice with a hunter/lock/druid set up, but that was s2. s3 I went to a friends team. But give that set up a try.

greenmasheen

i dont understand why hunters do so poorly in arena... they have mail armor, a good amount of hp, spell pushback, CC ability and kite ability, a pet and an enrage + pet stun.

Deleted

Get a druid and go 2on2. It doesn't rely on just one of you, but both. It is pretty much easiest setup to get high as hunter if you ask me.

But if you really insist on 3on3, there are few nice setups. Druid Priest Hunter is amazing against RMP (And there are loads of these nowadays), and it can also take the popular dual melee combos. Then there is Paladin Hunter Warrior, relies more on nuke. If you like long games, or well you will get those with the first combo too, Druid Hunter Warlock. Also seen Restoshaman 2x BM hunter break 2k, it's insane nukage again. The beauty of hunter in 3v3 is that pretty much all the setups can take RMP on. Double melees will be pain in the ass tho if you decide to go DHWlock setup.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmasheen
    i dont understand why hunters do so poorly in arena... they have mail armor, a good amount of hp, spell pushback, CC ability and kite ability, a pet and an enrage + pet stun.
    Talking about this famous 41/41/41 hunter?

greenmasheen

edit, i was referring to the fact that hunters are supposedly under represented in arena.

Deleted

what other tree has a pet stun and enrage... oh wait its gotta be BM
    3 min cooldown tho, same kiting abilities as fucking warrior/rogue, unable to get quickly back on target if he LoS's around pillar but has to chase him "manually", every god damn class has spell pushback, unless you mean interrupt (scatter/silence shot) which are only available to MM hunters, so means no enrage/pet stun, traps are shitty CC considering any half decent rogue and cloak them away.

But anyway, the biggest downfall is the fact how easy their damage is to avoid. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to stun a hunter or LoS him. It just takes twice the effort to stay on target and keep DPS up on hunter as it takes on many other DPS classes.

Because my "kite ability" is either:
    Concussive Shot: Three second duration, not at all useful.
    Wing Clip: Using this means I'm already in melee, which means I already have hamstring/crippling on me, and this does me no good.
    Frost Trap: Same issues as Wing Clip

15 second intercept and 30 second shadowstep cooldowns means I'm never at range long enough.

As far as my "good amount of hp" goes, nothing about hunters except Endurance in BM (5%) or Survivalist (10%) is special.

CC ability: Freezing Trap. This ability is fantastic. It's everything I ever wanted in a CC for a ranged class.
    [/sarcasm]

Spell Pushback doesn't help me in arena. Also: I myself am affected by spell pushback. This hurts quite a bit.

If you plan on doing 3v3, I'd advise against running a druid priest hunter because it relies a ton on the personal skill of the hunter since he's the only "real" dps.

greenmasheen

now i understand why people say that it takes much more skill to be good at a hunter. you get a good assortment of abilities and it seems 90% of hunters dont bother using them.

btw, hunters can spell pushback from ranged whereas melee do it from melee. its annoying on a mage when that happens.

hunter lock priest! ftw vipersting, mana drain, mana burn. a mana reliant teams worst nightmare. +2pets and enough CC.

I will try to give you some guidelines and tips, first of all for 2v2 with a healer its extreemly important that your spec is MM due to Improved Stings and Scatter shot,
    silencing shot isent going to hurt you either. I would reccomend you something like this; http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=cV0MZVVmovzhhstMhhrz , im sure there are better MM specs out there, but it covers the basics..

Now, its very important that you get the Scorpid pet and stack your pet up with as much nature resistance you can get for it.

So, what you should do now is learn something about /focus, get a focus frame, learn how to shot viper sting at your focus, this will make everything much easier for you. Because what most healers (druids) do is they will line of sight you until you are really preoccupied, then come out to throw some HoTs at their dps, and simply go back to LoS. But with the focus frame and /Cast viper sting [focus:target] or whatever that macro is, you will get them close to everytime..

Always have your pet on their healer, call it back to you if the healer is going on a rampage with your pet..

Play with a druid 2v2, Cyclone lasts 6 secounds on the first cast, learn how to time it so that you can load a aimed shot that will land at the secound cyclone expires..

Aswell to this, make sure that you (when its needed) use Frost trap (the one that lays ice on the ground) so that if they try to catch the druid he/she can kite them around the pillar with ease...

I know this is probably getting way to long but, Imp viper sting on every CD, frost trap's close to pillars, scattershot for every trap (so they cant avoid it), time aimed shot with cyclone, etc etc..

Dont know if this helps or if you didnt know this already but this is the basic stuff you need to know to succeed atleast good luck in season 4!

restokin from grimbatol o/
    Well raise up our glasses against evil forces, singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses ;D

in 2V2 restodruid is the way to go.

I've had been searching for one all season in S3, always being stuck at 1620-1700 with a restoshaman or disc priest.
    When I finally found an uterly bored restodruid, I went arena with him and it was easymode untill 1820. Go figure.

I always love those posts like this
    these people have no clue and often make me laugh ^^
    My Rogue
    altoholic since 2000 (Diablo II release)

Deleted

now i understand why people say that it takes much more skill to be good at a hunter. you get a good assortment of abilities and it seems 90% of hunters dont bother using them.

btw, hunters can spell pushback from ranged whereas melee do it from melee. its annoying on a mage when that happens.
    Ah you're a mage, that explains. You play the one single class hunters can actually fuck up quite well in arena. No wonder you're pissed son.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz
    Ah you're a mage, that explains. You play the one single class hunters can actually fuck up quite well in arena. No wonder you're pissed son.
    QFT
    My Rogue
    altoholic since 2000 (Diablo II release)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayur
    I'd like to do 3v3, because 2v2s often rely very heavily on one person and I'd rather it be spread out a bit.

first of all, i suggest a change of attitude. I'm no pro hunter, but managed 1900 last season in 2v2. I don't believe 3v3 + is any easier. If you cant rely on 1 partner in 2v2, how do you rely on 2 partners in 3v3??! To me, it doesn't make any sense.

Though the tactics are different, some general principles dont change. I suggest you work out 2v2 to a decent rating first (1700 is good start, which could be hard in first 4-6 weeks of s4).

Playing a hunter with healer is skill challenging because the mentality in arena is completely different to what you do in BG or duels for example. Whilst other classes can draw similar skills from their regular pvp experience, as a hunter you have to learn many new tactics, that you would not use at all in previous non-arena play.

I heavily suggest www.arenajunkies.com

things to bear in mind when playing with a healer:

- avoid mana drain and taking damage by using LOS and slowing opponents. you hate ppl that LOS abuse u? actually u should be LOS abusing them
    - always keep viper sting up whenever CD is ready
    - dont let them kill your pet by keeping it in LOS of heals
    - generally dont be eager to damage, if you are going to sacrifice yourself. you have a healer, this isnt 1v1 dmg race
    - wear and tear your opponents down, whilst conserving ur team's mana by not taking dmg and then proceed to win.

things to bear in mind when playing twin dps:

---- now this is hard! hunters are not the natrual partner for a twin dps setup due to no spammable or lack of ranged CC ----
    i partnered a rogue to 1900, but i dont know if other combos are possible. a restokin is certainly possible, but that's more of a healer combo. an ele shaman is also very good combo.

- communication and knowing when to switch targets is so important. usually u will open on a target A, and A will run and survive like hell, whilst B takes u 2 down. Switching to B, whilst A is running away is critical. the 2 of you can burst anyone in the open and unprepared to take damage, down in a flash if done right.

- survival: knowing when to Pillar and bandage or just when to let ur partner solo a bit is important. this is more of an instinct thing, cant really be described clearly.