How many is too many UI mods and macros?

I used to use a lot of UI mods when I raided, Pitbull, Bongos, MSBT, BigWigs, Omen, XLoot, etc...and tried to macro just about everything.

Since I've been Arena-ing, I slowly cut out them out - there's no need. Not that they can't be put to effective use - but they are far from necessary, in my opinion.

I only use a few combat macros - one is an Auto-Sap macro, though I have a normal Sap ability bound right next to it, a Hemo macro that also contains a /startattack and finally a Deadly Throw macro. I'm sure you can find hundreds of Rogue macros - like Super Prep macros, /stopattack+Vanish macros, restealth Hemo macros etc...I think it's too much. I also have a focus frame macro which sets my target as focus and if I don't have a target, clears it.

The same goes for add-ons. The only add-ons I use now are Proximo, FocusFrame and OmniCC. Well, I still have AtlasLoot and RatingBuster, but those aren't combat. The default UI is quite refreshing.

The only other thing I've been considering is moving my player/target frames to a stacked position closer to middle left.

Do you all run a lot of add-ons and macros? Do you think they really help?

I think people get pretty wrapped up in how their UI looks, which is fine, but has very little to do with the functionality and the information it displays. Not to mention stability.

Re: How many is too many UI mods and macros?

I keep it simple.

The life of a healer...Grid + mouseover casts.
    ;D

On topic i dont use many addons just a few to scale down the normal things to get more room to pewpew ppl.

But on the other hand i am very intrested in what ur so called auto sap macro is xD my friend is trying to find that one for a long time now so :P

To Scarzy, http://www.arenajunkies.com/macros/rogue/ - this will cover any macros you need

I would say the needed addons for arena, if oyu plan to do it seriously are a good clear UF, customize to your liking (I would chekc the Post your UI thread, has some good layouts), Proximo, Afflicted, Spell Alert Action bar addon and a map 1 too, I would also recommend a combat timer like Natur or Sorren Timers, its important to be able to work well with your partner, and for both of you to be well informed with whats happening.

Macros I would go with Hemo Auto Attack, Auto Sap, MouseOver Blind with /s warning, and ShS Kick/Sap/blind on your Focus frame macros can be great too

There are other addons worth getting, let allow you to track your partners CDs and other things, but Proximo, Spell Alert and Afflicted will cover most of this

Might of missed somehting as I was tired when i posted this and my 1st attempted got deleted as my log in timed out :'( lol
    GL

Here, I'll provide several variations:
    #showtooltip Sap
    /console targetNearestDistance 10.000000
    /targetenemy [noharm,dead]
    /console targetNearestDistance 41.000000
    /cast [harm,nodead] Sap

A somewhat simpler version:
    #showtooltip
    /cleartarget
    /targetenemy
    /cast Sap

Add these lines if you want it to focus, too:
    #showtooltip Sap
    /console targetNearestDistance 10.000000
    /targetenemy [noharm,dead]
    /console targetNearestDistance 41.000000
    /cast [harm,nodead] Sap
    /focus [harm,nodead] target
    /clearfocus [target=focus,dead]

If I would only play arena I wouldn't need that many mods but I don't just play arena. I solo farm, I play bg's, I do instances and raids occasionally, I level alts, ...

i've got a few mods for each of these so in the end you do end up with a fair few addons.