Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Holy Pally - Sheath of Light vs. Kings

Quote Originally Posted by froop

You make it sound like Kings would be the only talent they would pick up from the Prot tree. I'm not saying conviction is bad but there is plenty of useful stuff in the Prot tree that is going to help out the raid and the indivual Paladin.
    The only actually useful talents for a Holy Paladin from the Prot tree is Divine Guardian, and to a lesser extent improved devotion aura. I say this because anticipation is a wash, since you can get the exact same damage reduction from deflection if you want it, and Improved Rightous Fury will not be able to be kept on in every encounter, or many for all we know. The reason Guardian's favor is also less useful in wotlk is because aggro will 'apperently' no longer be an issue. This means as long as your dps is not specifically trying to cause high aggro then you wont have to bubble taunt as often, therefore making this talent less than desireable in wotlk.

Moving on, I believe the only real reason a holy paladin should spec into prot is for the "Oh shit" Divine Guardian talent. Admitadly, it is fantastic. But keep in mind that a minimum 17 talents into another tree is a lot for our new bloated trees for something like an "Oh shit" button.

I am not convinced about Improved Devotion aura from a healing point of view, since you wont be within range of the tanks anyway, and 3% more healing on ranged dps is undeniably small, since you always have to downrank your heals on their low HP asses anyway.

All in all, ret offers more whether it is simply conviction or if SoL fits your fancy more than BoL. If you are the one poor bastard that has to spec kings because your guild doesnt have any Prot Pallys, well shit happens.

Been playing around with the talents today, and thinking realistically with the info we have....The +5 spell crit in ret renders speccing prot for kings totally pointless. The +3% healing on Devo is nowhere near attractive enough to tempt me down there....You do the math and work out how much 3% healing gives u in hps over 5% crit..

Gossip from ptr says sheath is actually pretty bad for holy, doesent stack and takes some bugged ass coeficcient in working out the heals.

Beacon has already been proclaimed "worst heal evar" but i really think we all need to take a look at it in raids at 80. The wording of the spell is incredibly vague..."the target becoes a beacon" does this mean we can pop on bosses? Even if you cant melee are always bunched on tbc fights....

Just my thoughts:>

pve retdins will not take kings without gimping. anything from divine strength in the prot tree is a waiste of talent points for retdins. With the buff of the retri tree there are way better things to invest in then kings for a raiding retdin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabs
    Been playing around with the talents today, and thinking realistically with the info we have....The +5 spell crit in ret renders speccing prot for kings totally pointless. The +3% healing on Devo is nowhere near attractive enough to tempt me down there....You do the math and work out how much 3% healing gives u in hps over 5% crit..

Gossip from ptr says sheath is actually pretty bad for holy, doesent stack and takes some bugged ass coeficcient in working out the heals.

Beacon has already been proclaimed "worst heal evar" but i really think we all need to take a look at it in raids at 80. The wording of the spell is incredibly vague..."the target becoes a beacon" does this mean we can pop on bosses? Even if you cant melee are always bunched on tbc fights....

Just my thoughts:>
    It's easy to understand the logic behind Improved Devotion aura, I personally am not keen on losing all the things in Ret for it, but here's the REAL math.

It's not as simple as 3% > 5% In a 10 man raid, you will have 2-3 healers. Now, 5% more crit does not equate 5% more healing, because you have to factor in that many critical heals simply end up as over heal, therefore reducing the total healing gained from 5% crit. Even more so, Imp devotion aura also directly benefits the other 2-3 healers in your 10 man raid. 6%-9% plus healing to the raid gains an average of 7.5% bonus raid healing.

As you can most likely assume, 25 man raids will see an even greater benefit from this talent, having more healers.

That is the logic behind having this talent. The logic against this talent is that most likely in 10 man raids, and certainly in 25 man raids, is that you will already have a Prot paladin with this talent, therefore making the total bonus healing from this talent 0%.

Yes, I did just contradict myself. All I have managed to prove here, is that just like kings, the need for this talent is situational, but more beneficial if needed.

As a summary, just remember that not everything is set in stone, so dont think your spec will be the best in every situation.

P.S. Everyone, let's not be lazy and go do some dailies incase we need to respec.

- And always remember to Pew Pew Moar.

i'd take sheath of light
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by melko
    i'd take sheath of light
    Seriously, why did you necro this?

Pop, lock, 'n drop this topic.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

fail necro is fail :<

10+ Year Old Account

that guy has necrod several pages in the last couple mins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

more generic QQ about how thread was dead and now makes no sense just to cause more people to reply and keep the thread going
    Waiting on Cata
    SCII: Naret
    WoW: Naret, Destromath US