Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: best 10-man setup in wotlk

Blizzard wont change the way 10 man instances work in WotLK, so here is my lineup.
    (seems I actually missed more changes than I thought since I stopped playing in March. See the post below for corrections, It's really helpful)

Feral/Prot-Pala/Def-Warrior/DK--------------Maintank
    Resto Druid--------------------------------Healer (Imp. ToL Aura)
    Hunter (Survival/BM)-----------------------DPS (Surv: Hunting Party! <-imba)
    Deathknight/Fury/Ret.Pala------------------DPS (DK OT)
    Melee-Shammy/Rogue/Feral (cat)-----------DPS (Feral OT)

Moonkin-----------------------------------DPS (Aura)
    Ele.Shammy-------------------------------DPS (Totem)
    Mage/Shadowpriest------------------------DPS (Mana-Battery/Int,Food)
    Warlock (Destro/DoT)----------------------DPS (no love for gayguards)
    Holy-Priest/Resto-Shammy-----------------Healer (G-Spirit,CoH vs. Spirit Link&Earth-Shield)

=========================
    Explanation
    =========================

Maintank:
    Any Tank with decent def. gear and def. spec will do. Take what you get and stick to it.
    If you decide to take a Fuzzy Wuzzy Feral look to it that he also has decent cat dps gear
    for some encounters might be like Shade of Aran and Netherspite. The other tank classes don't need extra dps gear, their spec wont allow them to deal damage.

Healers:
    Resto Druid is not an absolute "must-have" but definitely the best class/spec for the slot in the tank/melee group because they will need more healing than the ranged group and Improved ToL Aura would give you ca. 300 +Heal with level 70 gear. Imagine what it will be when you hit 80 and get T7.

Holy-Priests and Resto-Shammy are both pretty imba. I prefer the priests tough. They really have ALL the tools to get the job done.

DPS Grp1:
    Let's make this short. Survivals are elite. Period. In WotLK you can drink only ONE potion per fight. So Hunting Party gives Grp1 all the synergies they need. +2% Mana, +10 energy, +10 runic power and +4 rage EXTRA EVERY 8 SECONDS. You can't beat that. Beastmasters are "ok" ... but as always pretty much self-serving (No synergies except miserly 3% +dmg). Marksman are a No-No!

Melees are a bit tricky. You have to choose between Bashor Shammy and Kitty (Windfury&AP or Crit&Heal) because Cats don't profit from windfury you should not force them into the same group. Just think of the other melee classes. It would not be fair for Fury/Retri/DKs and Rogues to NOT get into the group at all because their slots are taken by two classes who are unable to use ALL their synergies.

DPS Grp2:
    Let's make this short again. Moonkins got too much love in WotLK, it's like all the devs where on extacy. But that's a good thing, every spec should have their moment of glory. In BC all they got was spatter in the face. Now one just wants to hug them and never let go again. Here is why:

+20%! spell haste every 30 seconds
    +3% Chance to hit for all Melees, Casters and Ranged DPS
    +5% Spellcrit for your party
    +6% Nature and arcane DMG for everyone
    +they still have Tranquility for that WTF-emergency-group heal situations, no other caster dps class can do something like that
    +they still have rebirth, no other caster dps class can do something like that

Nuff said.

Ele Shammy:
    -6% Mana costs by spells and abilities for your party
    +6% all critical strike damage for your party
    +3% Spell Crit
    +3% Spell Hit

For the Shadowpriest/Mage and the DoT-Lock/Destro-Lock decision I really can't say much. They all profit from one another in some way. But I think Shadowpriest + DoT-Lock or Firemage + Firedestro would get the most of it.

The End.

(No love for (*cough*) Bacon-Palas though.)

Few comments:
    Quote Originally Posted by riddie
    *snip*
    Maintank:
    Any Tank with decent def. gear and def. spec will do. Take what you get and stick to it.
    If you decide to take a Fuzzy Wuzzy Feral look to it that he also has decent cat gear
    for some encounters might be like Shade of Aran and Netherspite. The other tank classes don't need extra dps gear, their spec wont allow them to deal damage.
    Then they should have even better DPS gear imo. Besides, DK seems pretty offensive in tank-style and both Warrior and Paladin are getting more damage-scaling rather then more innate threat crap.

Healers:
    Resto Druid is not an absolute "must-have" but definitely the best class/spec for the slot in the tank/melee group because they will need more healing than the ranged group and Improved ToL Aura would give you ca. 300 +Heal with level 70 gear. Imagine what it will be when you hit 80 and get T7.
    ToL works raid-wide in WLK.

Holy-Priests and Resto-Shammy are both pretty imba. I prefer the priests tough. They really have ALL the tools to get the job done.
    I still see CH & ES the best 10-man overall healing spells, but then again, I haven't had the opportunity to play a Priest in 10-mans myself. But with your crit group setup, all those talents in Resto will make the sham extremely powerful (25% armor on target, he gets mana shield proc, 60% of healing done to raid member in need)

DPS Grp1:
    Let's make this short. Survivals are elite. Period. In WotLK you can drink only ONE potion per fight. So Hunting Party gives Grp1 all the synergies they need. +2% Mana, +10 energy, +10 runic power and +4 rage EXTRA EVERY 8 SECONDS. You can't beat that. Beastmasters are "ok" ... but as always pretty much self-serving (No synergies except miserly 3% +dmg). Marksman are a No-No!
    More every 10 seconds actually, but your point is made, mana power batteries FTW!!

Melees are a bit tricky. You have to choose between Bashor Shammy and Kitty (Windfury&AP or Crit&Heal) because Cats don't profit from windfury you should not force them into the same group. Just think of the other melee classes. It would not be fair for Fury/Retri/DKs and Rogues to NOT get into the group at all because their slots are taken by two classes who are unable to use ALL their synergies.
    Cats will profit from (raid-wide) Windfury because it's getting changed to 16% base and 20% talented haste increase. Imo I'ld go for a furry tank with a retridin (112 base dmg and 2% dmg & 3% haste on a single aura? Yes please!!) and Enh Sham or DK if OT is needed.

DPS Grp2:
    Let's make this short again. Moonkins got too much love in WotLK, it's like all the devs where on extacy. But that's a good thing, every spec should have their moment of glory. In BC all they got was spatter in the face. Now one just wants to hug them and never let go again. Here is why:

+20%! spell haste every 30 seconds
    +3% Chance to hit for all Melees, Casters and Ranged DPS
    +5% Spellcrit for your party
    +6% Nature and arcane DMG for everyone
    +they still have Tranquility for that WTF-emergency-group heal situations, no other caster dps class can do something like that
    +they still have rebirth, no other caster dps class can do something like that

Nuff said.

Ele Shammy:
    -6% Mana costs by spells and abilities for your party
    +6% all critical strike damage for your party
    +3% Spell Crit
    +3% Spell Hit

For the Shadowpriest/Mage and the DoT-Lock/Destro-Lock decision I really can't say much. They all profit from one another in some way. But I think Shadowpriest + DoT-Lock or Firemage + Firedestro would get the most of it.
    With both Ele Sham and boomkin I suggest a Frostfire Mage for imba crit dmg scaling (200% dmg crits and 80% extra as Ignite <insert Homerdrool>). Shadowpriest vs Warlock is kinda 50/50 for me, extra regen might not be needed with mana spring and -6% from ele sham, but a shad priest does bring 5% extra dmg without having to sacrifice his Curse of Agony/Doom for it.

The End.

(No love for (*cough*) Bacon-Palas though.)
    No salv, no paladin-need. Sad but true

Although in the end, any combo of 2 tanks, 2-3 healers, 2 melee and 3-4 casters with enough synergy and regen is possible

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Guran
    No salv, no paladin-need. Sad but true
    Judgement of Wisdom (and maybe light) will have permanent uptime with range/duration increases. Depending on how mana consumption fares, they might be a necessity for casters (difficult to know at the moment how much mana regen will be needed).

You will be able to run the 10-mans with almost ANY setup !

Yes, some setups will cause more synergy, (like 3 hunters, enh shaman and feral druid), but those will cause some major loot issues ! Guess those 3 hunters want the same ranged weapon now do they ??

You want versatility. There are 9 classes, bring one of each and then one more! Very important that your 10-man group is versatile, that they have the loot for their "offspec" and are prepared to switch around to that offspec if needed.

Setup is not so important.
    Just bring 1 MT and one OT that can DPS aswell, a feral druid is bound to be very good, or a dps warrior, they are supposed to be able to do awsome TPS in WOTLK aswell.
    Then bring 2 healers, preferrably add a shadow priest in their group for heal intensive fights.
    And fill the rest with random dps, but rather not too many of the same category ofcourse.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by SadWarrior
    World of casual craft will use these setups in 10 mans:
    Warrior - Tank
    DK - Tank
    Paladin - Healer
    Druid - Healer
    Priest - Healer
    Shaman - Healer
    Hunter - DPS
    Rogue - DPS
    Warlock - DPS
    Mage - Food
    this illustrates my quick point, which is: there will be 10 classes in WOTLK so take 1 of each? .. a class for every situation

2 non retarded tanks

2 nonretarded healers

6 dpsers
    Once upon a midnight dreary
    While i pron surfed, weak and weary
    Over many a site of ' hot xxx galore'.
    "'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"
    Quoth the server, 404.

killing a new raid boss is like having multiple orgasms only better.

There is no "best" set-up. It all depends on how well you work together. Though If I Had to choose..
    Group1:
    Prot Warrior
    Prot Paladin
    Rogue
    Warlock
    Hunter

Group2:
    Resto Shaman
    Holy Paladin
    Mage
    Moonkin
    Shadow Priest

Everyone has there own preference though

My preferred setup (varies though, 15ish man guild)

Prot Paladin (MT/OT/Blessings)
    Feral Druid (MT/OT)
    Resto Druid (ToL/BR)
    Deathknight (OT/DPS)
    Hunter (MD/CC)

Shadow Priest (Regen/CC/Buff)
    Resto Shaman (Totems/Shield)
    Balance Druid (Aura/Swarm/BR)
    Warlock (SS/CC)
    Mage (CC/Buff/Food)

Please remember that druids also get a normal res like all the other classes with res abilities in Wrath

i play moonkin so its fun to see so much ppl suggesting moonkin but i think ppl are overrating them :-/

yes i saw the talents :P

Quote Originally Posted by nexonion
    i play moonkin so its fun to see so much ppl suggesting moonkin but i think ppl are overrating them :-/

yes i saw the talents :P
    SCH!! :O It's good that they thing sooo good about us moonkins can't wait until it says "LF Moonkin DPS last spot blablabla got tanks and healers" in chat =D

Anyway my quicky list: (no this is not thought through :O)

GRP 1

Moonkin (duhh)
    Ele shammy (moonkin+eleshammy=win)
    Spriest (regen ftw)
    Affli-warlock (nerf)
    Resto druid (BR/innervate)

GRP 2

Prot warrior (MT)
    Prot paladin (MT/OT)
    Feral druid (OT/dps+aura thingy)
    Resto shaman (totems + love)
    Survival huntah (huntah parteh ftw + cc)

To save the redundancy, I'll just say ditto to the "2 tank, 3 healers, 5 dps" generality.

But I do enjoy that so many people are specifically naming druids as preferred, regardless of spec. I think I'll be making my druid my main in WotLK (shaman now), so the desire to have moonkin/feral/resto is very encouraging.

Playing feral druid at the moment, with some minor raiding experience as resto aswell, It will be a very popular class now that we can res at full time too

best 10-man setup? well thats not that hard... basicly 1 of each class.
    im thinking.

1 warrior tank.
    1 death knight, paladin or druid offtank.
    2/3 (probably 3 at the start. then thin it out to 2 when peoples gear starts picking up.)healers either paladin, shaman, druid or priest. not 2 or more of the same and not 1 of them the same as the offtank, that would break the "1 of each class"
    fill the rest up with DPS of the remaining classes that arent already in your party and your al ready to go.

however. there will be the idealist groups. mine basicly consist of.

group 1.
    warrior main tank
    feral druid offtank
    enhancement shaman
    a hunter (doesnt matter witch spec al seem valid for group utilety in WotLK)
    rogue

group 2.
    mage (any spec. basicly comes down to pumping out magic DPS no matter what spec they are)
    priest, prefer holy/disc specced for raid healing.
    holy paladin/resto shaman for focused healing/raid healing.
    warlock (again any spec is wanted. there main goal is DPS)
    ¿¿¿
    this last slot can be filled up with pretty much any caster. a healer if the healers are a bit low on gear, this will probably be at the start of level 80 content since people are still figuring things out.
    or this place could be given to pretty much any caster. thoug a moonkin or elemental shaman would be a nice group buff, or a shadow priest for a higher mana income.

group 1
    Enhance shaman
    ms war
    fury war
    rogue
    feral druid

group 2
    prot war

warlock
    mage

holy priest
    holy paladin

can switch a dps warrior for a hunter

Deleted

Imo its easy:
    Group 1:
    Deathknight(tank)
    Rogue
    Warrior(tank)
    Hunter
    Shaman(enhancement)

Group 2:
    Paladin(healer)
    Priest(shadow)
    Warlock
    Mage
    Druid (resto)

I know it looks weird. Its based on doing a lot of dps, since obviously the faster a mob dies, the less healing is needed. Also you got all classes, so slot of cc is avaloable too. And 2backup healers in the few places where 2 aint enough. Also more dps for the overall raid, since most classes have some sort of debuff

Let's stack groups shall we? =)

Group 1
    Retribution Paladin
    Enhancement Shaman
    Death Knight DPS (Blood)
    Feral Druid (Tank)
    Protection Warrior

Group 2
    Holy Paladin
    Restoration Shaman
    Destruction Warlock
    Fire Mage
    Moonkin Druid

Talk about crit-tastic.

Sorry Hunters/Priests/Rogues, this here raid is about versatility and synergy, not raw stats.

I may be wrong, but I just don't think it's going to matter much anymore, outside of archetype.

Sweet x) shadow priests get their revenge! this time it will be the hunters in the healer group!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNbFYSXON6Q

My suggestion is have people who are not just good at their class but also good with their professions. If they can offer more than just the ability to heal and do damage than their alot more useful in a raid situation. Here is my idea of a good raid group. The switches will be people who will hold duel roles depending on situations and will be switching if they are needed in a different field ie healing or off tanking.

Main Tank = Warrior = Blacksmith weapons/miner
    Off Tank = Rogue = Goblin Engineer/miner
    Off Tank = Death Knight = Inscription/herbalist
    Healer = Shaman = Leatherworker/skinner
    Healer = Priest = Alchemist/herbalist
    DPS = Warlock = Tailor/enchanter
    DPS = Mage = Alchemist/tailor
    Switch = Druid = Goblin Engineer/enchanter
    Switch = Paladin = Blacksmith armor/miner
    Switch = Druid = leatherworker/skinner

Raid leaders that think i'll be willing to sacrafice my top BM damage and go survival for Hunting party will be sadly mistaken.