Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Resisting Thunderstorm

Anyone got a beta key? we know you're too cool to post here, but if you could read this, that would be nice. My question is on the resist of TS.
    -Can a hunter that is Feigning still be launched? yes, no, or when not resisted?
    -Ice blocked mage? (ice block while in air will prevent all fall damage, right?)
    -Bubbled pally?
    -someone who got feared?
    -freeze trapped?
    -blinded?
    -hexed? (lol, flying priest that's a frog cant cast slow fall...)
    -other cc?

OOO, please reply to things you find out all.

Re: Resisting Thunderstorm

Hex is 80 and I'd imagine all immune effects make you... immune, and the others I'd imagine you can since they will break the CC

Ok, just would like to state right now, "THERE IS NO WAY TO RESIST/BECOME IMMUNE FROM GAME MECHANICS"

With that being said, all people who are immue will only not take damage. The knockback is a game mechanic and will always knock them back, unless they change the entire mechanic of knockback, which I very highly doubt they will because it would mean changing too many things in raid dungeons just because of one spell one class has.
    Shaman PvP Theory
    - "that all sounds nice but i prefer the hide behind a rock and dps method, and if they target you, ghost wolf, and if they start attacking you, bend over and prepare yourself psychologically."
    -Thunderspike

Just had to throw my 2 cents at this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohmar
    The knockback is a game mechanic and will always knock them back, unless they change the entire mechanic of knockback, which I very highly doubt they will because it would mean changing too many things in raid dungeons just because of one spell one class has.
    One spell? One class? ROFL!

Mage: Blast Wave Rank 9
    28% of base mana
    Instant cast 30 sec cooldown
    A wave of flame radiates outward from the caster, damaging all enemies caught within the blast for 1047 to 1233 Fire damage, knocking them back and Dazing them for 6 sec.

Druid: Typhoon Rank 5
    32% of base mana 20 yd range
    Instant cast 20 sec cooldown
    You summon a violent Typhoon that does 1190 Nature damage when in contact with hostile targets, knocking them back 5 yards.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deamon
    Just had to throw my 2 cents at this guy.

One spell? One class? ROFL!

Mage: Blast Wave Rank 9
    28% of base mana
    Instant cast 30 sec cooldown
    A wave of flame radiates outward from the caster, damaging all enemies caught within the blast for 1047 to 1233 Fire damage, knocking them back and Dazing them for 6 sec.

Druid: Typhoon Rank 5
    32% of base mana 20 yd range
    Instant cast 20 sec cooldown
    You summon a violent Typhoon that does 1190 Nature damage when in contact with hostile targets, knocking them back 5 yards.

That is all.
    Didn't see the title of the thread with Typhoon or Mage Blast Wave. I guess you can see more than I can.
    Shaman PvP Theory
    - "that all sounds nice but i prefer the hide behind a rock and dps method, and if they target you, ghost wolf, and if they start attacking you, bend over and prepare yourself psychologically."
    -Thunderspike

Didn't see the title of the thread with Typhoon or Mage Blast Wave. I guess you can see more than I can.
    It's right there around the part where he is talking about the knockback as a general game mechanic, rather then just about 1 spell using that mechanic.

Pheonix

Lol in the future all clases will have a new spell with knockback YUH !!!

Ok, just would like to state right now, "THERE IS NO WAY TO RESIST/BECOME IMMUNE FROM GAME MECHANICS"
    ...which doesn't say anything about how the knockback from a player spell works. Just because a raid boss can knock you back while you're immune to spells doesn't mean a player can. Some bosses can kill you through an immunity shield, or can place debuffs on you that you can't become immune to.

As for players who are trapped, feared, blinded, etc, the damage will simply break the CC and then the player goes flying. Hunters who FD are treated just like anyone else. We can't test Hex yet since you can't get to 80 and actually train it, but there's no reason to assume it wouldn't work together with Thunderstorm. A more sensible combo would be Thunderstorm->Hex though. Gets you the distance you need to safely cast the spell, and then lets you get maximum range and start nuking.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

You have very vague wording. "Game Mechanics" range to anything from spells, coefficients, calculations to the damn physics engine...So you really don't make any sense.

And yes, you can resist the knockback and the damage. (If you want proof, go into TK and fight the Tempest Falconers, they have a knockback that can be resisted)

Edit: Even if you weren't able to resist the knockback and Blizzard wanted you to be able to, they wouldn't have to change the way to works for every mob/boss that has a knockback in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat
    ...which doesn't say anything about how the knockback from a player spell works. Just because a raid boss can knock you back while you're immune to spells doesn't mean a player can. Some bosses can kill you through an immunity shield, or can place debuffs on you that you can't become immune to.

As for players who are trapped, feared, blinded, etc, the damage will simply break the CC and then the player goes flying. Hunters who FD are treated just like anyone else. We can't test Hex yet since you can't get to 80 and actually train it, but there's no reason to assume it wouldn't work together with Thunderstorm. A more sensible combo would be Thunderstorm->Hex though. Gets you the distance you need to safely cast the spell, and then lets you get maximum range and start nuking.
    Well, my thought for the whole hex first and TS later is on a cliff and you're knocking someone off, and you also want to have a chance of them staying cc'd while they go falling, thus a mage couldn't iceblock before hitting ground, priest can't use a feather and slow fall and such (if those are bad examples, sorry. plz correct me). from a strategical point of view in arena and such, yes TS then hex would be smarter.

Can't think of anything that would be more frustrating than getting cc'd and then knocked off a cliff though... and i would expect that the shammy gets the HK on that (thus preventing dur. damage) Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Szeraax
    Well, my thought for the whole hex first and TS later is on a cliff and you're knocking someone off, and you also want to have a chance of them staying cc'd while they go falling, thus a mage couldn't iceblock before hitting ground, priest can't use a feather and slow fall and such (if those are bad examples, sorry. plz correct me).
    The mage can iceblock out of Hex, and if you want to stop the priest from using Levitate then just Flame Shock him, since the DoT will break the slowing effect. Either way, the damage from Thunderstorm is likely to break the Hex.

Can't think of anything that would be more frustrating than getting cc'd and then knocked off a cliff though... and i would expect that the shammy gets the HK on that (thus preventing dur. damage) Thoughts?
    In world PvP they'd get durability loss, since the final hit was from falling damage, just like how you get durability loss if a player takes you down to 1 hp and a frog critter attacks you. In battlegrounds and arenas, you can't get durability loss from dying regardless of how you die. In either case, you get full honor for the kill since you recently caused damage to a player that died. You won't get a killing blow, but it's still a HK.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

15+ Year Old Account

-Can a hunter that is Feigning still be launched? yes, no, or when not resisted?
    -Ice blocked mage? (ice block while in air will prevent all fall damage, right?)
    -Bubbled pally?
    -someone who got feared?
    -freeze trapped?
    -blinded?
    -hexed
    -other cc?
    Im not in beta, but Ill bold what I THINK will/should happen and cross through what I dont expect.

The reason is, in feign death you can take damage still...The damage from Thunderstorm would break CC's/Hex and Ice trap, able to send them flying afterwords...Bubble and Ice block, I just dont see it happenening because theyre already immune to everything else...

And if they arent immune to the throw back in the bubble...I smell a new game involving shaman and pallies >
    "Whether the world's greatest gnats, or the world's greatest heroes, you are still only mortal."
    "You fear that which you cannot control. But can you control your fear?"

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat
    The mage can iceblock out of Hex, and if you want to stop the priest from using Levitate then just Flame Shock him, since the DoT will break the slowing effect. Either way, the damage from Thunderstorm is likely to break the Hex.

In world PvP they'd get durability loss, since the final hit was from falling damage, just like how you get durability loss if a player takes you down to 1 hp and a frog critter attacks you. In battlegrounds and arenas, you can't get durability loss from dying regardless of how you die. In either case, you get full honor for the kill since you recently caused damage to a player that died. You won't get a killing blow, but it's still a HK.
    Thank you for your clarification. I knwo that geneally TS would break them out of Hex, but it does say, "chance to not break when taking damage" or w/e. Also, good call on the flame shock.
    Finally, good to know the ally ele shammies dont be making me have 28g repair bills...

Quote Originally Posted by DaShaman
    Im not in beta, but Ill bold what I THINK will/should happen and cross through what I dont expect.

The reason is, in feign death you can take damage still...The damage from Thunderstorm would break CC's/Hex and Ice trap, able to send them flying afterwords...Bubble and Ice block, I just dont see it happenening because theyre already immune to everything else...

And if they arent immune to the throw back in the bubble...I smell a new game involving shaman and pallies >
    My thinking for feigning hunters was that they have a higher chance of resisting stuff. Which brings up another point: do we get 100% to hit with the damage component? the knockback? neither, or both?

lol if block and bubble aren't immune to the knockback... lol, no bubblehearth for you... PLUS if you time it right before they do hearth and they are near a cliff, their bubble will expire while in air!!

lol

My thinking for feigning hunters was that they have a higher chance of resisting stuff. Which brings up another point: do we get 100% to hit with the damage component? the knockback? neither, or both?

lol if block and bubble aren't immune to the knockback... lol, no bubblehearth for you... PLUS if you time it right before they do hearth and they are near a cliff, their bubble will expire while in air!!

lol
    There is a 99.99% chance that you will not be knocking anyone or anything off any cliffs with TS. You may be able to at first...but it will be nerfed very quickly and never changed back. There are soooo many problems/bugs/exploits that can be related to TS's knockback effect:

1) Knock a mob off a ledge/bridge/cliff in an instance and cause a wipe/evade bug.

2) Completely clearing the EotS flag area with one spell...trivializing the whole point of that capture point. This also pertains to LM in AB...Bridge defense in AV..etc.

3) Exploiting areas by using it on friendly players in duels/mind control exploits.

I posted this in another thread but the reason I am sure it will be changed besides any or all of the above is due to my personal experience with Mind Control in similar situations. Everytime I have been mind controlled by a priest in AV/AB and then ran over to the edge to be tossed to my doom...the mind control has broken instantly and I am left standing on the very very last pixel before falling off. Maybe it has something to do with them trying to "jump" me off the ledge or maybe Blizzard has put up an invisible barrier to break Mind Control if you run into it.

I can foresee all cliff's and ledges having some sort of invisible knockback barrier that a char will hit and then just fall flat on the ground...if not, then I feel sorry for all the upcoming nerfs to a talent that is both highly useful and very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomexus
    There is a 99.99% chance that you will not be knocking anyone or anything off any cliffs with TS. You may be able to at first...but it will be nerfed very quickly and never changed back. There are soooo many problems/bugs/exploits that can be related to TS's knockback effect:

1) Knock a mob off a ledge/bridge/cliff in an instance and cause a wipe/evade bug.

2) Completely clearing the EotS flag area with one spell...trivializing the whole point of that capture point. This also pertains to LM in AB...Bridge defense in AV..etc.

3) Exploiting areas by using it on friendly players in duels/mind control exploits.

I posted this in another thread but the reason I am sure it will be changed besides any or all of the above is due to my personal experience with Mind Control in similar situations. Everytime I have been mind controlled by a priest in AV/AB and then ran over to the edge to be tossed to my doom...the mind control has broken instantly and I am left standing on the very very last pixel before falling off. Maybe it has something to do with them trying to "jump" me off the ledge or maybe Blizzard has put up an invisible barrier to break Mind Control if you run into it.

I can foresee all cliff's and ledges having some sort of invisible knockback barrier that a char will hit and then just fall flat on the ground...if not, then I feel sorry for all the upcoming nerfs to a talent that is both highly useful and very fun.
    I say yes and no. i certainly agree that right now, this talent is a Beast. but in my experience, when i get mc'd, i dont stop at the edge (just realized, they always press jump just before last pixel of cliff...) so i think you're right, there. as far as totally nerfing it, I'm really not sure. the purpose of the 51 point talent was to get ele shammies to stop using NS If they nerf it to nothing, we're going to go back to that and thus have 1 really viable ele build (well, there is also that one that is a ele\enh hybrid that gets up to Mental quickness and can get pretty big too) Its just been my feeling from what i've read and seen that they would rather ele go into enh, or maybe even just to tidal force in resto.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomexus

im not worried about them nerfing it maybe the damage but not the knock back...cause they'd have to nerf typhoon and mages knock back take out MC take out fear ....its an aoe dood just like any other aoeing breaking ur cast while capping a flag in av or ab or eots...

and im pretty sure im gunna be smart enuff to not kick a mob off a ledge especially if i need it for a quest or to farm it. and im pretty sure blizzard has already dealt w/ that in LBRS when priests would just MC mobs off the bridge going into draks room by just making them bug out and respawn

and if u accept a duel w/ a ele shaman and u kno he has Thunderstorm its ur fault if u get knocked off and killed just like it is when you accept one w/ a priest that MC's you off a boat or a cliff into mobs and kills you

so mebbe u guys should stop QQing about ele shamans finally getting somthing good for pvp to help us retaliate against warriors and rogues and start thinkin what else they could have given us that woulda made u Q a lil more such as earthquake or somthing else along those lines

Shaman tosses a DK off a cliff and the DK death grips them mid air and they fall to their doom as well. <3

aw crap, so much for killing DK at there start area

Quote Originally Posted by scett
    aw crap, so much for killing DK at there start area
    nice bump... very discrete way of telling people you still want to know about knockback and iceblock\bubble\others

EDIT: spelling sux