% base mana? what does it mean?

hey guys, as topic says.. what's it mean?? like % mana before all the intellect modification? or AFTER intellect modifications?

also... I heard the itemization in wrath for ret pallies won't have a lot of int, is this true??

ty

Re: % base mana? what does it mean?

% of base means take off all your gear. How much mana do you have? Then 5% of that (or whatever) will be used to cast that spell.

And yes, there will be no INT on ret gear. We will be using DK and Warrior DPS plate, they don't need int, so there wont be any.

It's before intellect stat increases. So mages have around 2000 base mana, which makes a 15% base mana frostbolt cost around 300 mana.

Oh and these are all just estimates, not actual values. =P

Thought though... the stat increases at level up, are they random or set? If random then wont some people have different base mana?

Edit: Apparently I suck at math. =P

Take off all of your equipment and assume the Int stat on your character sheet was at 0, it's solely the mana you obtain from gaining a level... well, aside from any int you gain.

Quote Originally Posted by HolySdrJR
    % of base means take off all your gear. How much mana do you have? Then 5% of that (or whatever) will be used to cast that spell.

And yes, there will be no INT on ret gear. We will be using DK and Warrior DPS plate, they don't need int, so there wont be any.
    Well base mana means if you take off all your gear and remove the int you've from being your lvl / race.
    This user has been permanently banned because the moderator doesn't like warlocks.

Something I've been wondering about it...let's say I have base 1000 mana and a skill costs 15% of base. This equals 150 mana.

Will the tooltip for the spell say "150 mana" or "15% base mana"?

Quote Originally Posted by ishy
    Well base mana means if you take off all your gear and remove the int you've from being your lvl / race.
    Ahh, that answers my question. =D

http://www.wowwiki.com/Base_Mana <-----lvl 70 values, 80 will obviously be a tad higher

take x% of those values and you will get mana cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ishy
    Really? I'll have to double check this, cause I think mine is including my unbuffed int...

ty for the replies, that clears up. I guess judgement of the wise is really eff'd :/

Only in our perspective... Raid wise, it's equal to the buffs a hunter or spriest can give us.

Also, yup, it's w/out the leveling INT boost also, my bad. W/out my gear I have 4311 mana @ lvl 72, SoB takes 453 mana to cast, 14% of 4311 is 604, while 453/.14=3236...

The reason for this is because from what I understand they have wanted to take away downranking or spells. In other words if all Pally Holy Lights cost 15% of the base mana no matter what the rank is then all the ranks will cost the same to use at level 80. You could cast the rank 1 holy light and it will cost the same mana as level 13.

Other than the obvious loss of trying to save mana from downranking, the other downside is you now won't be able to cast a low rank spell to get a special proc or buff before a boss fight without using a lot of mana trying to make it proc.

Actually, with lower ranking spells, it actually costs more. The % of base mana is higher on the lower ranked spells...

Quote Originally Posted by Tur
    Something I've been wondering about it...let's say I have base 1000 mana and a skill costs 15% of base. This equals 150 mana.

Will the tooltip for the spell say "150 mana" or "15% base mana"?
    It will say the actual mana cost of the spell, not the %.

level 80 base mana : 5644
    cost of:

Judgement: 219
    Crusader Strike : 351
    Divine Storm : 878
    Seals: 615
    Holy Light: 1274
    Flash of Light: 307
    Consecration: 966

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Borovir
    The reason for this is because from what I understand they have wanted to take away downranking or spells. In other words if all Pally Holy Lights cost 15% of the base mana no matter what the rank is then all the ranks will cost the same to use at level 80. You could cast the rank 1 holy light and it will cost the same mana as level 13.

actually, the max rank costs less mana then the ranks 1 till max-1. dunno if it is on the beta that way, but a week ago or so there were a few screenshots taken from beta stating this.
    so you only need your max rank because everything else is more expensive AND less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by confessor
    level 80 base mana : 5644
    cost of:

Judgement: 219
    Crusader Strike : 351
    Divine Storm : 878
    Seals: 615
    Holy Light: 1274
    Flash of Light: 307
    Consecration: 966
    wrong. you have to take out your int as well even base. so taking off all your gear dosnt give base. go to your character screen and look at your intelect. it should be somthing around 160 or so. take that away as well.

with 1 intel being 15 mana. and ( assuming ) 160 is your base intel ( will be much higher for a b-elf ) then your base mana should be 3300. now remember this isnt going to be acurate as every class has diffrent intelect but this should give you an idea

take off all you gear

take out all your intelect. the equation is 1 intel - 15 mana.

take the mana you get from intel. example 100 intel - 1500 mana. so if you have 5500 mana with your gear off then you would have 4000 BASE mana.

Level 60 base was around 1500

Level 70 around 2500 (according to WoWWiki)

So it can be assumed Level 80 will be around 3500 base mana.

And yes it is true, the highest rank of spell will be cheaper than the lower ranks, exactly how much i'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by meliancill
    wrong. you have to take out your int as well even base. so taking off all your gear dosnt give base. go to your character screen and look at your intelect. it should be somthing around 160 or so. take that away as well.

with 1 intel being 15 mana. and ( assuming ) 160 is your base intel ( will be much higher for a b-elf ) then your base mana should be 3300. now remember this isnt going to be acurate as every class has diffrent intelect but this should give you an idea

take off all you gear

take out all your intelect. the equation is 1 intel - 15 mana.

take the mana you get from intel. example 100 intel - 1500 mana. so if you have 5500 mana with your gear off then you would have 4000 BASE mana.

Uh, I don't really care what my "real" base mana is, these are all costs directly from the Beta. OP was asking what the spell descriptions would say. Gave examples.