Keeping Sacred Shield up all the time.

Originally I felt that Sacred Shield (SS) shouldn't be kept up all the time as the mana cost would be too much of a burden, at least in terms of fine tuning efficiency (especially in mana sensitive raid bosses). But coming from the angle that Illumination gives back mana from crits, Sacred Shield essentially pays for itself pretty quickly.

Assuming that SS increases total FoL crit chance to 80%, and that I basically spam FoL, then I can expect to receive 80%*60% = 48% of mana back every heal. SS only costs 12% base mana, compared to the 7% of FoL, so basically it will pay for itself within 3-4 heals. That will take up about 6 seconds of constant spam, but more lie 10 seconds of casual spam. Everything for the next 20 seconds are a bonus, and pretty nice ones at that.

So thats just a simple analysis. I haven't really considered if I would need the mana used by FoL crits to maintain my mana pool, but I like the implications for spamming both FoL and SS (every 30 secs). Do you think its worth doing this strat over using Holy Shock regularly?

Re: Keeping Sacred Shield up all the time.

No thoughts?

I think the proc for 50% crit chance on FoL cast is applied when the buff to absorb 500 damage pops up. As in it only triggers an extra 50% every 6 secs (for 1 FoL).

but essentially, its suggesting a crit FoL heal hopefully every 6 secs. Add the difference when not using SS and see the mana difference. Sadly not on PTR nor beta but I'm sure someone will test it to see if the mana cost is replenished through FoL critting.

So IMO, its just a boost to FoL spamm effeciency, something I was rather hoping would fade in wotlk :P

Armoury Link

Nil desperandum! Always follow the Light

The 50% crit bonus on FoL is indeed when the shield procs from getting hit. I don't think it's a way to get a better efficiency with your mana. It costs ~520 mana to cast, you gain ~180 mana back from a FoL crit, thus costing you ~125 mana. With 3 FoL crits, you're gonna have repayed the cost for SS, but are you going to crit the 3 heals you're gonna be able to cast in those 6 second (might be 4 with enough haste), odds say you should crit 2 at least, but you can roll a dice and get 1s twice in a row. One thing about SS tho, it negates 500 damage on the target, making it somewhat useful for 5-mans, since the tanks won't get attacked for 5-6k+, it's about 1/4 of a non crit FoL with 1500 spellpower. Also, the way to make FoL spamming efficient was never to stack crit, but to stack MP5.

Yeah currently atm, the 50% increase to crit is kind of useless, the best way to fix this is to have the amount absorbed higher as 500 damage will be very fast in WOTLK (won't even get the flash off I guarantee that) so this really only is helpful for solo'ing atm.

I would say let this be appllied to the 30 second buff itself but that would probably be too OP.

Basically, it needs to be changed as it's not very helpful and 500 damage every 6 seconds can add up but really the extra bonus of Sacred Shield while looking good on paper is really useless.

i say mod the damage absorb by 30% of spell power and get rid of the 50% crit

From a retri's perspective i'd deffo keep it up for the insta flash of lights from Art of War procs, perhaps weave it in with hammer of justice stuns to get some extra healing power. Alternatively it could be changed to affect holy shock to some extent.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by naypalmacus
    I think the proc for 50% crit chance on FoL cast is applied when the buff to absorb 500 damage pops up. As in it only triggers an extra 50% every 6 secs (for 1 FoL).

but essentially, its suggesting a crit FoL heal hopefully every 6 secs. Add the difference when not using SS and see the mana difference. Sadly not on PTR nor beta but I'm sure someone will test it to see if the mana cost is replenished through FoL critting.

So IMO, its just a boost to FoL spamm effeciency, something I was rather hoping would fade in wotlk :P
    Ok, so maybe I was being a bit overzealous. It requires the tank to be hit first, but then we get 6 seconds of FoL crits right? Not just one crit, and then the buff is gone. So there'll be a second or 2 when theres no crit buff on, and if the tank dodges.... well crap lol. I still think theres room for SS to pay for itself within 10 seconds.

So someone mentioned that FoL mana efficiency comes from Mp5 and not crit, but thats with a crit rating of around 25-30%. At 80%, its surely a different story. Even if the 80% crit is every 2nd heal or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadibo
    Who cares... Really...

As a holy paladin I have desided to quit WOW. Its obvious that absolutly zero effort has been putting into the spec. And that is after MULTIPLE topics beeing raised for MONTHS aobut the spec.

No thx BLizzard. You are obviously adding new healing class soon and turning holy tree into nothingness while retris get more and more healing ability and dmg.

Have fun. Im off to WAR
    This post is both new and interesting.

Who cares... Really...

As a holy paladin I have desided to quit WOW. Its obvious that absolutly zero effort has been putting into the spec. And that is after MULTIPLE topics beeing raised for MONTHS aobut the spec.

No thx BLizzard. You are obviously adding new healing class soon and turning holy tree into nothingness while retris get more and more healing ability and dmg.

Have fun. Im off to WAR
    Have fun in WAR (or at least try to...) and see you again in 2 months when WotLK comes :-)

You know people will stick to wow for the most part. You know it and that's why you try to convince people that a lot of players are going to leave WoW for WAR hoping that WAR will gain a critical mass fast. Well, let's just say WAR is not good enough to kill WoW.

PS : the only game that will kill WoW is Blizzard's next mmo....

yiptastic

It should add some sort of heal bonus for holy shock and divine storm.

The damage absorption should stay, but it should scale more with spell power, so ret and prot can't exploit it.

Who cares. Im playing MMos to have fun and meet new ppl. Playing my holy pala for 3 years now and seeing the ignorance from BLizzard yet again is enough for me. I no longer enjoy progressing as such cause I can see how the spec is ignored.

So off to new game with new goals and new ppl. Sacred shield build to help rets get free mana is nothing that will change that.
    Why are you still here?

@Fadibo:

Futurama

Bender: I know there's a place for people like me, with new ideas! There has to be!

Professor: Fine, get going.

Bender: Oh, I'm going. And you're gonna be all, "Where's Bender? I miss Bender!"

Professor: We won't know that until you leave.

Bender: Oh, I'm leaving!

Professor: There's the door...

Bender: .....................I'll be good. :-[

You could take some lessons from this genius script. No one cares if you're leaving, just do it.

/facepalm Of course people you know will care...no one on a random forum cares. It's like going into McDonald's and telling them you'll never come in there again...they don't give a shit. They have billions of customers. Going to your friend's house and telling them you'll never see them again, however, will get you some results.

What i mean is... stop having a tantrum about leaving, and just do it. If you're actually playing WAR and dont care anymore, then wtf r u still doing in this post