Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Will moonkin tanking be impossible in WotLK?

I've never understood why some people rezz months old threads. I also don't understand why people can't read last posts dates to realized a thread has risen from the dead......I'm going to go hide now, I'm afraid zombie threads have a thirst for brains. ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberia
    Tankin in moonkin was, will be, and is never possible.
    You dont have leather with spelldmg and +defense, no dodge, no parry, no other mitigation (lets not mention block), nothing other than a minimal armor mitigation which doesnt make a difference good enough.
    In pvp, resto druids, locks, rogues, even mages can tank a whole lot better.
    In pve its really pointless even to try.
    lol, obviously you have never heard of a Panzerkin. It is a Thunder Chicken tank, look it up on youtube. One tanked gruul before the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberia
    Tankin in moonkin was, will be, and is never possible.
    You dont have leather with spelldmg and +defense, no dodge, no parry, no other mitigation (lets not mention block), nothing other than a minimal armor mitigation which doesnt make a difference good enough.
    In pvp, resto druids, locks, rogues, even mages can tank a whole lot better.
    In pve its really pointless even to try.
    Moonkin CAN and HAS sucessfully tanked in bc, like Gruul and prince for instance, most of the heroics too, so shush now

The only additional survability a feral bear could get that boomkins couldn't was 20% stam and 10% armor. The 10% armor was 8 points in so most "panzerkins" were able to purchase it. Now that there are more talents to increase survability in the feral tree, and with the game being balanced based on the bears getting those talents, it does make it much more difficult for panzerkins to tank. I am sure someone will go out there crazy enough to prove that it still can be done but it will be even less effective than before.

Back in the day we didn't have a prot pally for AOE tanking, we brought a boomkin, it worked wonderfully. I hope that with the changes to aoe tanking, the fact that 4 classes can tank now, and the introduction to the duel talents will hopefully bring enough tanks to where you don't need to boomkin tank. However I will say nothing made me more happy than boomkin tanking Prince and Solarion adds, well except for drain tanking some heroics on my warlock. :P

Quote Originally Posted by junirel

Actually if u're NE moonkin, u can shadowmeld every two min to drop aggro... u could also shift cat and cower (though a waster of mana but technically you can)
    Shadowmeld does no threat reduction. As soon as u come out of shadowmeld your threat is exactly where you left it.

moonkin tanking was never a serious spec or play style. it was something bored, overgeared players did to try and challenge themselves.

Am big fan of Moonkin tanking

As its the first days of WoTLK atm it probably good to mention that all my Panzerkin stuff is done pre patch (= better armour and mana from melee hits)

A mixed my T5 tanking gear with my T5 balance gear and ended up with gear that had about 800spell dmg, crit immunity and if i recall right about 25+ armour with about 12k health... With that gear i have tanked about half of the BC heroics, few bosses in Kara and one (dont recall which one, i was drunk) from ZA cause our tank DC:after the pull. For mana gain i had the SSC feral staff with + spell dmg enchant. Gave me about 1k mana per hit. kinda nice imho.

Id like to state that Moonkin tanking isnt hard for the moonkin, its hard for the group. Things need to be done a bit differently. Id say that depending of the encounter (and of the group ofc) some bosses were way easyer to do with panzerkin than with regular tank... One needs to be adept with fast and well timed form switching for taunting and few other neat trick but yeah, Id say give it a go if you at all feell like it.

I have always filled my bag space with gear for all 3 druid specs. Relatively easy to agure fairly nice gear for your chosen ofspecs if you just use itemrack (or something similar) and ratingbuster ( or something alike) and compare drops, revards and loot from AH. Got my inital tanking and healing gear for BC while leveling. Basicly the same gear that full tank/healer would have got, minus few blue quest rewards wher you have to chose between tanking/other gear. I play Balance for main.

I will do this again with WotLK thou its now probably a bit harder to tank as Owl ill atleast try to play around with the moonkin tanking. After all, its good fun... for me atleast

One small story to be told in here. Group was looking for a tank to do daily HC and i knew the healer well, i had tanked as a bear in front of her in the past. Others i had never heard of. I asked the healer if she could heal me trough in Boomkin and she gave me thumbs up. The whining on the /p was hilarious when i put down the raid marks for CC and stuff, went Owl and started tanking ... In the end we cleared the Instance and the group told me that they had never cleared it that fast(4xdps+ healer is usually fast ) and it was good fun. Was fun to mee too... to prove what druid can be pend to do, if played right and supported by a proper group.

One last note. If your going to do Moonkin tanking, learn to tank as bear first! Dont expect to just go plasting your group trough given task... it doesnt work that way. You have to make do without few of the crusial mechanics that a proper tanks have. Oh.. and tanking as Owl still means that youll be on "all four" from time to time

As conclusion, i have to agree with Katholic, not on the bored part but with the fact that Owl tank has to be "over geared" to do as good as "gear on par with the challenge" tank would do.

Peace out, and have fun in WotLK

Sk
    Ipit, Finnish speaking 25 raiding guild on Lightbringer-EU is recruiting. Check our website for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by elapadrinar
    Shadowmeld does no threat reduction. As soon as u come out of shadowmeld your threat is exactly where you left it.
    Did the not add something to it that if you dropped to "lowest" threat in raid/group it would wipe your threat or something to that effect? remember reading something about it but cant be sure, im still trying to get used to using the bloody thing when i do pull agro hehe, keep forgetting it a nice fade ability

Quote Originally Posted by Aerv
    Shadowpriest Could tank in WOW Classic :P
    Please don't confuse steal aggro and having a mob smack you around like a red headed step child with tanking. It insults those of us that actually tank.