Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast

Re: Leveling to 80: AE dotting as SL/FG [video]

Just finished up the 70 to 80 grind. Missed server first by about 20 mins (HATE my ISP who had me down for about an hour earlier in the evening) In any case....at 71 went SL/FG and had a blast. Made a slight variant putting 5 to bane later so my instance dps didn't suck. Also by high 70's even w' BT/Sunwell gear mobs are taking longer to die so a quick immolate speeds things along. Group quests, solo'ing, etc was fine. Only replaced one or two minor gear pieces but still have all the same bits. This setup plays almost exactly like an arena SL/SL but you have a felguard and a bit more nuke options. Only times I died is when I did something truly foolish and recovered from so many "oops" it wasn't funny.

A bit brainless to play but for endless hours of tab dotting, very gear forgiving, and live through anything I couldn't complain.

If you are not using it blow the 50g and give it a shot. Levels fast...like don't bother training and keep questing/grinding fast. Would I take it to naxx? No - but it will get you to 80 so you can pick a spec you like and get ready faster... Could also PVP decently.

User has been banned permanently for trolling.

I've leveled up to 77 and a half so far with this spec, and it's by far the best to level with, at least with my Sunwell/t6 gear. Mobs die with your 3 instant dots (Felguard and shadowflame just make it faster), SL keeps you healed, and Howl of Terror to mitigate damage, why even bother with Haunt? It would just slow things down.

Also, a Felguard is awesome DPS off your GCD, especially when empowered.

If the 3 dots combined didn't kill mobs, then I'd see the need for a different spec.

Single target dps does suck tho, I find myself skipping over mobs if they are by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Reubicant
    Single target dps does suck tho, I find myself skipping over mobs if they are by themselves.
    It has the nice side effect though of encouraging you to pull 6 when you only need 1 .

I found myself doing the same thing.

Wanted 2 ask about places where u can pull like 10-15 mobs, and where the spawn rate is also high, like with Trolls on which 1st 80th was rised, but they were nerfed

Quote Originally Posted by Gurur
    Wanted 2 ask about places where u can pull like 10-15 mobs, and where the spawn rate is also high, like with Trolls on which 1st 80th was rised, but they were nerfed
    No idea since I never did mob-grinding. I used these tactics while doing quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficit

I won't die.

Quote me.

I will not die leveling from 70 to 80.

Ever.

Original poster, I wish you the best, perhaps I'm wrong, who knows, let's just enjoy WotLK shall we?
    Anyone who specifies they won't die is bound to... I've half a mind to CT to that server to point and laugh

Just to add as well, I respecced to this after this entire thread was posted in my guild's forums to test it against prelogged dmg meters and similar, and it literally blew my deep affliction spec out of the water once I worked out a suitable rotation for dungeon runs on it. I was definitely impressed, and have made sure my guild knows this

This spec is amazing... IMO.
    Definitely worthwhile when you can solo 7-8 guys at once...
    NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    War doesn't decide who's right, It decides who's left.
    FOR PONY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuketeacup
    This spec is amazing... IMO.
    Definitely worthwhile when you can solo 7-8 guys at once...
    NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    I hit 80 yesterday, was SL/FG from like 72 on. It's an amazing spec. Soloed every group quest I came across too.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We don't think burst is a problem in PvP right now.

gear or approx spell/hit/haste?
    some sort of pet trinket (black book)?

Its a good alternative spec...but you're making easy stuff hard.

First of all, DoT's in a full affliction spec http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IbxrburhoVVRGst0xf0c

are a LOT stronger than SL/FG. Not only you dont have SM, which by the way is 4/5 available at 79...when you basically have already leveled up.

DoTs get buffed also by Contagion, Everlasting Affliction, Malediction, Death's Embrace and Shadow Embrace

You have 3 ways to gain back mana: DP, LT and Drain soul. You gain back life with Haunt, DL and SL. Why spend 10 seconds to bandage while you can almost the same health back with haunt?

You have instant HoT which is A LOT better than a 2.5 HoT. I rarely use HoT because I get so much heath back i dont need to do it. Whenever I NEED to do it, I need it INSTANT.

You say that Affliction has a lot of useless talents....Demonology is the EPITOME of useless talents. Every point besides DK only improves your Demon.

So you have a lot weaker DoTs, less dots, no amplifiy curse, less ways to get mana and health back, no imp HoT, no Pandemic, no grim reach, no nightfall which procs all the time with Glyph of corruption, just to get a Felguard in a gimped Demo tree???

I would go with this, which is a much more straightforward spec.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IbxrburhoVVRGst0xf0c as you see you can easily include demonic aegis

Read the full thread, and possibly even watch the linked video; it explains why your "stronger dots" in an affliction tree actually result in a weaker leveling spec. (hint: why would you want to tie yourself down to two dots with cast-times when you can instead spec FG for mana/time-free damage?)

Affliction's talents are useless for leveling because they build towards nothing useful for leveling. Demo's are useless but are worth taking because they build towards FG.

No one in their right mind is using this at 80, but what works for leveling is often very different than what you want in raids.

leveling is a combination of killing speed + downtime. With affliction you have the same killing speed as SM/FG + a lot better downtime since you have numerous ways to gain back health+mana.

EVEY talent of affliction improves you DoT's thus your DPS, thus your leveling speed. Only Haunt and UA are occasionally used...like when you want more debuffs to drain tank...and thats 2 talent points. EVERY other skill is a good investment. Besides UA and Haunt is easily cast with the new knockback rules.

Lets not forget that 70% of northrend mobs are undead...so the crap about using HoT and bandaging doesnt work. Also 2.5 seconds of damage till you get off that HoT is probably more dmg than you will heal with bandage.

(Hint why use 41 useless talents to get a gimped pet (no DT, DE) and get weaker DoTs, Less ways to get back mana and health, no imp HoT).

I saw the video...and I have to say that not only i do the same, but I pull INFINITE mobs as I want to, with ZERO downtime an NO need to bandage. I dont even need to use HoT most of the time.

My time as playing a lock has taught me one thing: as long as you've got siphon life leveling is a total joke. Normally I level as affliction but I decided to go felguard/SL this time around . . . nothing has really changed. Zero down time, never have to bandage/eat/drink, chain pulling unlimited mobs.

I can see no real disadvantage to using this spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroumfaki
    leveling is a combination of killing speed + downtime. With affliction you have the same killing speed as SM/FG + a lot better downtime since you have numerous ways to gain back health+mana.

EVEY talent of affliction improves you DoT's thus your DPS, thus your leveling speed. Only Haunt and UA are occasionally used...like when you want more debuffs to drain tank...and thats 2 talent points. EVERY other skill is a good investment. Besides UA and Haunt is easily cast with the new knockback rules.

Lets not forget that 70% of northrend mobs are undead...so the crap about using HoT and bandaging doesnt work. Also 2.5 seconds of damage till you get off that HoT is probably more dmg than you will heal with bandage.

(Hint why use 41 useless talents to get a gimped pet (no DT, DE) and get weaker DoTs, Less ways to get back mana and health, no imp HoT).

I saw the video...and I have to say that not only i do the same, but I pull INFINITE mobs as I want to, with ZERO downtime an NO need to bandage. I dont even need to use HoT most of the time.
    I leveled extensively as full affliction before I tried a hybrid spec and all I can say is: you aren't killing as fast based on my experience, or that of others who have posted here. Affliction's lack of mobility is just one of a number of problems hurting deep affliction in terms of pure solo leveling speed (and look again at the talent trees, your dots aren't that much weaker. Remember: haunt isn't on multiple targets.)

It sounds like you haven't even tried the alternative. I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroumfaki

1) Demonic Knowledge. Dots are fine DPS.

2) His DPS is amazing compared to whatever shit you use as full Aff.

3) Can't solo Elites as full aff.

4) DE? Don't make me laugh. That talent is almost as bad as Imp. Enslave Demon.

5) You don't need dark pact, if i'm low i just dot 3 mobs, fear them, tap and drain. When you get 50-60% of your HP back in 5 seconds you don't need dark pact.

6) A huge thing you are missing is SOUL LINK. Aff locks take 20% more damage by default. This damage is completely freely reduced as SL/FG because of Fel Synergy. 20% less damage is 20% less healing you have to get back to cover your life taps, which means 20% less "downtime" (if it existed).

7) again, pet dps + demonic knowledge more than makes up for aff talents. And they don't ALL increase dot damage, or skills that you will use while leveling.

what are the best glyphs to go with as this spec? Im trying to decide between glyph of the fg..glyph of corruption of glyph of siphon life

Quote Originally Posted by Caios
    what are the best glyphs to go with as this spec? Im trying to decide between glyph of the fg..glyph of corruption of glyph of siphon life
    fg and siphon life

The first level 80 in the world, not the first WARLOCK, the first 80, was my build. (Full Affliction)

I died once. From a fall. FALL DEATH.

Once. Leveling to 80.

Deficit - Runetotem

Ive used this spec since 72 and it has been amazing. Chain pulls, no breaks, only cast time being drain life occasionally. This is much better than afflction bc your pet takes up some dmg with SL but gets healed through it from the talent that heals them for 15% of the dmg you deal.
    “The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” [Albert Einstein]