15+ Year Old Account

Enough quest rewards in northrend for a decent tanking set?

I recently discovered the joys of the Tankadin on the PTR (coming from Holy ) but found it kinda hard to put together a decent tank type set. So I figure i'm gonna switch to a tank once the 3.0 patch hits and let him sit till i can get some tanking gear from northrend.

The question is will I be able to get a decent amount of tank gear from quest rewards? This is before I start running instances because i'd like to be a somewhat prepared tank.

Re: Enough quest rewards in northrend for a decent tanking set?

Most of the plate rewards from quests so far that I've seen have been DPS.

You'll get a greater variety of tanking items from instances. Azjol-Nerub has a couple decent blues, as does Ahn'Ket.

Haven't done Drak'Tharon yet, but will probably tonight.

I would try and pickup a decent Shield and Tanking MH weapon (I'm currently using the swiftsteel Bludgeon from BT Trash. But the sword of Anetheron would work. If your not raiding those instances look to get the Suneater from heroic Mech or something along those lines.)

You want a *fast* weapon with as high DPS as you can get. You will be relying on SoV since it's a guaranteed stack now and HoR refreshes it. NugRunning addon will keep tabs on the ticker to help with refreshing it if needed.

Believe me, threat is not a problem anymore. Though by the time you hit 75ish, you may want to swap some stuff around since your def will drop as well as get some hit since HoR misses on the 2nd & 3rd Mob sometimes.

Also, before the brewfest goes away, pickup the BV trinket from the summoned boss. It's a good aggro gen item for when you get ShotR

leveling there hardly ever were tank items on the way.
    because basicly we don't need them. if there's enough sta and str on an item and the instance is not wastly superior to your level you hardly ever get critted and with the right talent specc you will have no problems tanking it (just like it was before hitting 60/70)
    and in the 80 instances and the heroics there seems to be a wast enough amount of tanking items
    Greetings Undead. Wonderful day to be alive, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    I recently discovered the joys of the Tankadin on the PTR (coming from Holy ) but found it kinda hard to put together a decent tank type set. So I figure i'm gonna switch to a tank once the 3.0 patch hits and let him sit till i can get some tanking gear from northrend.

The question is will I be able to get a decent amount of tank gear from quest rewards? This is before I start running instances because i'd like to be a somewhat prepared tank.
    Also in addition to what Wyrdone said, a lot of the paladins that went to tanking at 60/61 when BC hit didn't have any tanking weapons to go on remember because Pre-BC it wasnt a viable spec. I am sure their will be instances at lower levels that will provide gear you can tank with. And most of the instances, not raids, but regular instances will have some sort of tank gear and they usually are not that hard to complete. I am sure you will be fine but as Wyrdone said I would suggest picking up either a warrior tank weapon in BT/Hyjal or Sun Eater/King's Defender.