Poll: What is the "solution" to PVP balancing?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

PVE/PVP - A square peg for a round hole

For the longest time now I've believed that Blizzard has been trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole by trying to make classes equally efficient in PVE and PVP at the same time. I understand that the intent is to allow players to enjoy all aspects of the game, but is this accomplished by constantly tweeking character talents, gear and game mechanics (like penetration, resilience and hit rating)? I personally don't think it is possible to "balance" the classes for PVE while maintaining a balance with PVP. They are simply two totally different play styles with different needs. A destruction warlock is great for raiding dps, but terrible in PVP. A protection warrior is great for tanking that main boss, but simply a big stone in PVP. By giving a warrior more PVP talents and abilities does that make him less efficient in a raid?

Re: PVE/PVP - A square peg for a round hole

Interested in feedback on this

True perfect balance is impossible in this style of game.

The devs know this and they have said as much. Honestly, they understand that they can never achieve perfect balance. Even Warhammer with its lofty goals is hopelessly unbalanced...far more then Warcraft is at this moment in time.

What Blizzard needs to do...and I think they may be starting to work towards is push the game in a direction where the PvP oriented activities work to either hide the unbalance or eclipse it with the fun of playing the content.

This is one of the problems of the current arena system. It is fun...but it also highlights the inherit "balance" issues of particular classes to a point where it eclipses the fun. Of course many will argue against or for this. This is just my general impression.

World PvP is fun because its about groups fighting other groups without the walls and structure of arenas. However, World pvp does not offer the rewards of the more balance-issue revealing medium of arena combat. Of course World PvP also calls into the question of server population balance.

There will always be a question of balance in any game like this. The question is can the publisher eclipse the balance problem with the quality of fun and gameplay. At least for me they still manage that.

they should get rid of resilance.. people who have the drive to spend 6 days a week raiding should get the best gear and should have the advantage to use it to kill their enemies!!!

if you wanna give pvp'rs some sort of gear just give them more HP to balance the less damage.. that way a persons skill can still > the gear if played right and the better geared players can still do higher dmg and get those lucky crits in their fights sometimes..

wtb old pre bc days when everything was fun :/

Quote Originally Posted by infinitis
    they should get rid of resilance.. people who have the drive to spend 6 days a week raiding should get the best gear and should have the advantage to use it to kill their enemies!!!

if you wanna give pvp'rs some sort of gear just give them more HP to balance the less damage.. that way a persons skill can still > the gear if played right and the better geared players can still do higher dmg and get those lucky crits in their fights sometimes..

wtb old pre bc days when everything was fun :/
    It's a game. Which costs money. Paid by the subscribers.
    I pay as much as you do each month, but having a 2-year old son doesn't really allow me to go raiding 6 days a week, whereas arena and BG's, and the occasional heroics are quite doable.
    Why should I automatically be worse off, PvP-wise, than you?

You already have far superior PvE gear from your raiding, something I can never compete with.
    If you want to PvP, we're on equal terms, since both of us have the same opportunities to do BG's and/or arenas.

There's a PvP and a PvE side to this game. You want to excel in both, but only invest time in one of them?
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't either.

I CAN'T excel in PvE, because my everyday life doesn't allow that kind of time investment.
    But I CAN excel in PvP, due to the short-term nature of that kind of gameplay.
    If you want to excel in PvP too, you'll just have to stick to it, and invest more time/effort in BG's/Arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by blupp74
    There's a PvP and a PvE side to this game. You want to excel in both, but only invest time in one of them?
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't work that way, and it shouldn't either.
    Im sorry to say this... But PvP gear will drop off instance bosses...

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox
    Well that is new to me :-\

The only thing that i wish blizz would do, is add a pvp aura in BG's/Arena or when flagged. The Aura will modify your spells/AP/ect ect so that classes that need a buff can get them with out making them to OP in PVE, or Nerfs to stop them from being to OP,but not hurting them in PVE

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph
    it already does...
    Dont make it worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox
    Well, aside from the occasional cloak with resilience, I haven't really seen anything of that kind yet.

My point still stands though.

PvE gear is superior to PvP gear, for PvE content. Which is where it's meant to be used.
    PvP gear is superior to PvE gear, for PvP content. Which is where it's meant to be used.

So people who whine about PvE gear being inferior to PvP gear in PvP content...don't?
    Get out there and play BG's and arenas for the PvP gear, like the rest of us.
    No one's stopping you but you.

Seen the new wintergrasp raid boss yet?

The game was built for PvE. Starting from that you can't make it PvP balanced without overhauling a lot of things.