Thread: Pure Bear spec?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Pure Bear spec?

each to their own i guess, back when i was actually still raiding my 48/13 spec suited me well (i picked up SF and NI on top of the 44).

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...00000000000000

or even

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...00000000000000

MS is not worth it really, 5 points for 4% more damage? (Removed what I said here as I realised how stupid it was while taking a dump)

With expertise rife we may be able to hit 13.75% against parries and thus able to take points out of PP and IW and dump them into MS, until that I figure MS is no go.

Why is no one taking Primal Tenacity...
    One of those times that your MT gets flattened is when he is stunned and has no dodge active. 30% less damage would be critical at those times.

Also, Swipe +30% damage to me sounds absolutely critical for AOE tanking.

And finally, not getting the + expertise ability is just dumb.

That's so ridiculously situational and only ever really a trash thing except for 1 boss in TBC and even then there is no excuse for them to die, we have barkskin now if the shit hits the fan. Go ahead and spend your 3 points in something that's useful less than 5% of the time but i'm not thanks.

It's 10 expertise, not 10 expertise rating ! So at level 17 it's equal to 160 expertise rating.

Okay, I need a little clarification on ooc mechanics(I'm still a bit foggy on how all they changed it).

Is it a flat percentage proc rate or a proc per minute?

Does using Maul often hurt your chances of proccing OOC because it consumes an autoattack?

On another note, I compared some of the talents that people had been leaving out of specs for a more accurate basis on what we're picking and choosing.

Some want to go into master shapeshifter, but sacrifice some of the feral tree to do so. So I've compared a few of the feral talents to Master shapeshifter based upon what percentage of your damage would have to come from the spell that is buffed. Please keep in mind that in some cases this is comparing 3 points spent to 5, but in most cases, I think the 3 points will deliver more. I've also included what damage buff you'd see from a few other talents.

• 20% of your damage would have to come from maul before being talented for it for Rend and Tear to be better than master shapeshifter(20% x 20% = 4% boost). If you're talented for Rend and tear already, 23.1%(24%/104%) of your damage should be coming from maul for this to be better than going into master shapeshifter.
    • 40% of your damage would come from critical strikes(a 25% crit strike chance if all your abilities were capable of critting) For predatory instincts to be better than master shapeshifter(40% x 10% =4%). This should most likely never be dropped to go into master shapeshifter, if bear crit chance remains consistent with what it has been in the past.
    • 13.3% of your damage would have to come from swipe for Feral Instinct to be greater than master shapeshifter. This seems like it may be situational to whether you're aoe tanking or boss tanking, though if you were to give this up for master shapeshifter you can only take 2 points out and still be able to get to tier 6 of the feral tree, so you'dhave to find 3 more points elsewhere to finish off master shapeshifter.
    Some flat numbers from talents:
    • If used every cooldown and damage is on average consistent(not spikey), King of the Jungle should provide and overall 2.5%(15% X 10/60) damage boost. Most of the other damage boosting talents seem to beat this one.
    • If the mob you're tanking is capable of dodging and parrying, Primal Precision should provide a >5% damage boost(2.5% off dodge portion of attack table, 2.5% off parries) as well as decrease parry-bomb swing timer resets. For 2 points I see this as a no-brainer unless you start getting so much expertise that you're over the cap(though I'm unsure what the cap is I've heard tanks talk about it).

I really can't see where Master shapeshifter would be worth it unless some of the assumptions I have in my head about the level 80 tanking rotation are wrong.

I just got done laughing at earlier posts in this thread where someone was arguing over "pure" bear spec and how you would have to farm after raiding and so you should put points into shredding attacks.

I can farm faster in bear form now than i could prepatch in cat form lawl

Since im new to forums,first i must say that this tread is really imformative,despite many disagreements here.That was the reason i registered and ill start watching this space from now on.

Alski said
    44/17 isnt a generic feral druid spec. 47/14 or 50/11 is the generic spec for raiding, but i lol at anyone whos feral and puts 3 points into intensity seeing as it has little to no use in almost all raiding situations.
    Well, i couldnt agree more about intensity part.I never had 3/3 intensity,and i MTed every boss wich is not crush capable.Even sometimes when warriors were slacking,we relied on my lucky rolls.Actually my build was always 50/11.And i never had FA either.I had bash thingie,altho its not PvE.And i knew it all the time,ofc.
    Useless on bosses,and most of the trash even.But i found it very usefullin MH,(while my guild was progressing there:stunning Abo than shifting out and thorwing quick decurse on fellow tank before my resto mates even notice it was amazingly fun for me),later even on certain points in BT(very rare tho).

Having 50/11 doesnt necesarally means that FA is the only place where you can put excesive points to.My Brutal Impact was purely for my pesonal fun tho.Its far from mandatory.
    Anyways,my point is that if you need instant rage as feral tank,maybe you should reconsider your playstyle.

As of patch 3.02 BA is gone ofc,and ill still work on few different trees and see what suits best.
    For me its hard to tell whats best purely Bear spec.But i guess untill some point(early 80) Primal Precision will be great,maye even better thatn KotJ.But my point is that in early stages of WOTLK raiding few talents will be necessary,and in later phases we can ditch them easily in favor of others.

Edit:

And yeah ,Logos,nice one,excellent observation.