Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Worried about dual specs!

I enjoy playing paladins. Not ret... not holy... not prot, paladins.
    This is a good player, this is a person who contributes to their raids, and their guild. Now while there is nothing wrong with players who want to do "what they want" , keep this in mind- you are only gimping yourself.

Like the war who refuses to switch to zerker to intercept the mob, who the shadowpreist who refuses to save the tanks life, you simply gimp yourself when you decline take advantage of all the utilities that are available to your class.

again.. nothing wrong with that..

Quote Originally Posted by Zamfix
    Just join a guild that lets you play whatever spec you enjoy. Join a guild with asshole raid leaders and yes they'll force you to respec.
    Problem is that guilds that let you spec anyway you want rarely go anywhere :P

It is a question of balance between what guild/raid needs and what ppl like. So don't get surprised if you find it hard to find a nice guild that is willing to take you as DPS. Few spots available.

If we would let our members spec like they want to -- we would still be around SSC and not in SWP

And IF (I don't beleave in this) every member would spec as good as possible - it would make no difference.
    What we say is: spec like it is best for the raid (no PvP points) - and our officers check out if the skill is OK.
    There are always points which make minor diff from "opti spec" or so.
    We don't care about it - but the main parts of the points must be placed so, that greatest raidsupport is given.

If there is need for some seldom skill (extra heal for Bloodboil or so) - we ask our hybrids to respec or bring in twinks.
    We pay for this - but with dual spec it would be much easier.

The last thing: in our guild YOU choose what's your mainskill.
    If you say - I prefer to tank - you will most of the time tank.
    If you say - I wann do DMG - and there is no need for it in the raid - you may reskill - but stay at home.

It alll starts at recruiting - we recruite a tank because we need one.
    If the player is unhappy - he can change - we ask to wait for if needed till we find another tank. And no one will respec - if there is no need for such a class / spec in the raid.
    They don't because the like to raid - and they know we can't take members to they raid which are not needed.

Ok a few question

1-Is it really coming, I mean do they really gonna do that???
    2-If yes at first question : Is it coming with the next patch or with the expo???
    3-If when u switch spec it's switcihng your bar , do that gonna work with ''Bongos'' or '' Bartender'' anyone know???

Thx for some answer =)

Tanking classes will definitely like this... I know there are times when my warrior will be tanking, but we get to a boss that doesn't need as many tanks as we have... so just flip, and now I'm fury or arms, then when the fight is over... back to prot

First at Evereg; get over it. If you don't want to heal, then don't have healing gear, and when they ask you to heal, just /gquit and QQ somewhere else. If you only want to dps, then play a class that doesn't have a healing option. This is designed for hybrid classes and tanks, who often switch specs depending on fight needs, and not so much for PvE/PvP differences.

@Seph;
    1) yes, this is coming. It was released at blizzcon.
    2) it will not be at patch 3.0.2 (this week), but with either be in the expansion, or the first major patch after that. I don't think it has been tested, though I'm not sure how much testing would be needed for it.
    3) Blizz does not write their game to work with mods. Mods are written to work with the game. When this is released, the mods will shortly come up with something to work with it. Honestly, this is probably the least of the problems involved with this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Most decent raiders have several offspecs ready to go anyway.

Yeah i feel ya. If i was on a raid, and say we had a warrior tank and me (im prot) and we reached a boss that was single tanked, i would have no problem letting him tank it if he didnt have a decent DPS set and i did, or if he didnt have a decent DPS and i had a good healing set or SOMETHING.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Most decent raiders have several offspecs ready to go anyway.

well said

im ret and i always carry heal gear with me. for me this is good news since i like to heal also. only downside is that i use diff binds for each spec and i hate swapping things around in action bars

Quote Originally Posted by Heza
    im ret and i always carry heal gear with me. for me this is good news since i like to heal also. only downside is that i use diff binds for each spec and i hate swapping things around in action bars
    That really is most assacheing thing in respeccing. I hope you could keep your keysetup with the other spec so you just click the anotherspec on swap gear and you are ready to go. Tho im not too sure about the fact that you can swap your spec in the middle of the raid... that really encourages bringing hybrids in the raid a lot more it does favor the "pure dps classes" with only one possible spec and fuction.

As a priest can i go Disc and Spirit buff everyone and my self then spec back holy and do all the bottom of the holy tree stuff Coh and stuff like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Karpalo
    That really is most assacheing thing in respeccing. I hope you could keep your keysetup with the other spec so you just click the anotherspec on swap gear and you are ready to go. Tho im not too sure about the fact that you can swap your spec in the middle of the raid... that really encourages bringing hybrids in the raid a lot more it does favor the "pure dps classes" with only one possible spec and fuction.
    blizz has stated that your keybindings will switch over when you switch specs, they can do that now that they are saving keybindings on teh server side

Quote Originally Posted by ristorilsm
    This is a good player, this is a person who contributes to their raids, and their guild. Now while there is nothing wrong with players who want to do "what they want" , keep this in mind- you are only gimping yourself.

Like the war who refuses to switch to zerker to intercept the mob, who the shadowpreist who refuses to save the tanks life, you simply gimp yourself when you decline take advantage of all the utilities that are available to your class.

again.. nothing wrong with that..
    Man... those examples are SO out of context... I mean... someone that doesn't want to keep respecing for every instance/raid/encounter/trashmobs is so diferent from someone who can't just throw a heal (that he alread has with or without respecing) or stance dance...

So, I'm a Paladin... unfortunatelly, I'm really bad at healing, it's not my thing. I'm very good at Ret and can get the job done as Prot... but since the raid now states that they need me as a healer for this pull, I'm all of sudden a bad player because I suck at healing and "omgz u kan dial wiespec!!11!1!!!" but I prefer not (for healing). You're not hybrid because you can Dual Spec, you're hybrid because you can do things from other trees (altough not as good as them) without respecing into that yourself (or using some kind of mixed spec between 2 or 3 trees).

I would like to use my spec options to do something like "1-prot and 2-pvp", so I can do some pvp (that I like), without %$#%king the guild (and my pocket) 'cause I need to respec tonigh to tank. (i.e. those nights where we're suposed to not have a raid or when we find a group for a much needed instance).

What is weird about all this is that dual-specs (except for 1-PVE/2-PVP) goes kinda against all their changings in tanking (higher DPS for prot speced, DPS warriors with shield slam, more threat in Defensive Stance for all warriors, etc...), in feral "DPS+Tank" (pure tank or pure dps or a lesser mix for old OT duty), in Ret/Prot healing (like Ret with spellpower, spellcrit to actually throw good heals...), DKs with all three specs going for DPS and Tank (diferent ways, but all them can do it) and many others...

Why bother with your OT viability as a DPS warrior if you can just change from DPS to a Main Tank in a second? Or that a Feral Druid can't tank as good as he did pre-WotLK since he speced deep into Cat DPS? Just press the key and get into pure Bear Tank.

Tons of changes in the game are so unecessary now with dual spec option.

I am kind of worried because as a prot paladin I dont want to HAVE to spec Holy as my offspec. I was holy through Vanilla WoW and its just not my cup of tee as it were. I am still a little weary of the "shut up and heal" days of vanilla WoW and don't want this to help bring back that mindset to others.

It's a game.
    Games should be fun.
    If you're in a guild that's forcing you to do things you find not-fun, the fun-ness of the game (and thus, the whole point of playing it in the first place) is gone.

I've never been in big raids, or even seen the inside of places like Black Temple.
    But you know what? The more I hear things like this, the less I want to.

I'll be doing my dual-spec as Retri-PvE and Retri-PvP.
    Sure, I'm not against having a healing gear and throwing it on for the occasional encounter.
    But I'm retri because that's how I WANT to play. If I wanted to be healing most of the time, I'd be specced and geared for healing.

If you play lap-dog to your guild, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Until they get so used to it they take it for granted.
    The possibilities/limitations of each class/spec is up to the player himself to take advantage of/disregard. He's the one paying the monthly fee, after all. To play a game for fun. Not to go to work he doesn't even get paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by christine1000
    Im worried that dual specs will, now more than ever, force us into having healer gear rdy too... I can just imagine raid leaders asking ret paladins to "respec" fast and start healing... Especially since it will be possible without having to actually leave the raid to go respec...

It's not that I dont want to have a healer dual spec rdy and some gear just in case... But I want to play as ret, not half ret, half holy... If I wanted to heal I would spec for it...

And plz dont give me some idiotic comment about how I should reroll class to avoid it... I want to play a pally and thats the way it is...

Thanks alot all ;D
    ...and I am worried about narrowminded people like you always saying "I WANT". why should you help your raid, when you can do dps? because you won't see the encounters nor do any dmg at all, if there is no tank and no healer.
    damage & dps is the last needed for a raid! think about it.

the only problem I see in the dualspecs is, that a lot of ppl simply don't know HOW TO heal. but blizz is even fixing this - no downranking = no thinking, just pressing 1 button (you can even train an ape to do this!).
    i won't rely on one of these dps-bitches only looking on huge crits, to get healed by them. i know enough of you still dealing dmg when half of the raid is killed, because their UI doesn't even has raidframes, or e.g. while being a felragetarget.

I havent read most comments but i am in NO DOUBT that some raid leaders, be it hardcore or whatever, will ask hybrids to have their second spec as healing.

For others (pure dps) this is one of the best changes ive seen in wotlk.

Finally i can pvp/pve anytime i want, with no ridiculous fees.

lovely

Quote Originally Posted by LavaDuck
    Unless the dual-specs are preset, he's going to have a hard time speccing pom-pyro while in combat with you!

They are as far as i can read. You can setup a spec and even key settings aso with it. But i cincerly hope ti can't be used while in combat. It should be a cast that takes 20-30 seconds or so, that way peopel can't just change specs on a whim in pvp.

The whole sense of a guild is that you work together to accomplish things, so the guild leader works for you in getting 24 other people and teaching them the fights, and you work with the guild by helping in any way possible.

The new ret tree looks fun, and I will probably pvp ret, but I have already talked to my guild and they want me prot first spec, holy second spec. I like the guild, I like progressing in raids, thus those will be my specs. I can play all three well enough to hold me own so if it helps the guild progress I will play a spec I dont like as much.

If I am a guild leader in a guild that aims to progress fast then I require almost ever class to have 2 pve specs, all pallies, priests, and shammies will have to have one spec be healing, all warriors, dks and druids will have to have one dps spec (or maybe heal for the druid), mages will most likely have an AOE spec and a single target spec. You just want to use dual spec to as big an advantage as possible.

I see nothing but good things thanks to dual specs. So say your main raiding spec is ret, during the raiding days your sometimes asked to heal as well, so you go ret/holy so that you dont have to be switched out during raids.

Come the weekend, you wanna run instances but there arent any tanks on, you respec your holy slot to tank, now your tank/ret. On monday you either have 2 choices, tell your raid leader your ret/tank and he invites you based on that fact, or you respec your 2nd slot back to holy and do your normal thing.

The only diffrence between the dual spec system and the one we have now is the fact that you've spend a total of 100g respecing over a week instead of hundreds, you've gotten lots more raid time thanks to being able to fill two spec slots, and you dont spend lots of time sitting around in your city of choice because you dont feel like going out and doing something with a sub optimal spec like single target grinding as tank/holy or healing/tanking as ret.

The only problem i see is with hybrids that require a very specific spec to pvp, but for them all that happens is they keep respecing like they have been now, or just tell their raid leaders that they only have 1 spec for pve and you get invited based on that.