Thread: ret heals

ret heals

this has probly been posted alot
    but its just a question... are ret palas rlly suppose to heal that much?
    or is it a bug? cause i cant seem to figure out how a deep talent dps class is suppose to have around 40% crit (healcrit) and heal for around 4000-7000(crit) in dps gear and not manage to get oom

anyway, if it isnt a bug, then id be a sad panda
    i know their burst is gna be nerfed due to the overpowered state palas are in etc, bla bla
    but does their overpowerness go this deep from dpsing to healing and all the way back?
    i dont rlly mind the instant flash of lights, cause they rlly needed something like that

ahwell, im just curious

thx for replies in advance
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Re: ret heals

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    this has probly been posted alot
    but its just a question... are ret palas rlly suppose to heal that much?
    or is it a bug? cause i cant seem to figure out how a deep talent dps class is suppose to have around 40% crit (healcrit) and heal for around 4000-7000(crit) in dps gear and not manage to get oom

anyway, if it isnt a bug, then id be a sad panda
    i know their burst is gna be nerfed due to the overpowered state palas are in etc, bla bla
    but does their overpowerness go this deep from dpsing to healing and all the way back?
    i dont rlly mind the instant flash of lights, cause they rlly needed something like that

ahwell, im just curious

thx for replies in advance
    With the AP->SP conversion my FoL heals me for about 1200, crits for about 2200.
    Without it, it would heal for ~500, crit for ~900.
    So, yeah, that talent is needed.

And we DO go OOM fast, unless we run up and judge every 8 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by blupp74
    With the AP->SP conversion my FoL heals me for about 1200, crits for about 2200.
    Without it, it would heal for ~500, crit for ~900.
    So, yeah, that talent is needed.

And we DO go OOM fast, unless we run up and judge every 8 seconds.
    Yeah he's right, Ret has a smaller mana pool and unless they judge someone to get 33% base mana back they are going to go oom fast. The heals are nice but without Sheath of Light it would be a lot worse.

just cause whenever i go up against a team with a ret pala its not rlly a insta lose anymore, since we most paladins are so overconfident of their overpowered state that they think they can handle everything
    and we abuse that
    but still, if the pala goes off to dps his hart out, and then backs off abit and gets a few heals off, its rlly unexpecting how good they can offheal

like my pala in 3v3 is critting holy light for 7k+ at just random moments when our healer is getting surpressed hard
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Quote Originally Posted by Powell
    just cause whenever i go up against a team with a ret pala its not rlly a insta lose anymore, since we most paladins are so overconfident of their overpowered state that they think they can handle everything
    and we abuse that
    but still, if the pala goes off to dps his hart out, and then backs off abit and gets a few heals off, its rlly unexpecting how good they can offheal

like my pala in 3v3 is critting holy light for 7k+ at just random moments when our healer is getting surpressed hard
    Well, is that a problem for you? Does that feel OP?

We don't have snares (no, really, we don't...I promise), we don't have a distance closer, or spell interrupt.
    What we do have is burst damage, and tools for survivability. Now, burst is already getting nerfed.
    We don't have any means to reduce the effectiveness of healing on our opponents, but we can heal ourselves (and our allies).
    This of course cuts back on our DPS (effectively by 100% while we're healing).

Now, to continue healing, and not have the mana pool empty like my bowels after a bad McDonald's experience, we'd have to judge every other Holy Light. Which of course could be considered DPS, but....no, not really.

It's a trade-off. And due to the lack of some abilities, it's a needed one too.

Quote Originally Posted by blupp74
    Well, is that a problem for you? Does that feel OP?

We don't have snares (no, really, we don't...I promise), we don't have a distance closer, or spell interrupt.
    What we do have is burst damage, and tools for survivability. Now, burst is already getting nerfed.
    We don't have any means to reduce the effectiveness of healing on our opponents, but we can heal ourselves (and our allies).
    This of course cuts back on our DPS (effectively by 100% while we're healing).
    First of all, don't try to tell me that your burst didn't need nerfed. I saw a S2 ret drop a S3 spriest in under 5 seconds in a bg today.
    No distance closer? Try repentance, hammer of justice, your 15% speed talent.
    And the issue with you healing the way you do is not that you shouldn't be able to heal in pvp, it's that in some cases ret pallies have been outhealing holy pallies while both are wearing healing gear.
    80 Rogue - Barristan of Spinebreaker (main)
    70 Warlock - Petyr of Spinebreaker
    70 Druid - Kathrisper of Spinebreaker

It all depends on the situation. These "ret pallies" that are outhealing holy pallies in holy gear are most likely nothing more then hybrid spec going for the crit.

Then again, I can't see a Holy Pally being outhealed by a ret pally once you get to PvE fights where multiple tanks are taking. M'uru would be a perfect example where you can keep two tanks up with only one Heal.

It's about situation. When I am ret, I find the instant FoL is useful, I never run low on mana, not even close. Mana is never an issue. Never. I even had Glyph of FoL because I am holy half of the time and I heal with that cause I like it. It's how I play. It's different. So with that and sheath of light I had two HoTs on me at once. In a raid/party setting, I see no need for healing as a ret pally.

In PvP, it's a whole different story. I don't PvP very much but I can see where it would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Barristan
    First of all, don't try to tell me that your burst didn't need nerfed. I saw a S2 ret drop a S3 spriest in under 5 seconds in a bg today.
    No distance closer? Try repentance, hammer of justice, your 15% speed talent.
    Did our burst need nerfing? Maybe.
    But was it really the burst that killed you?

By distance closer I meant something a little more effective than simply running. Sure, if you're standing right next to me, then my 15% extra speed will keep me close to you without problem. But...what class are you again? And why are you so close if you can't handle it?
    I'm MELEE. It's my job to get close so I can damage you. If you're not melee (still don't know which class you're referring to) you have no business being close to me.
    Repentance is 20 yards. Hammer of Justice is 10 yards. If you're ranged, EVERYTHING you have has atleast 10 more yards range than my longest "distance closer".

I don't know anything about the circumstances during which this aledged paladin killed this aledged priest in under 5 seconds.
    Purely speculating, I would say that
    1) Pala caught priest off-guard
    2) Pala got lucky crits
    3) Pala had Hammer of Justice off CD
    4) Priest didn't trinket
    5) Priest was not at full health
    6) No one else was around to help the priest
    or
    7) All of the above

Because if the priest saw the pala coming, and just stood there, thinking he would win that fight without moving, he was obviously very wrong.
    I wonder how the same priest would deal with an S2 arms warrior? From what I've seen (and experienced first hand, with my so-called OP paladin), those boys can put out some serious hurting. Including of course, but not limited to, that wonderful MS effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Barristan
    And the issue with you healing the way you do is not that you shouldn't be able to heal in pvp, it's that in some cases ret pallies have been outhealing holy pallies while both are wearing healing gear.
    ...eh? How is this relevant? I'd like to see the dps of the retri pala while he's wearing that healing gear...
    This is not a discussion about the flaws of the holy spec...it's the aledged OPness of the retri spec.
    And I can guarantee that in BG's, retri palas aim to hurt, not to mend.