Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Protection paladin FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    i dont know if this has been brought up yet so im going to give it a shot

the old uncrushable mark of 102.4% was and still is important for paladin tanks in the sense its what makes us the best tanking class in the game

the mark of 102.4% was so every hit was either blocked parried dodged or it misses you this makes us the most migitable tanks in WoW also having a huge stamina boost via talents we are good for health and take the least damage with Ardent Defender we are given a second chance which is ideal for slacktard healers also if you check the ammount of damage reduction we have via armour/talents and the +healing we take its amazing that other tanks are even around

+11% healing from protection talents
    im about 64% damage reduction just armour
    +6% righteous fury
    +3% sanc
    +3% shield of the templar
    1.) I hope you are not taking Divinity.
    2.) Most tanks have 65% redux from Armor.
    3.) Most tanks have a talented 8-10% reduced damage benchmark.
    4.) Other classes provide the +3% Reduced Damage from Sanc
    5.) 6+3= 9, which takes us back to point 3.

But yes, the 102.4 is still important for some fights, mostly for Anub in TotGC 25 man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    But yes, the 102.4 is still important for some fights, mostly for Anub in TotGC 25 man.
    Too bad , that you can't count on Holy Shield to reach those 101.6% (they're lvl 82)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    i dont know if this has been brought up yet so im going to give it a shot

the old uncrushable mark of 102.4% was and still is important for paladin tanks in the sense its what makes us the best tanking class in the game
    I'm not sure what you're bringing up. Other then old info as supposed reasons why we're the best and most super overpowered tanks.

Notably, going through your list of stuff that's already givens, I can see that other tanks meet or often exceed many of those stats.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    I'm not sure what you're bringing up. Other then old info as supposed reasons why we're the best and most super overpowered tanks.

Notably, going through your list of stuff that's already givens, I can see that other tanks meet or often exceed many of those stats.
    You do have to take into consideration that some tanks (Read: Druids or DKs) have better +Damage Redux talents.

Other than that, I agree here and with my previous post.

Any idea what I should start going for when building an ICC set?

I have been getting more Block rating / block value (It seems it will be a bit more handy there), and stacking more armor/stam. Anything else I should get?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

10+ Year Old Account

After 4 incompetent tanks this evening... I decided tonight to switch my ret pally prot.

I know the basics of warrior, dk and druid tanking; but zilch about pally frisbee throwing.

I'm looking for guides that show pros and cons of various tank builds for DUNGEON running, not raiding. I know with the above mentioned classes some talents can be left out of a raid build, where you'd be foolish not to have them in a dungeon build.

I'm leveling through Northrend now and something like this would be a massive help for me to make the switch and level the rest of the way prot.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the proverbial "prot tanking infancy"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

Sorry to bring up an old topic but i found this on a google search for prot information so i guess some people are still reading it.

Just a couple of things that could be changed

Once you reach 102.4% combined avoidance you will have reached the block cap ie. you will always dodge, parry or block incoming melee attacks
    yeah having 100% combined block, dodge parry does does not mean one will always happen

if you flip a coin you have 50% chance of getting a head but that doesn't mean if you do it twice you have 50%+50%=100% chance of a head does it

the 102.4% was just a arbitrary value needed to be uncrushable by raid bosses extra avoidance would still help you block dodge and parry more

You either need 490 defense at lvl70 or 540 defense (or 535 in heroic instances) at lvl80 to be uncrittable, or 220.64 resilience. A combination is also possible.
    As there isn't any pvp tanking gear and a tank should never be socketing resilience i dont think its worth mentioning especially as a combination to reach your uncrit cap

Quote Originally Posted by dakarv
    Sorry to bring up an old topic but i found this on a google search for prot information so i guess some people are still reading it.

Just a couple of things that could be changed

yeah having 100% combined block, dodge parry does does not mean one will always happen

if you flip a coin you have 50% chance of getting a head but that doesn't mean if you do it twice you have 50%+50%=100% chance of a head does it

the 102.4% was just a arbitrary value needed to be uncrushable by raid bosses extra avoidance would still help you block dodge and parry more

As there isn't any pvp tanking gear and a tank should never be socketing resilience i dont think its worth mentioning especially as a combination to reach your uncrit cap

Old thread is old.
    Check the useful link sticky for the link to the current FAQ by Offhand.