Consecrate--yay or nay?

I just did Headless Horseman on my level 69 Paladin after the hotfix. It seems that, without using Consecrate, I start the fight at about 4.5k mana and end at about 4.2k mana. With Consecrate, I start at 4.5k and end up around 1.7k. This is using Hammer of Wrath whenever possible, by the way. I don't have the Crusader Strike 20% less mana cost glyph, and I obviously don't have Divine Plea. Does anyone know if, at 80, spamming Consecrate will be worth it?
    Wellfare epics and class homogenization explained(!):
    [blizzquote="Ghostcrawler;http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677864812&pageNo=3&sid=1#51] We agree with Communism.[/blizzquote"]

Re: Consecrate--yay or nay?

I'm finding that useing consecrate with the Improved consecrate glyph is giveing me more dps than devine storm and I'm not going oom nowhere near as fast people might think but instead of useing judgement of light i use wisdom. I can make it with that rotation for over 6 minutes before i switch to seal of wisdom and use devine storm to pull up all my mana before switching back, and still keep a pretty high dps

bump
    [blizzquote="Ghostcrawler;http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=20677864812&pageNo=3&sid=1#51] We agree with Communism.[/blizzquote"]

Consecration (Rank 8)
    22% of Base Mana
    Instant cast 8 sec cooldown
    Consecrates the land beneath the Paladin, doing (904+0.04*SPH+0.04*AP) Holy damage over 8 sec to enemies who enter the area.

With 0 SP and 0 AP, that's 113 dps at level 80.

4394 base mana * 22% = 966.68 mana. So Consecration is fairly close to 1 damage per mana.

The dps and dpm will both increase with SP and AP. Then you have to multiply the dps and dpm by every enemy the Consecration hits.
    ---
    So will spamming Consecration be worth it?
    Single target and you have near full mana- Might as well Consecrate.
    Single target and you are low on mana- Don't Consecrate.
    Single target, but it will die before 8 seconds have passed- Probably shouldn't Consecrate.
    Multiple targets- Should probably Consecrate.

As prot I only use consecrate when tanking multiple targets because without the regen from sanctuary and wisdom I dont have the mana to sustain it constantly. The glyph does help a lot though. On single or 2 or less targets I usually dont because I dont need that much extra threat and I dont often avoid enough attacks to regen the mana spent.

If you dont have enough mana to drop consecrate as prot your either not tanking enough shit or forgetting you have Judgement of Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by mattimaeus
    If you dont have enough mana to drop consecrate as prot your either not tanking enough shit or forgetting you have Judgement of Wisdom
    wrong. And Im talking about spamming consecrate not 'using it a little bit' I use it atleast 1-3 times per pull but I dont keep it down 24/7 if the boss/mob is slow hitting. Things just dont come back fast enough. And that means being a "good" prot paladin means nerfing my TPS/DPS by using seal of wisdom instead of corruption? hah, ok then

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblez
    wrong. And Im talking about spamming consecrate not 'using it a little bit' I use it atleast 1-3 times per pull but I dont keep it down 24/7 if the boss/mob is slow hitting. Things just dont come back fast enough. Not to mention nerfing TPS/DPS by using wisdom instead of corruption....
    I think he meant JUDGEMENT of wisdom..not Seal of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by R0my312
    I think he meant JUDGEMENT of wisdom..not Seal of wisdom
    And yes I know, which now returns less mana and happens less often.

15+ Year Old Account

Now you must make the choice between Divine Storm OR Consecrate if you want to sustain your mana. If it's an AoE based fight, I suppose you might drop CS and just have judge, Divine Storm and Consecration as your rotation. In a normal dps situation the rotation is looking to be Divine Storm, Seal, Judge and CS to sustain mana. If you want to add Consecrate then don't do it every cooldown or you'll run oom real fast.
    Mímir, 100 Night Elf Hunter, Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir
    Now you must make the choice between Divine Storm OR Consecrate if you want to sustain your mana. If it's an AoE based fight, I suppose you might drop CS and just have judge, Divine Storm and Consecration as your rotation. In a normal dps situation the rotation is looking to be Divine Storm, Seal, Judge and CS to sustain mana. If you want to add Consecrate then don't do it every cooldown or you'll run oom real fast.

I tested it.

Consecration works in a Ret Damage build along side Judge and Divine Storm.

But the main thing is, you will have to Keep Divine Plea up to make up for the JoTW nerf. Healing will break this flow.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor

I tested it.

But the main thing is, you will have to Keep Divine Plea up to make up for the JoTW nerf. Healing will break this flow.
    So, at 80, in a ten man raid setting, is it safe to say that a Paladin can last an entire fight spamming Consecrate, DS, CS, and Judgement if Divine Plea is used every time it's up?

Depends on YOUR gear and wether you know how to play the Paladin class.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsicola
    Depends on YOUR gear and wether you know how to play the Paladin class.
    How would it depend on gear if none of it gives intellect?

I really didn't read much of your initial post, but if you are adding in the level 80 no int ret gear, I could come to believe it would be equal throughout the paladins. Except for the fact in a raid type situation with raid buffs and what-not, you would have intellect. Or so I believe they will not nerf the mages buffs. >:X

Quote Originally Posted by nagaluiz
    So, at 80, in a ten man raid setting, is it safe to say that a Paladin can last an entire fight spamming Consecrate, DS, CS, and Judgement if Divine Plea is used every time it's up?
    Yes.
    Iam in full Ret Gear aka no +Intellect aka Warrior Plate

Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthonor

I tested it.

I call it fair.

with JoTW at 33%, there's no reason to use divine plea unless you get massive mana burn. I call it balance when you need to use divine plea to close up your max dps rotations.

as to PvP, I really wish rank 1 consecrate still exists. but for real, you won't be using consecration that often because it breaks CC and repentance. more over, people can just move out of it. In a stun rotation of course, that's a different story, but you will more than likely cast FoL more than consecration. mana burn is being looked at, and devs think it's fair to change it to percentage base. (makes perfect sense!!) and are thinking of buffing judgement of wisdom to fit us low mana lvl users like ret and shammy.

So it might not end up as bad as everyone thinks, both in PvP and PvE.