Protection and me?

Greetings.
    I am a ret paladin.

*waits for the laughing and 'omg, here's another cry' sighs to stop*

Thank you. What I'm here about is that I love playing a Paladin. I'm not terribly big on healing, never really have been. But I have enjoyed tanking on occasion. Now, I know that tanking as a ret isn't exactly true tanking, I have been having fun and have been thinking that I might give true tanking a shot.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...15201433000000

Above is what I was thinking of running. Survivability combined with what should be decent DPS. I'd be using my present gear primarily with the horsemans sword and probably the SSO shield. I know it's not Defense gear, but I don't have that much time to devote to getting a whole new set.

Was just curious as to how well this setup might fair. Thank you in advance for your input, and please keep it constructive.

~ Montoya
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike

Re: Protection and me?

What exactly is the goal of this spec? You mention true tanking, then talk about the dps you could do.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

The goal is, tatatatata, BOTH! :O

I Suggest going full Protection, because once you get Shield of Righteouusness, you will be dishing out even more Damage.
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

tankspot.com

Your "dps" would be higher with HotR and SotT with BV stacking over 5/5 convict + 5/5 SotP

HoJ was situational in PvE tanking to begin with, IHoJ is a waste.

3/5 toughness gives more armor then 3/3 imp dev.

Stoicism is a largely pointless in PvE.

5/5 OHS will give better overall dps then 5/5 reckoning

Threat has been redesigned to be more or less a non-concern from tanking in general. Although whether the RF bug has been fixed yet is unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcraft
    That is a bad tanking build. If you want to tank, try this.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAcuMteIRGox

If you really only want Protection talents just down to stamina, which is what it appeared you were trying to do, try this.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0xVAcuMuLhZxf0t0Iz
    The only optional suggestion in terms of the first spec is to sub one point out of SotT into imp judgement to maximize GCD's and have an efficient damage rotation, alot of this is explained on maintankadin.com however when we get Shield of the righteous our rotation will change.

Deleted

Montoya: you're sacrificing lots of mitigation talents for a few DPS ones...that will make you a tank that still doesn't do competitive DPS but you'll be quite squishy and get killed easily. That's something I wouldn't take with me to raids. And no Touched by the light? Whoo, you're losing lots of extra DPS there.

But sure, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by zarondd
    tankspot.com

Your "dps" would be higher with HotR and SotT with BV stacking over 5/5 convict + 5/5 SotP

HoJ was situational in PvE tanking to begin with, IHoJ is a waste.

3/5 toughness gives more armor then 3/3 imp dev.

Stoicism is a largely pointless in PvE.

5/5 OHS will give better overall dps then 5/5 reckoning

Threat has been redesigned to be more or less a non-concern from tanking in general. Although whether the RF bug has been fixed yet is unknown to me.

Also, the theorycrafting has shown that the first 3 pts put in reckoning are the most important. For anything over 2 mobs, the numbers basically flatline over 3pts and you have reckoning being over written.

Never, ever take more than 3 pts in Reck if you are going to have it in your build...wasting 2 pts you dont need there and can spend elsewhere.

Monotoya: With the build you linked, you would find your dps more than lacking at 70/80.

Seeing as your a ret paladin, try questing with a cookie cutter ret spec and full ret gear plus sword/board. You'll see prot putting out some pretty solid solo dps.

Just wait until we get shield slam, it'll be even better.