Which judgement to use while tanking?

I was wondering if either JoL or JoW add any threat to the paladin tank (me) on fights. Ive heard mixed things, some say that JoL procs will add to the pallies threat, others that it wont. Anyone know which is true? I haven't had any problems with threat while using JoW mainly to help dps with its procs. However, if JoL would give me more threat, I would probably end up using it.

Re: Which judgement to use while tanking?

I use JoW, and have any rets use JoL, or holies if they can get one in. But i wont make a holy go out of their way for it.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

alright thanks. Like I said, no threat problems and mainly put up JoW just to help out dps, but if JoL is gonna give me loads more threat, I'd probably take that.

I dont see how JoL will cause more threat than JoW.

All JoL is going to do is help heal everyone when it procs, but i dont believe that will cause any additional threat.

There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile
    I use JoW, and have any rets use JoL, or holies if they can get one in. But i wont make a holy go out of their way for it.
    I would have it the other way around, have rets use JOW, and have prot/holy use JOL. Only because i've read JOL brings extra threat, so having a healing class who only brings a small threat gain on each spell cast, wont be in a rough spot later along the line.
    While a dmg dealer will.

It would appear that currently, the threat generated by the heal of this spell, is confered to the Judgeing paladin. Therefore, when 18 Dps are healing themselves for 130 every 4 seconds, you gain roughly 40 Tps per person.

This has resulted in significant increases in Paladin Tps for high AoE bosses, as well as minor problems for boss fights where global threat generation is a problem (Such as Morogrim and the Murlocs).

In my experiments, I have been able to get well over a thousand Threat per Second from favorable circumstances for this spell.
    copied from wowhead comments.

Threat shouldn't be a problem at all anymore unless you are fighting another tank for agro which can get ugly sometimes.

Holy shouldn't have a problem throwing JoL out now (post-3.03) and Ret can do JoW instead of light, as well as Prot.

If you don't have a Ret or Holy with you then its situational depending on group makeup. Caster heavy group? Use wisdom. Melee heavy? Use light.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosic
    I would have it the other way around, have rets use JOW, and have prot/holy use JOL. Only because i've read JOL brings extra threat, so having a healing class who only brings a small threat gain on each spell cast, wont be in a rough spot later along the line.
    While a dmg dealer will.
    I've never noticed, ill have to put this into testing and confirm it for myself.

Edit: Ok, my friend is a prot pally and is currently tanking Archimonde as i type this. I asked him to test out this JoL theory there. He puts out about 2k TPS on average, so if it goes up from there it will be confirmed.

Presuming he's using Blessing of Sanctuary on himself then his own mana will be a non-issue while tanking. So if you're in a mostly melee group who don't require mana (such as a in 5-man) and you need some extra threat, then it'd be best to use the JoL. Otherwise I'd stick with JoW because threat as a whole is very high for most classes so nifty little boosts like JoL's heal probably aren't needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosic
    While a dmg dealer will.
    Ret will be using JoW regardless as it's the main source of mana return anyway.

The only 2 that need to be up on the boss are light and wisdom. If you run 1 prot, 1 holy, 1 ret, then you have a superfluous judgment going on. Threat should not be an issue regardless of whichever you end up using because threat is largely a moot point in Wrath. In short, stick with light.

Light most definitely boosts threat especially in aoe damage fights like kalecgos and felmyst.

Ret should use wisdom and holy/prot should use light given you have at least 2 pallies in the raid.

As for future raiding I see no point to switch it up.

what I was mainly wondering was if JoL gave the threat to the pally. Ive done a lil bit of testing and this seems to be the case. My testign was rather small, however, it proved what I needed to know. Any threat is greater than no threat. Thanks to all who answered. Was very helpful.

Throughout TBC JoL had a small +healing coefficient (6% I believe), JoW had none, so it always made more sense for a holy paladin to judge it, since the healing returns would be slightly higher. I'm not sure if this is still true, but if it is, would one paladin's JoL overwrite another, stronger one? Or would the most recent stay active on the target?

they both work.
    Just dont use JoJ ;D
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

JoL definitely gives a prot pally significant threat. So much, in fact, that in heavy raid damage fights you can pull off the MT very easily in an OT role. Using JoL on Brut I had to be careful to not pull off the other tank before it was time to taunt. On Felmyst I had to rotate using JoL and JoW so I wouldn't pull off the MT. On Twins, I actually briefly pulled the second twin off the OT without even attacking that one, all the threat was through JoL.

JoL definitely can be a huge source of TPS. There are many in the tankadin community that think this mechanic is flawed and would like to see that threat mechanic go away and rebuff us elsewhere, but that's a discussion for another topic. :P