Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling as destro

Before 3.0 I grinded by saccing a voidwalker and pew pew'ing everything I saw. It took about 6 seconds to kill a single mob instead of ~20 as it used to be as affliction, and there was no downtime because of the health gen from the vw sac.

I have been chaos bolt destro for raiding since 3.0, and I'm considering going back to 0/21/40 with the vw sac for leveling. Yeah, it's only one target at a time, but incin, immo, incin, incin, conflag, lifetap, next mob.

Is there anything I'm missing that makes this a bad idea?

www.wowglory.com - Individual progress within a guild on various Glory of the Raider achievements.

Re: Leveling as destro

i loved leveling as affliction hmm.. after a certain gear point (aka vanilla to tbc gear) you could do it with a felhunter and be fully prepared for ganks.
    dot dot dot fear (life drain if needed) ->next mob. never go below 90% health or mana. imp soul drain/life drain/darkpact
    almost never got ganked, was able to kill almost anyone who tried me.

i cannot imagine this is the case with a sacced void? =/

anyways man, i'd go with whatever you think will give less down time (ganks included)

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    i loved leveling as affliction hmm.. after a certain gear point (aka vanilla to tbc gear) you could do it with a felhunter and be fully prepared for ganks.
    dot dot dot fear (life drain if needed) ->next mob. never go below 90% health or mana. imp soul drain/life drain/darkpact
    almost never got ganked, was able to kill almost anyone who tried me.

i cannot imagine this is the case with a sacced void? =/

anyways man, i'd go with whatever you think will give less down time (ganks included)
    Maybe I never got the hang of it, but I leveled affliction from 1-70 and I don't remember it being that fast. First, 3 dots won't kill a mob, and second, if you fear a mob and immediately throw 3 dots on a different mob and fear it, the first mob will be freed of the fear and come back to you, possibly with friends. Perhaps it's a matter of preference, but I would just rather take mobs one at a time and kill them so quickly that they don't have time to run to within melee range.

As for the ganking, i'm ok with destro, and having health restored via vw sac is nice. Also, on Sargeras, allies outnumber horde about 6:1, so we're generally the ones doing the gang-ganking :P
    www.wowglory.com - Individual progress within a guild on various Glory of the Raider achievements.

your missing the sweet sweet godly grinding powers of Siphon life with a felguard.
    Once a drunken pirate, alwaysh a drunken pirate... Hic!

Quote Originally Posted by yaba
    your missing the sweet sweet godly grinding powers of Siphon life with a felguard.
    What benefits does this give over killing one mob every 6-8 seconds with no downtime?

meta definitely seems like the most powerful leveling spec while picking up points in ruin otw to 75.

Quote Originally Posted by Uchi
    What benefits does this give over killing one mob every 6-8 seconds with no downtime?
    siphon life felguard gives the benifits of being able to solo as many mobs as you can pull with dots at a time, with zero down time. mana low? single pull with siphon life, sick your felguard on it, then life tap and bandage up.

It also gives the advantage of not having to look for groups to do group kill quests. In beta several people in average gear reported being able to kill just about every elite mob that is a quest objective, solo.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseThePally
    Remember when BC camed out
    Actually, no, I started long after Illidan had been killed.

20 days after it was out or even more
    There was a HUGE gank squad everywhere from both sides
    My choice would be demo
    You can kill anything and defend yourself from gank
    +SOLO 3 man quests ftw ^^
    Ganking may be a valid point of discussion. However, I solo'd a fel reaver with the blueberry, so I'm not too concerned there.

siphon life felguard gives the benifits of being able to solo as many mobs as you can pull with dots at a time, with zero down time. mana low? single pull with siphon life, sick your felguard on it, then life tap and bandage up.

It also gives the advantage of not having to look for groups to do group kill quests. In beta several people in average gear reported being able to kill just about every elite mob that is a quest objective, solo.
    So your main idea is that it gives more survivability at the cost of a lower damage output?

1500 corruption
    1500 ua
    2k coa

thats just at around 60-63 or w/e (i've got a lock around that level i dont play very often) this will kill a mob of that level.
    dots scale wildly with spell power compared to other spells

i haven't tried the new felhunter/affliction build but i imagine you could probably kll a mob wiht 2 dots now.
    grats on your 6:1 ratio i suppose lol.

i dont mind the challenge provided by a server balanced a bit in favor of horde. more for me to gank

on a side note, demon can do some pretty crazy aoe leveling every 5 mins lol, that was actually pretty fun

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species

greenmasheen

1500 corruption
    1500 ua
    2k coa

thats just at around 60-63 or w/e (i've got a lock around that level i dont play very often) this will kill a mob of that level.
    dots scale wildly with spell power compared to other spells

i haven't tried the new felhunter/affliction build but i imagine you could probably kll a mob wiht 2 dots now.
    grats on your 6:1 ratio i suppose lol.

i dont mind the challenge provided by a server balanced a bit in favor of horde. more for me to gank

on a side note, demon can do some pretty crazy aoe leveling every 5 mins lol, that was actually pretty fun
    not to rain on your parade, but your guildlaunch banner contridicts what you are saying... like 500 kills? 8-9k health?

thats like a shatter combo and a little more on my mage.

I’m leveling as deep destro with succy out. Seduce + backlash + conflag stun + shadowfury + huge crits = lol @ multi-mob pulls.
    User has been banned permanently for trolling due to the following post:
    "Anyone else really loving the new Ghost Form Warlocks were given? You’re immune to all damage, can explore ANYWHERE uninterrupted, hear creepy music and the best part is, you can stay in that form for as long as you want. Cheesy

If you don’t know where to train “Ghost Form”, you can learn the ability for free from any melee class you encounter by clicking the “Release” confirmation window that pops up."

Quote Originally Posted by greenmasheen
    not to rain on your parade, but your guildlaunch banner contridicts what you are saying... like 500 kills? 8-9k health?

thats like a shatter combo and a little more on my mage.
    thats my other lock

So your main idea is that it gives more survivability at the cost of a lower damage output?
    lower burst damage, but you increase overall damage by killing multipul targets at the same time.

Per say as destro you kill one mob every 6sec. 10 mobs a min.
    As siphon life/felguard it takes 3secs to dot a mob with coa, corruption, and sl. That mob is going to die. If there is another mob in range, you can dot it in another 3sec, and if there is even another in range (keep in mind you can always be on the move, insta casts ftw) you can then dot it.. if you are constantly on the move for a min finding new mobs it would be easy to kill 18-20 in a min.. considering that the last few would die shortly after the 1min mark.

lower burst damage, but you increase overall damage by killing multipul targets at the same time.

Per say as destro you kill one mob every 6sec. 10 mobs a min.
    As siphon life/felguard it takes 3secs to dot a mob with coa, corruption, and sl. That mob is going to die. If there is another mob in range, you can dot it in another 3sec, and if there is even another in range (keep in mind you can always be on the move, insta casts ftw) you can then dot it.. if you are constantly on the move for a min finding new mobs it would be easy to kill 18-20 in a min.. considering that the last few would die shortly after the 1min mark.
    Interesting. Makes sense, but.. it seems like it would still take ~20 seconds for each mob to die with 3 dots on it. That's 6-7 mobs pulled at a time. How well does the felguard keep aggro and stand up to 6-7 mobs beating on it, or how well do you stand up to 6-7 mobs beating on you?

greenmasheen

thats my other lock
    account get hacked?

Interesting. Makes sense, but.. it seems like it would still take ~20 seconds for each mob to die with 3 dots on it. That's 6-7 mobs pulled at a time. How well does the felguard keep aggro and stand up to 6-7 mobs beating on it, or how well do you stand up to 6-7 mobs beating on you?
    I may be wrong as maybe I play demonology different then others, but when you're running a demonology spec it's still typically you doing the tanking while the Felguard just cleaves into mobs. It's slower then Affliction, but depending on congestion and competition it may be worth considering.

I personally can't stand the Felguard or the entire Demonology tree so I'll be leveling as Affliction much like I've done for the past 4 years when not raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Raibaru
    I may be wrong as maybe I play demonology different then others, but when you're running a demonology spec it's still typically you doing the tanking while the Felguard just cleaves into mobs.
    pretty much the case, your felguard can tank the shit out of 1 mob, maybe 2. With siphon life, soul link, and fel synergy neither you or your FG are going to come close to dieing from only 7 or 8 mobs.. not to mention with the spell pushback changes you can cast howt even with 10 beating on you, and it only makes it what a 3.5sec cast?

Quote Originally Posted by Menin
    lol per say... before you try sounding smart know what you are talking about
    uhh, you sir fail.. and or are a stupid troll.. note I tottaly respect smart trolls.

I was refering to his example of killing a mob as destro in 6-8secs.. I took the average and used it in my example of ho sl/felguard is superior imo.

gtfo

Well the point is, you kill 1 mob every 6 sec with destro (10 a minute) but u can chain kill around 25 mobs in a minute with affliction (just keep dotting and moving along :P )

Also the spell push back changes are affected independently per mob, so i you have 10 mobs beating on you, you could have a max of 10 seconds of push back >.<