Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Able to be uncrittable?

Quote Originally Posted by trangoul
    The resilience was in patch notes for 3.0 i believe way back. The block i dont beleive is on Dim Returns though. I'd like to see that source
    Not seen the resi changes anywhere iirc, wowwiki has only the 3.03 changes of increasing the damage reduction of crits - I was using resi for uncrit at the start of wrath (PvP S4 neck being the 2nd highest stam and best threat neck then, so might as well put the resi to use) and never saw any crits on me.

- since 3.0, Resilience will NOT reduce your chance to be critted in PvE content, but is restricted to PvP
    Resilience is a totally wasted stat on any tank now. Resilience only works if these conditions are met.
    1.) You are flagged.
    2.) Your enemy is flagged

Since your enemy is not flagged in a PVE instance. Resilience is "turned off" providing no reduction to your defenses. This prevents anyone abusing the PVE or PVP system.

On to the topic of the uncrittable status. This is fairly easy to achieve with some of the saronite "tempered set" that every blacksmith is making. Stacking Defense should be your first plan to 540. Then immediately work on Stamina to compensate for the loss of maximum health.

As soon as you start getting your heroic runs in to pick up your newest gear sets, you will see yourself become over-capped on defense (soft cap). They opened the JC gem options for tanks to finally make sense. So you can really make some good choices on gems.

My example, we cleared the 4 wings of Naxx 10 this week and I replaced 4 tanking items. All of my gems went back to stamina except those needed to maintain my meta/and 540 2red, 1 yellow. I ended up at 550 Defense, avoidance higher, and 4.5k HP up from when I hit 80 a week ago.
    80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

Resilience absolutely does still work as an uncrit buffer in PVE.
    I typically go with 536 defense, and two stam trinkets, and use a resilience flask (0.61% uncrit) to fill the gap.

A 10 defense, 500 stam would do the same basically, and provide a tad more stamina for me, but you can't argue 3g vs 50g for a flask really.

So, whatever might be said, the results are not in line.
    I play the class in WotLK that is the worst spec class, that got nerfed, while all the other spec's got buffed. Which class is that? All of them of course...if you believe forum posts

Having just checked the official 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 patch notes from the official site, I can confirm that there is no mention of resi being only applicable to PvP in either of these patch notes, nothing is mentioned on wowwiki, and i have seen exactly zero evidence of this. Please, show numbers (get uncrit only via resi and stand there taking hits with a healer for example) or some kind of evidence before making such a claim. Things removed from patch notes do not count as proof though if they are not in the actual notes themselves.

yiptastic

Quote Originally Posted by FurioRing
    Resilience is a totally wasted stat on any tank now. Resilience only works if these conditions are met.
    1.) You are flagged.
    2.) Your enemy is flagged

Since your enemy is not flagged in a PVE instance. Resilience is "turned off" providing no reduction to your defenses. This prevents anyone abusing the PVE or PVP system.

On to the topic of the uncrittable status. This is fairly easy to achieve with some of the saronite "tempered set" that every blacksmith is making. Stacking Defense should be your first plan to 540. Then immediately work on Stamina to compensate for the loss of maximum health.

As soon as you start getting your heroic runs in to pick up your newest gear sets, you will see yourself become over-capped on defense (soft cap). They opened the JC gem options for tanks to finally make sense. So you can really make some good choices on gems.

My example, we cleared the 4 wings of Naxx 10 this week and I replaced 4 tanking items. All of my gems went back to stamina except those needed to maintain my meta/and 540 2red, 1 yellow. I ended up at 550 Defense, avoidance higher, and 4.5k HP up from when I hit 80 a week ago.

the uselessness of resilience is not whether the enemy is PvP flagged or not.

It's the fact that resilience does not give you other avoidance/mitigation stats.

Quote Originally Posted by yiptastic
    defense is still the best way for us pallies to reach 102.4% avoidance + block.

remember, UNCRITTABLE IS NOT YOUR GOAL AS A TANK.
    Getting to and maintaining 540 defense is the FIRST and FOREMOST thing you should be worried about. Period!

Once you reach that, yes you look for other mitigation stats to add onto. Likely starting with dodge, Block rating and block value/Str.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by lolololol
    Source on both first point and on block also being on DRs.
    I believe first point was on notes time ago. With the removal I'll do some testing to see whether they changed it back or if it's a "ghost" change not stated on notes.

My bad on block. I was taking it into account out of habit when considering tank stats. The key difference is that block isn't considered Avoidance by the game for it doesn't totally negate the blow's damage. Thus, it is not subjected to Diminishing Returns.
    I'm sorry for the mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Block "Rating" has diminishing returns in regards to rating conversion dependant on level.

Block "Value" does not and is a static value regardless of level.