Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Archaic

What does DEATH KNIGHT TANK need(stats for heroic)?? really?

Armor:23550
    Defense: 469
    Hp:22.6 hp
    Unholy specc with the obvious into frost and blood
    dodge 13%
    parry 12%

Ok obiously im not endgame material but wondering isnt this viable for the northrend heroics? ive tanked 3 heroics that is everyone ive been in yes not many, so far succesfully no problem keeping aggro etc and yet ppl are hesitant to bring me due to lack of hp(which im working on)
    Can someone help me with stats does this work or is it really bad??

Thx guys

Re: What does DEATH KNIGHT TANK need(stats for heroic)?? really?

Your first order of business should be to get your defense to 540. The normal incoming damage can be dealt with easily by your healer if you're smart with your cooldowns, however crits really fuck up dk's cause if we don't parry or dodge it we take the full blow, no blocking to help. This will be the biggest cause of your death in heroics, so get that def up to 540. I sit at about 21.5k unbuffed and 536 def atm and i just started doing a couple heroics last night cause i had good healers, really though i won't be comfortable tanking pugs as much until i get that uncritibility.

clicky for armory

Archaic

hmmm thx mate but its hard to find good def gear taking everything i get( so def is the key ... thx mate

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic
    hmmm thx mate but its hard to find good def gear taking everything i get( so def is the key ... thx mate
    Yes the def cap is indeed difficult to reach for a dk, especially if you're using a 2 hander and not going for the ease of dw tanking, which is vastly inferior for threat generation.

Reputation items really are your friend as they are some of the best in slot for tanking. Argent crusade and wyrmrest need to get to revered asap as they both have awesome stuff for a dk tank. I got argent to revered first as i was very close to it after questing in ice crown, and now i'm working on my wyrm (almost there!). Sons of hodir to exalted would come after that, but i recommend getting it to honored quick as that can be done simply from doing the quest line that leads to the Halls of lightning quest. I hit honored with them when thorim and king jokum became buddies again and can probably be done in like 2 hours or so.

Here is my armory to get an idea for gear:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...as&n=Gamehenge

I'm getting my orange def/parry gem when i log in ;D

Most everything i have is either from zone quests or some instance quests so you'll be guaranteed to get them if you do the quests. The belt is crap but unfortunately until i hit def cap it's better than the saronite one as it has more def.

The gloves and bracers were both really cheap on the ah, forget the bracers price but i think they were under 20g, the gloves were ranging 30-40g on my server. The armsman enchant on the gloves is also actually really cheap to get and is amazing. The 16 def cloak chant was the most expensive thing i had to buy and set me back prolly somewhere around 400-500g can't remember exactly.

The only thing really that was a pita to get was the trinket as you have to rely on the luck of the RNG loot drop, however you really should run HoL until you get it as it's the only lvl 80 trinket outside of nax that has defense on it and you can wear a tabard to work on your rep gain for the factions. If you're really in need you might think about farming the second boss in slabs for that def trinket as well, should be easy if you spec unholy and have a healer do it with you.

clicky for armory

Archaic

REALLY appreciate the input and yes looked into the rep items and thats what ill be aiming for asap yes..wyrm and argetn most and foremost once again thanks.)

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

There is no way im hell you can hit 540 defense w/o doing heroics, hell im still doing 10 man Naxx with 512 defense its pretty hard to hit the cap =/

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07
    There is no way im hell you can hit 540 defense w/o doing heroics, hell im still doing 10 man Naxx with 512 defense its pretty hard to hit the cap =/
    Then you're messing up. Gamehenge posted his armory, he's in quest rewards, 2 rep items and 2 created items. He has one instance drop, from NORMAL HoL, and the 2 rep items he has both only require honored. Granted he's at 536, but he's missing a gem in his pants, and the 22 Defense enchant on his chest. So, WITHOUT running heroics, he could be over defense.

Forgot to add, if you are going to point out that to get the rep you need to do heroics, try again. The Tabards say level 80 instances, they don't specify heroic instances. Level 80 instances are Oculus, Utgarde Pinnacle, and Halls of Lightning, all 3 of which can be chain run on normal for massive rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Deamon
    Then you're messing up. Gamehenge posted his armory, he's in quest rewards, 2 rep items and 2 created items. He has one instance drop, from NORMAL HoL, and the 2 rep items he has both only require honored. Granted he's at 536, but he's missing a gem in his pants, and the 22 Defense enchant on his chest. So, WITHOUT running heroics, he could be over defense.

Forgot to add, if you are going to point out that to get the rep you need to do heroics, try again. The Tabards say level 80 instances, they don't specify heroic instances. Level 80 instances are Oculus, Utgarde Pinnacle, and Halls of Lightning, all 3 of which can be chain run on normal for massive rep.
    Sorry, but for Rep you pretty much have to run Heroics. The mobs on Normal give 1-5 rep a piece. Bosses give an astounding 50. It would take dozens upon dozens of runs to hit Revered or Exalted as normal.

On heroic the mobs give 15-30, bosses 250.

Doesn't CoT: Stratholme also give rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Daimien
    Sorry, but for Rep you pretty much have to run Heroics. The mobs on Normal give 1-5 rep a piece. Bosses give an astounding 50. It would take dozens upon dozens of runs to hit Revered or Exalted as normal.

On heroic the mobs give 15-30, bosses 250.
    You don't need to enter a single heroic in order to get honored with Wyrmrest and revered with AD. You hit honored with WR before you even finish Dragonblight and revered with AC can be done if you did all the quests and the dailies for like 5 days in a row.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&n=Felc%C3%B3r

I was in a similar boat as you and was very eager to start heroics but had only 479 def, 19.5k hp. Did a few heroics but we wiped quite abit of times and when I tryed to do Aznub or whatever for that 111+ stam trinket, we couldn't even get pass that first 3 groups before the first boss cause I kept getting smashed for 6k+ and my confidence just went down the toilet. That's when I decided to do normal dungeons for some tanking items and was lucky enough to pick up my world drop shoulders and party let me have it. Even now, I don't really feel confident to start heroics and I went from 19.5k 467def to 22k hp 513def a day later so it's not very hard if you do normal instances and have Atlasloot to see what dungeon to go too for tanking items.

I am the OT for my 10man Naxx run and I seem to do fine but right now, just working on my Wrymrest rep for the Chest and Boots then later will switch to Argent for the helm tank patch. Probably only now will I attempt to try heroics again but def cap is a must because when you aim for def cap, you increase naturally in tank items.

I was unholy when I did so horrible as well but switched to frost for more WTF buttons but I will go back to unholy when I get 50% avoidance as I just love unholy. (read this on elitistjerks, check it DK tank thread). I read frost may be better to start off with, with having very little avoidance because Bone Shield(excellent talent) drops off too fast until you get decent avoidance. And my tank boots are still better then the quest reward even though it has shield block.

After i put the 8 def/ 8 parry gem i'm at 538 def. The wyrmrest stuff is actually revered req not honored. This is the hardest rep to get to revered as i was low honored after dragon blight. I have run a couple heroics but with a decent healer the easier ones are more than doable. I was only like 2k rep away from revered with Argent after questing icecrown, so a couple dailies and regular lvl 80 instance runs i was able to hit revered with AC, and get the mace and arcanum. I would get about 500-750 rep or so for a full normal instance run with a tab.

Being a human dk helps as well as i would get 275 rep per daily, even if you're not you can still get 750 rep per day from dailies, also factor in the normal dungeon daily and get the wyrm rep that puts it to 1k rep per day with dailies, then you can either grind normal 80 instances with the tab or you can dps some heroics, tank them if you got a great healer.

clicky for armory

A couple things I wanted to add to this:

First off, yes, you can hit 540 without ever doing heroics. I was at about 520 when I hit 80 just from rep gear, quest rewards, a couple crafted blues, and some of the non-heroic blues. Hit 540 after getting revered with wyrmrest and getting the trinket out of HoL (yes, I did do some heroics, but only about 2 or 3, and I only got rep, so it's not essential).

Another thing is that there are some green 2-handers with def on them. For a while, I was using a green 2H lvl 79 green axe I picked up in the AH that had 44 def on it. Really helped until I got my rep high enough to be uncrittable without it, so be sure to keep on eye on the AH.

The only thing i would be worried about with a green 2 hander is your dps will be quite a bit lower, which means your tps will be lower, so you might find that it can be difficult to hold threat over good dps.

clicky for armory

Also note that you need a little less than 540 to be uncrittable in hcs since the highest lvl on bosses/mobs is 82 which means you are safe on 530ish def skill.

Sry can't remember the correct number, someone care to fill in?

oh and dont forget pvp gear, res is a great way to fill up the lack of defence. for boss lvl mobs you should have a grand total of 5,6% less chance of getting critical hits

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Here's a good link (IMO) from the WoW forums about DK tanking. Hope this helps.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...15791482&sid=1
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted

as soon as i hit lvl 80 on my DK i started heroics..

that was in random blues i just got through quests and instances i tanked while levelling

i have never, and wont ever spec to any tank related talent spec, and will remain unholy dps forever

so far so good.

however, now i have:

509 defense

23530 hp in frost presence
    10.4 dodge
    18.3 parry
    20600 armor
    and i duel wield, for extra defense stats
    havnt had much trouble with agro, but i do tend to aoe everything and i'm pretty good at that :P

i'd rather make post about dps.. tanking is boring as a dk.. more fun as prot warrior :<

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Deamon

Dunno what im doing wrong here, I know I can get a cape enchant but that wont get me to 540 so can anyone please help me out? Im pretty sure im doing something wrong with gem'ing too.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...orefiend&n=Ave

Heroics Def cap is 530 not 540 (thats for raids i.e bosses 3 levels above you).

First and foremost everyone should aim for wyrmrest and Argent rep - both to revered - AC for the helm enchant - AC also sell a very nice 2h mace with +100 stam on it which is a nice starter tanking weapon - and wyrmrest for the cloak (honoured), chest and boots (both at revered). Kirin Tor have some very nice tanking gloves at exalted.

Gemming and enchanting are the biggest pains going - to maintain my 540 def I have had to enchants almost all with +def and I dont have any sockets atm bar the belt one which has a +stam gem in - in order to get those last points I needed prior to going to naxx I had to go back to netherstorm and get Dibiri's Enigma because Loken hates me ='(.

This user has been permanently banned for trolling due to this post:

"Nope not read the feral patch notes because i no longer play a druid (not played it for ages to be honest - she's sat at 70 in SW for about 8 months now) I read the DK patch notes and i scan the rest to see if there is anything that directly affects me - this change to ferals does not directly affect me thus i didnt take the time to read it.

Ferals are a boring class - get over yourself twat."

Quote Originally Posted by Noktismorté
    Heroics Def cap is 530 not 540 (thats for raids i.e bosses 3 levels above you).

First and foremost everyone should aim for wyrmrest and Argent rep - both to revered - AC for the helm enchant - AC also sell a very nice 2h mace with +100 stam on it which is a nice starter tanking weapon - and wyrmrest for the cloak (honoured), chest and boots (both at revered). Kirin Tor have some very nice tanking gloves at exalted.

Gemming and enchanting are the biggest pains going - to maintain my 540 def I have had to enchants almost all with +def and I dont have any sockets atm bar the belt one which has a +stam gem in - in order to get those last points I needed prior to going to naxx I had to go back to netherstorm and get Dibiri's Enigma because Loken hates me ='(.

Cap is 535, not 530. Bosses in heroics are level 82, not 81.