Thread: cat dps OPENERS

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

cat dps OPENERS

Ok so I am curious with what all of you cat dps do when you open on a boss. Do you ravage and hope for the crit

or

pounce and use the bleed effect combine with your mangle debuff?

or

is this just a personal preference?

-New member to MMO
    Somayne

Re: cat dps OPENERS

I use pounce, the damage over time with mangle + 50% extra crit on Ferocious Bite due to it more than makes up for a chance at a ravage crit. I've removed ravage from my bar tbh lol.

haha yea i was just wondering what other peoples input was about it thanks!

I never thought about that removing it from my bar i think that will be nice to have another button free to put SR!

I hope i dont get "WTF PWND" from assholes out there about this post.

o and how do you get a cool signature? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Somayne
    o and how do you get a cool signature? ???
    You set that in your profile. In regards to the initial question, I usually opt for pounce for the reasons already stated.

ok i start off with mangle untill i have 3 CP's up then i do a shred (i have a macro that uses tigers fury when it is up and shread when it is not) so i get 60 energy back and have enought to do a rake and a rip back to back. then i hit shread untill tigers fury is done and i have 5 CP's then i do savage roar and berserk. then i spam shread and rake for the last CP and then rip. that way i do the most damage possible. on a side note i have found if you have a trinket procking AP (i have 2 and a neck piece) you can not rip untill it is done because it says "there is a more powerfull spell active" so i just do a FB. after this initial rotation it is just tryign to keep all the dots up and savage roar and tigers fury everytime it is up (with the tigers fury / shread macro it is easier) untill beserk comes avalible again. i usually save beserk for when we hero for the extra BOOM on damage. i have found the gryphs that work best for dps are mangle, rip, and frenzy regen for the last one. just in case i have to off tank. with all the changes with feral dps we are doing uber dps.

this is true we do do mad openers. I feel like i just randomly press buttons when i feel like it is nesccarry i mean i try to get FR up all the time its like a rogues slice n dice pretty much but way better for us. But if you could like say what you do like in a more organized fashion that would be awesome! Also is glyph of rake even worth it in pve content or nah?

i would never take ravage off my toolbar just because i love catching clothing sitting down drinking gauranteeing a 100% free 8k+ crit on them to start the fight

Quote Originally Posted by spencernw
    i have a macro that uses tigers fury when it is up and shread when it is not.
    so i get 60 energy back and have enought to do a rake and a rip back to back.
    could you plz share your macro? it's an intressting one to try out

15+ Year Old Account

ok i start off with mangle untill i have 3 CP's up then i do a shred (i have a macro that uses tigers fury when it is up and shread when it is not) so i get 60 energy back and have enought to do a rake and a rip back to back. then i hit shread untill tigers fury is done and i have 5 CP's then i do savage roar and berserk.
    so you set up a full rotation without savage roar...

best opener sequence is Pounce, SR, mangle, rake and then carry on with your shredding etc while keeping rip, rake,mangle and SR up

Quote Originally Posted by Alski
    best opener sequence is Pounce, SR, mangle, rake and then carry on with your shredding etc while keeping rip, rake,mangle and SR up
    I used this rotation too, but ive come to realise using Pounce, Mangle, Rake, SR
    is better cause of the extra secs. when I then get the energy back I got my bleeds & mangle up when I start to shred spam!

Mangle, rake, shred, SR is also a nice opener imo, pounce costs some more energy so opening with mangle or rake can be better in some cases.

ok i start off with mangle untill i have 3 CP's up then i do a shred (i have a macro that uses tigers fury when it is up and shread when it is not) so i get 60 energy back and have enought to do a rake and a rip back to back. then i hit shread untill tigers fury is done and i have 5 CP's then i do savage roar and berserk. then i spam shread and rake for the last CP and then rip. that way i do the most damage possible. on a side note i have found if you have a trinket procking AP (i have 2 and a neck piece) you can not rip untill it is done because it says "there is a more powerfull spell active" so i just do a FB. after this initial rotation it is just tryign to keep all the dots up and savage roar and tigers fury everytime it is up (with the tigers fury / shread macro it is easier) untill beserk comes avalible again. i usually save beserk for when we hero for the extra BOOM on damage. i have found the gryphs that work best for dps are mangle, rip, and frenzy regen for the last one. just in case i have to off tank. with all the changes with feral dps we are doing uber dps.
    can u link me the macro u use for tiger fury plz?

Unless the target needs needs to be stunned for what ever reason pouce is a waste of energy and dps, imo.

I start most boss fights with this sequence (bare in mind you need a tank that can generate alot of threat, or be MD'ed)

Mangle - rake - SR - TF - Mangle/shred to 5pts - rip - berserk - mangle/shred 5 pts (reapply rake if needed) - FB - mangle/shred 5 pts - FB (berserk should be done now).

Doing berserk early helps you to maybe have again during a boss fight, which obviously will increase dps.

buffs to keep up at all times (and in order of importance)
    savage roar, mangle, rip and rake
    i dont use shred, with raid scaling mangles lower cost presents higher combo generation and more consistent damage while shred is bursty and leaves you dry on combo points (currently still have 2 pieces of t6 and will evaluate things again when i get a suitable replacement for both slots, but i dont expect many changes to my rotations)

to start the fight, i trust my tanks to have threat
    mangle ONCE, savage roar, rake, mangle, tigers fury, mangle to 5 (sometimes just one if the previous 2 crit), rip, berserk, then things fall down the line of which of the 4 most important buffs are about to fall and i line that ability or finisher up to be used next

this runs me around 3500dps with my current gear

~Furyform of Mug'thol (might be specced feral tank, but can still pull 3000dps with that spec)

I wouldn't risk some insane opener just because it might get me snap aggro from boss. Mangle, Rake, start SR, then proceed with normal rotation. Hardly need to do something fancy.

This thread makes my head hurt.

Rake -> SR -> Mangle (5cp) -> Rip

1. Keep SR up.
    2. Keep Mangle up.
    3. Keep Rake up.
    4. Keep Rip up.

Mangle only affects bleed damage. Rake doesn't tick for 3 sec, and therefore after you've already Mangled. There's no reason to pop Mangle before 3sec after Rake.

Pounce is inferior dps/dpe to open with. You're better off getting rake and SR up immediately.

Shred, even properly talented, does less dps than Mangle/Rip/SR.

With the above rotation, I was doing 2200dps at level 77 in crap T4 gear:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...irne&n=Zulrang

Shred scales better, and starts doing more dps once you have the best gear available in the game - which no one has (yet).

Feral openers are a total waste of energy in raid dps. Even for ferocious bite... beause you will use Savage Roar as finisher first anyway, so you will have time to put up rake before throwing up FB. With glyph of rip, some ppl still use it, I honestly have no idea if its worth it. But openers are ALWAYS A waste of energy in raid dps.

As for removing ravage off your toolbar... try something similar to this:

#showtooltip
    /cast [nostealth] Shred
    /cast [stealth] Ravage
    /stopmacro [stealth]
    /startattack

Might as well have them on the same button. I'd much rather Ravage if I'm stealthed than Shred, and the only time you can do it is when stealthed. This way it ONLY is a button when stealhed, problem solved

in raid bosses is silly to open with anything else than ff and mangle. it's waste of energy. there's no fb crits in rotations specially when you haven't do even your first rotation.
    kitty num num