Thread: cat dps OPENERS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: cat dps OPENERS

Quote Originally Posted by Zulrang
    Rake -> SR -> Mangle (5cp) -> Rip

Shred, even properly talented, does less dps than Mangle/Rip/SR.

Shred scales better, and starts doing more dps once you have the best gear available in the game - which no one has (yet).
    I'd love to see you prove that it's better to mangle until 5 combo points than to shred to 5 combo points with Naxx gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Heruwar
    I'd love to see you prove that it's better to mangle until 5 combo points than to shred to 5 combo points with Naxx gear.
    He can't prove that, because it's not better after you have replaced your t6 bonuses with Naxx epix. Mangle faceroll becomes ineffective very soon, so just start getting used to using Shred, or you'll be left behind by other dps classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heruwar
    not necissarily to show mangle as better than shred, as i have not tested shred in the given situation...but 4800 with manglespam is wicked
    http://wowwebstats.com/ok5wudtzkm1b5?m&s=291723-328018 (furyform on Patchwerk's dps)
    the one shred i have was cause i started thinking more about trying to watch for clearcast procs instead of spamming buttons mindlessly :P

I open with Faerie Fire ;D
    mangle -> sr -> mangle -> mangle -> mangle -> rip
    =]
    Im tank spec and use 2 piece tier 6 when I dps so w/e

Quote Originally Posted by Somayne
    Ok so I am curious with what all of you cat dps do when you open on a boss. Do you ravage and hope for the crit

or

pounce and use the bleed effect combine with your mangle debuff?

or

is this just a personal preference?

-New member to MMO
    Somayne
    My cat dps rotation goes like this. Log out Button>character delete>type Delete>Choose race> choose class: Rogue>enter world>Do real dps.

Ok just kidding. Personally I have usuallly start off with Ravage now that I have Tigers fury and can quickly get back that energy.

For me i just use farie fire as i am running to boss/mob so gcd is over when i get to it , then mangle , sr , rake , shred and then its about keeping them all up and going. the order is not a set thing. i work it on a priority basis. also you cannot use tigers fury while beserk is up , but you can use tigers fury then activate beserk for a bit of extra dps.the time wasted to stealth up to and get behind a boss/mob for a maybe crit ravage or pounce will cost you so much dps time anyway.

I find that as a feral DPS Druid it is very important to start your rotation correctly and to raid with a Feral tank or Trauma Warrior, or both.

The best opener that I have found is...

Rake
    Shred

If you get 4 combo points from that then Savage Roar needs to be next, if not then...

Shred again

Now your next ability needs to be Savage Roar whether you got unlucky and only got 3 combo points or not. After this opening the rest of your rotation involves keeping up Rake and Savage Roar and dumping 4-5 combo points on Rip. UNLESS! Sometimes you may run into having 10-14 seconds left on SR and 8-12 seconds left on Rip while at the same time needing to dump 5 combo points, this is the only situation in which you need to Fero Bite. If the time on one of those 2 abilities is lower it would be better to pool energy until one needs to be refreshed.

15+ Year Old Account

This thread makes my head hurt.

Rake -> SR -> Mangle (5cp) -> Rip

Mangle only affects bleed damage. Rake doesn't tick for 3 sec, and therefore after you've already Mangled. There's no reason to pop Mangle before 3sec after Rake.
    that way your losing SR on your first rake and since rake scales better with AP than mangle does it means your losing damage
    Your best opening is Mangle -> SR -> Rake

Shred, even properly talented, does less dps than Mangle/Rip/SR.
    shred properly talent has always and will always do more dps (it also scales better).

Shred the target, causing 225% damage plus 742.5 to the target. Must be behind the target. Awards 1 combo point. Effects which increase Bleed damage also increase Shred damage.

Mangle the target for 200% normal damage plus 634 and causes the target to take 30% additional damage from bleed effects for 12 sec. Awards 1 combo point.

now lets break this down assuming 12000 AP and 40% crit (easy to get in nax10 gear raid buffed)

base paw dps = 55dps
    12000ap = 857dps
    so our base damage is 912

Shred after talents
    42 energy
    +20% from talents
    +30% from mangle

Mangle after talents
    34 energy
    +20% from talents

Shred
    (((2.25x912)+742.5) x1.2 x 1.3) = 4363.6 damage, 40% crit brings the average shred upto 6109
    or 6109/42 = 145.45 dpe

Mangle
    (((2x912)+634) x1.2) = 2960.4 damage, 40% crit brings the average mangle upto 4144
    or 4144/34 = 121.9 dpe

sure mangle spam builds combo points ~15% faster but shred still does more dps. There is only 1 time where mangle spam does more dps than shred and thats when you wear 2pT6 to get 29 energy mangles

Quote Originally Posted by Alski
    that way your losing SR on your first rake and since rake scales better with AP than mangle does it means your losing damage

shred properly talent has always and will always do more dps (it also scales better).

Shred the target, causing 225% damage plus 742.5 to the target. Must be behind the target. Awards 1 combo point. Effects which increase Bleed damage also increase Shred damage.

Mangle the target for 200% normal damage plus 634 and causes the target to take 30% additional damage from bleed effects for 12 sec. Awards 1 combo point.

now lets break this down assuming 12000 AP and 40% crit (easy to get in nax10 gear raid buffed)

base paw dps = 55dps
    12000ap = 857dps

Shred after talents
    42 energy
    +20% from talents
    +30% from mangle

Mangle after talents
    34 energy
    +20% from talents

Shred
    (((2.25x912)+742.5) x1.2 x 1.3) = 4363.6 damage, 40% crit brings the average shred upto 6109
    or 6109/42 = 145.45 dpe

Mangle
    (((2x912)+634) x1.2) = 2960.4 damage, 40% crit brings the average mangle upto 4144
    or 4144/34 = 121.9 dpe

sure mangle spam builds combo points ~15% faster but shred still does more dps. There is only 1 time where mangle spam does more dps than shred and thats when you wear 2pT6 to get 29 energy mangles
    Good numbers on your calculations, however the shred idol and mob armor are reasonable calculations to be made for dpe as well. I believe after sunder and faerie fire a boss has ~25% damage reduction from his leftover armor, which takes small effect from ArPen rating.

Tonight I intend to do testing to compare how a shred rotation goes up against my manglespam rotation with 2pt6 and 80 epics in all other slots since calculations are just that, calculations. Will post both reports wednesday night after naxx25. And for the sake of comparison, I will use all the same gear with the exception of the t6 pieces I had equipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Alski

base paw dps = 55dps
    12000ap = 857dps

Shred after talents
    42 energy
    +20% from talents
    +30% from mangle

Mangle after talents
    34 energy
    +20% from talents

Shred
    or 6109/42 = 145.45 dpe

Mangle
    or 4144/34 = 121.9 dpe

Qft

Quote Originally Posted by Somayne
    haha yea i was just wondering what other peoples input was about it thanks!

I never thought about that removing it from my bar i think that will be nice to have another button free to put SR!

I hope i dont get "WTF PWND" from assholes out there about this post.
    Me ether

4pT6 will last until best in slot epics in the tier slots (not necessarily T7.25).

2pT6 will last beyond any currently available gear.

I'm still wearing 4pT6, 1pT7.10 and 1pT7.25.

Mangle spam good.

http://wowwebstats.com/zssrknbzqpm5g?s=124861-136318

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by furyform
    Good numbers on your calculations, however the shred idol and mob armor are reasonable calculations to be made for dpe as well. I believe after sunder and faerie fire a boss has ~25% damage reduction from his leftover armor, which takes small effect from ArPen rating.
    yes that is true but since both are effected equaly buy armor i see no reason to add it in, sure the final dpe value will be lower but the % value between the 2 will still be the same

As for the idol, i purposefully left that out along with T6 bonuses because shred idol is our best dps idol but T6 2 set bonus wont be replaced until T8 as Thaeryn said in the last post.