Ex 70Holy geared Pally needs help for leveling!

G'day folks!
    I guess the subject says it all
    I've been Holy for so long, and all my gear's holy (S2 - S4 pvp gear)
    Should I just start questing and equip myself with greenies?
    Which spec would you recommend for leveling asap?

cheers

Deleted

Re: Ex 70Holy geared Pally needs help for leveling!

You do realize that people reading your post might think you bought your character, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio
    You do realize that people reading your post might think you bought your character, right?
    lol

Not really, im not aware of the changes they've made so far
    probably a shockadin, with my gear, is more effective than spec'ing ret :P

Your best bet is to just stay full Holy and use Shock as your main offensive ability. You won't get many greens, that will outpace your S2-4 gear), for a while. So, no worries there.

As to exact spec? Either you deep Holy with just the Crit Requireds in Ret or spec Ret into Judgements of the Wise for the mana regen and the rest into Holy. This will net you Holy Shock and an almost unending mana pool.
    "My rage bar is blue, and I start the fight pissed!" - Battlecry of the Ret Paladin.
    "The best defense is a good offense." - Motto of the Ret Paladin.
    River Below - Billy Talent - Theme Song of the Ret Paladin.

DK Death Strike Tanking
    The Power of Avoidance! - DK Tank Required Reading
    DK AP Coefficients
    DK Threat Values

Aurich von Deathstrike

Quote Originally Posted by Montoya
    Your best bet is to just stay full Holy and use Shock as your main offensive ability.
    What? No.

Your main offensive abilities are Ret Aura and Consecrate. Holy Pallies AoE grind. We do not single target dps.

Leveling as Holy is just fine. Trying to make a Shockadin is a terrible idea. If you had an even halfway decent spec at 70, you don't need to respec at all. Just pour the additional points you get into Ret Tree Crit and you'll do fine. Gather as many mobs at a time as you can and never single target dps if you can help it. Use Shock and your Judgments to aggro more mobs to you.

As for your gear, just replace it with better stuff as you get it (duh?).
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Deleted

Holy is quite ok for leveling, really. I think prot is easier to level with, but then again, holy gets to any instances whatsoever he/she wishes. And you can keep yourself alive for ages. I just use seal of wisdom so I am never even running out of mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuz
    G'day folks!

cheers

Ret is the leveling spec guaranteed. I would even place Prot over Holy because the DPS is better and survivability is through the roof. I enjoyed Holy immensely but you asked the question and the truth hurts...it took me months of whining and number crunching to sadly switch (I'm quite stubborn). I was even griping pre-3.0 with the rumors of where Ret was going while the talk of Holy PVE leveling talents/spells were at a stale-mate.

If you decide to spec Ret. Buy 200g worth of crafted blacksmith gear and any green 2hander in the AH for about 10 gold.
    In the first few quests you get significant upgrades. With the shabbiest of gear I was pummeling enemies asking myself, "Is it supposed to be this easy?"

If you want to stay Holy then you know how to grind and we don't have to tell you when to use Holy Shock (lol). However, your s2-s4 gear (which is what I had) will last into the mid 70s before you see many replacements. Survivability is awesome but since many quests are "kill quests" it will take you longer. It's quite doable in ANY spec given the player isnt a total drool-rag. You get Divine Plea at 71 which would make downtime MUCH less painful for Holy and you could actually burn through HS quite a bit.

As "deep holy" on a lvl 70 training dummy in SW I could sustain 450 dps for just about 2 minutes (shock, judge, AW with almost 800 SD). With consecration I could add 123 dps but it cut my time down to 50 seconds (till OOM). This was in a post 3.0 world.

When I went deep enough in Ret to grab JotW (even after nerfed) I could sustain 350 dps literally forever (non consecration) and throw Holy Light's about once every 8 seconds. With consecration it was about the same. I did NOT have Holy Shock but never resting to eat/drink was my mindset.

The first day after hitting WotlK, ss Ret with an Axe of Frozen Death (one of the first Borean Tundra quests) I was probably triple that with all other crap gear.

As Prot with a decent 1hander you would prob be 700ish dps at Level 70 and not have to worry about death almost ever.

If you decide to stay Holy you will be totally fine. It will take a little longer to level but they go by quickly anyways. Your going to eventually cap 80 and do Arenas, Raid, or grind for Rep gear (sound familiar?) Taking your time is never a bad thing even though most the hardcore gamers will deny it.

Goodluck.

PS: AoE Grind is the typical Holy/Prot response. With the spacing of mobs for many quests you will be running around trying to gather them...while they just run back to their pathing spots.

Your prob best going deep enough in Holy to get Shock and then heading over to Ret for crit, persuit of justice and other talents (improved ret aura and eye for an eye).

Mana efficiency will be horrible till 71 and then get quite a bit better with Divine Plea on a 1min CD. If you dont mind giving up Shock you can pickup some fun Ret skills like I did (even sheath of light, Repentance, and JOTW) but most Holy Pallies don't hate themselves enough to do it, lol.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggles
    As Prot with a decent 1hander you would prob be 700ish dps at Level 70 and not have to worry about death almost ever.
    Waaaayyy off, actually! I was doing about 350 dps at 70 and I had full epic. You absolutely MUST use seal of wisdom or you'll have to drink after 2 mobs and that means your dps suffers helluva lot. At 75 things improve quite a lot when we get ShotR, it immediately increased my dps by another 150 points.

At 80 I am now doing constant 850-900 DPS with seal of wisdom on when soloing. In instances I do 1200-1300 dps.

With my holy paladin on the other hand I do 450-500 dps at lvl 70 and I can sustain my mana forever. Then again, I can't take nearly as much beating as a protadin.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Deuz
    G'day folks!

cheers

1) stay holy
    2) quest in borean tundra and howling fjord
    3) gather all the plate dps greens from quests and weapon(s)
    4) respec ret (you should be 72-73) and refrain from grabbing any pvp talents (no imp ret aura, get the ret aura buff instead for haste)
    5) WTF do you mean "what should i lvl asap with?" i dont know, maybe a dps spec? durrr!!!

dont be a "retaradin" and be a paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    Waaaayyy off, actually! I was doing about 350 dps at 70 and I had full epic. You absolutely MUST use seal of wisdom or you'll have to drink after 2 mobs and that means your dps suffers helluva lot. At 75 things improve quite a lot when we get ShotR, it immediately increased my dps by another 150 points.

At 80 I am now doing constant 850-900 DPS with seal of wisdom on when soloing. In instances I do 1200-1300 dps.

With my holy paladin on the other hand I do 450-500 dps at lvl 70 and I can sustain my mana forever. Then again, I can't take nearly as much beating as a protadin.
    Thanks for catching that .

I was actually just grabbing my bro's Prot numbers from his Warrior assuming they would *close*. He only parsed about 350-400 dps on SW dummies with mixed S2 and S4 but they weren't hitting back where much of his dps comes from.

Good to hear about SotR. I would be curious how well it works for a Holydin or if its just a waste of a GCD.