Necrosis vs impurity

Hey,

Got a question about necrosis vs impurity.
    Have been looking around abit but cant really find the basiscs of how impurity works.

The talent gives 25% extra benefit from atp for your spells. ( with 5 points )
    What "spells" do they mean ?

Does it count for every spell/ability you have ?
    Or does it only count for "spells" like deseases?

Asking this because if it only affects deseases i will take necrosis over impurity.
    Since deseases is just a small part of unholy dmg (in pvp/arena)
    And white dmg is the highest dmg output for unholy pvp

Any thoughts about this ?

Thnx

Deleted

Re: Necrosis vs impurity

I believe everything that says "shadow dmg" or "frost dg" is affected by the extra spell power of impurity. e.g., scourge strike is shadow dmg, so it should be affected.
    i do not know about pvp, but in pvE impurity is a must have imo.

15+ Year Old Account

It is important for Pvp and pve cos unholys main smash comes from SS which makes shadow dmg----> Ap-->more SS dmg

But anserwing subject... impurity
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.

Douglas Adams

Spells are abilities that don't scale directly off your weapon damage as far as I know.

Thus Scourge Strike is not a spell, since it uses weapon damage. It just applies the physical damage as shadow damage.
    Read your spell tooltips, they won't mention your weapon.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by africangecko
    Spells are abilities that don't scale directly off your weapon damage as far as I know.

Thus Scourge Strike is not a spell, since it uses weapon damage. It just applies the physical damage as shadow damage.

Hope that helps.
    This.

Impurity does not scale any of the strikes. It scales UB, DC, Gargoyle, Blood Plague, Frost Fever, DnD, etc.

Yes, it's mandatory in every single Unholy build.

While neither impurity nor necrosis generate enough of a dps increase for their investment, there aren't a whole lot of options for replacement in the tree itself. Corpse explosion is worthless in general, as it will confound any rotation you use.

That being said, what type of pvp are you interested in and what does your spec look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Holyground
    While neither impurity nor necrosis generate enough of a dps increase for their investment, there aren't a whole lot of options for replacement in the tree itself. Corpse explosion is worthless in general, as it will confound any rotation you use.

That being said, what type of pvp are you interested in and what does your spec look like?
    Not quite true. Impurity is a 5% dps increase for 5 pts which is perfectly on budget. Blizzard tries to budget talents to roughly 1% dmg increase per pt with exceptions made for utility talents, X1 talent, etc.

For its place in the tree, Impurity is a great grab and a fundamental 5 pt investment for moving down the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by xythian
    Not quite true. Impurity is a 5% dps increase for 5 pts which is perfectly on budget. Blizzard tries to budget talents to roughly 1% dmg increase per pt with exceptions made for utility talents, X1 talent, etc.

For its place in the tree, Impurity is a great grab and a fundamental 5 pt investment for moving down the tree.
    Fair enough. What are you replacing necrosis with?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by africangecko

Hope that helps.
    If im wrong ok no problem.... i end whit simple comment...Not best whit terms
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by biggydeen
    Hey,

Got a question about necrosis vs impurity.
    Have been looking around abit but cant really find the basiscs of how impurity works.

The talent gives 25% extra benefit from atp for your spells. ( with 5 points )
    What "spells" do they mean ?

Does it count for every spell/ability you have ?
    Or does it only count for "spells" like deseases?

Asking this because if it only affects deseases i will take necrosis over impurity.
    Since deseases is just a small part of unholy dmg (in pvp/arena)
    And white dmg is the highest dmg output for unholy pvp

Any thoughts about this ?

Thnx
    White damage is the highest SINGLE source of damage...but saying that white damage is the biggest source (as compared to yellow damage) is wrong.

When compared to all of your yellow dmg white dmg is absolute crap. This is one of the main reasons why haste is such a wasted stat for 90% of DK builds, except the DW dps builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyground
    Fair enough. What are you replacing necrosis with?
    I have Necrosis and Impurity. Necrosis is a bit underbudget for a 2H (~3% dmg gain for 5 pts) but for single target DPS it's better than Outbreak (which is where the majority of the leftover pts come from).

Quote Originally Posted by Gomexus
    White damage is the highest SINGLE source of damage...but saying that white damage is the biggest source (as compared to yellow damage) is wrong.

When compared to all of your yellow dmg white dmg is absolute crap. This is one of the main reasons why haste is such a wasted stat for 90% of DK builds, except the DW dps builds.
    I was just comparing white dmg vs all other ability's individually.
    Then white dmg is on the top by 10%.

So impurity does not count for sourge strike and all other strike's ?
    Im still not certain cause some people say it scales with strikes and others say it dont.
    IF it scales with SS for example its an easy pick -> impurity