Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Blood Vs. Unholy - Leveling [Your Opinion]

My 2 cents:

I've been Unholy all the way, being 78 righ now.
    Since you're overgeared for Outland, always kill pack of 6 mobs or so, using your pet as a gatherer or ride by them to pack them. If after a fight you’re low on health, death grip a wandering mob, and then plague it and death strike it, and here you go, full health.

I was going to go Northendre by 70 to be at zone level but eventually went there at 68 and a half, you get brand new decent gear from quests then 1st instances, no prob.

About instances, I’ve always done between 30% up to 40% of group damage since it’s AoE time, according to my Recount.

I haven’t tanked yet, but on my alt “set”, I have now 526 def, wearing tempered/daunting. At 70, I got all the cobalt pieces which I’m sure would have allowed me to tank. Actually, it helped me with some pieces to solo group quests. So far, only the 5 ppl Giant in Dragonblight wasn’t soloable.

Btw, I levelled BS at 70 which I suggest to you to do earlier. It costs a lot and was horrible to farm in Silithus for Oozed Rich Thorium, then in Nagrand for Adamantite, but it worths it now.

Being 78, the Savage Saronite “set” is very good for PvP, going frost presence. At last I understand those Brutal Gladiator going in bg and ripping everyone. I’m not fully used to it yet, but I top the meters (except in AV of course) and I’m very hard to kill. What I like the most is to come back as a ghoul when they eventually got me, then leap at them, stun them if needed and crush them!

AoE grinding from Unholy is pure win. Nothing like pulling a pack of 6-8 mobs and having everything dead in the time it would take to kill two 1v1. And finishing with 80% + health.

Made those mob count quests trivial in a lot of cases. Kill 30 of "x". Ok, four pulls later, done. Blood probably is slightly better than Unholy at killing the elites one on one. But Unholy is good enough in that regard that I couldn't see trading out the AoE ability for it. Even after the Heart Strike change, which I admit is nice, it's still not going to compare to Unholy's AoE, I'm pretty sure of it.

Deleted

Unholy AoE leveling like almost everyone has said.

People who claim blood to be better choice are just clueless. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by neonanaski
    Unholy is absolutely unneccesarily faster because of a few things:

- Unholy Aura
    - See #1
    - First teir skill ftw
    - Howling Blast +range ignores armor
    - insta crit every 2min
    - Bone Armor getting nerfed

The list goes on in Frost's favor. The only real benefit for Blood has always been that you have alot of self healing. The problem is you kill stuff so quickly no matter what spec you are that self healing is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by burn
    well blood spec dk's wil say hah i never need to sit for hp

as unholy dk , i say hah i dont either, but i can aoe mobs down u cant!

think you see where im going ;D
    if u want fast leveling go unholy
    my reasons for saying this
    - faster mount = faster questing
    - as unholy ur way better in pvp then blood (no corpserun due to opposite faction= faster leveling)
    - killing 6 mobs in roughly same time as a blood kills 1-2 = faster leveling

well thats how i feel about it
    this

Just think.. all you unholy ghoul fans can drool over the new glyph

Ghoul receives 40% of your str and stam

And without a question of doubt unholy IMO at least is > blood or frost for leveling

Blood got a good rap for leveling and soloing in beta when bloodworms were really OP among some other abilities. Dont get me wrong blood is still very strong, but something about running through packs of vultures and dropping 6-7 of them leaving at 100% health is yum. And yes you can still solo all those elite quests.

Spec vendetta, spec imp rune tap, put the remaining points wherever the hell you want.

Arguing about leveling a DK is really redundant, it's like complaining hunters don't level fast enough.

Plus blood vs unholy is pretty much cats vs dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Janz
    Unholy AoE leveling like almost everyone has said.

People who claim blood to be better choice are just clueless. Period.
    Hm.

I rarely pick up less than 4-6 mobs when I am grinding / questing as blood (always in frost presence).

I have briefly dabbled with Frost - and gave Unholy a good go for several levels early. Never really liked it. So I have been Blood spec'd for 95% of the time (currently 78).

And, as an aside, I have solo'd virtually every group quest in Northrend (many times while the unholy DK in front of me is making a corpse run). And 2K heals with Death Strike are nothing compared to 5K plus GUARANTEED heals with two button pushes every minute.

And blood is getting some serious Blue Love in 3.0.8 - while Unholy is taking a bit of a hit. We probably shouldn't talk about 2K last stand every minute - and 30 Seconds of every minute being a +50% heals time (all with the same *single* talent).

So... it is only getting better for us Blood DKs.

But... feel free to call us idiots. Don't worry - we will still help you knock out those group quests. ;-)

-D

I did both as leveling up, blood first, then unholy, and i could solo elites just fine in both specs, blood was significantly easier though.

In the end it came down to one thing that i feel no matter what tree you do, it helps a ton, on a pale horse. The difference in your mount speed is so damn noticeable you feel like a geezer when you spec out of it.

Since leveling isn't particularly hard, for efficiency it's best to do 17 points into unholy for pale horse, then put the rest where you want to. If you want to go blood you can get to heart strike by lvl 67 while still having pale horse. On a pale horse really is the best leveling talent cause it will save you a ton of time on your way to 80.

clicky for armory

What are the viable Glyphs I should be using for Unholy?

Can someone list the viable Glyphs I should be using as Unholy?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by dweidman
    Hm.

I rarely pick up less than 4-6 mobs when I am grinding / questing as blood (always in frost presence).

I have briefly dabbled with Frost - and gave Unholy a good go for several levels early. Never really liked it. So I have been Blood spec'd for 95% of the time (currently 78).

And, as an aside, I have solo'd virtually every group quest in Northrend (many times while the unholy DK in front of me is making a corpse run). And 2K heals with Death Strike are nothing compared to 5K plus GUARANTEED heals with two button pushes every minute.

And blood is getting some serious Blue Love in 3.0.8 - while Unholy is taking a bit of a hit. We probably shouldn't talk about 2K last stand every minute - and 30 Seconds of every minute being a +50% heals time (all with the same *single* talent).

So... it is only getting better for us Blood DKs.

But... feel free to call us idiots. Don't worry - we will still help you knock out those group quests. ;-)

-D
    theres some stuf wrong here...
    ok u pick up 6 mobs aswel, gz but ur crap at taking them down period
    then as unholy i soloed everything aswel, if u see an unholy corpserun, blame the player not the spec
    not calling u an idiot yet
    but ur in some serious denial

Quote Originally Posted by Froth
    Can someone list the viable Glyphs I should be using as Unholy?

And would it be possible to gain 3k gold from 77-80 on questing alone? No professions?
    well i couldnt imagine going witouth DnD and boneshield glyphs ( but im about taking les damage)
    for damage output im guessing ghoul and something else

as for the 3k, if u level fast no
    if u do ur quests slow (aka killin trashmobs in the arena u dont need aswel) then maybe dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Froth
    Hello all.

Currently have a Level 77 Death Knight who is spec'd Unholy.
    I've been Unholy since the beginning and have enjoyed it.
    Lately I have seen a lot of Death Knights running around that are Blood...

I was just wondering what was more efficient and enjoyable..
    Blood or Unholy?
    What did you level as? Did you find one spec more enjoyable than the other? Did you try all the specs?

Thanks for the help.
    Unholy is currently better. The DK's that are Blood are confused and think it is the survivability spec. I AE killed as Unholy and the healing power of Death Strike with 3 diseases is just huge.

Quote Originally Posted by ViLeBiO
    Unholy is currently better. The DK's that are Blood are confused and think it is the survivability spec. I AE killed as Unholy and the healing power of Death Strike with 3 diseases is just huge.
    I have to agree with this. I have tried all the various blood survivability talents recently and they are all very underwhelming. If you have all of them at once they would help alot I think, but in my opinion doing that would mean you would be sacrificing so much DPS it might not be worth it.

g

As Unholy while leveling up, I used to regularly crit heal myself with Death Strike for 4+ even in the low 70's. Combined with the AoE grinding? Win imo.

No one is saying that "x" spec isn't viable. They will all get you there. But for max efficiency, Unholy is the way to go, seriously.

Both specs work fine for leveling, anyone who says that blood cant deal with large pulls is an idiot.

Bloods survivability is in being able to toss a heal on yourself after hopping down a cliff or while running away from stuff that isnt worth the time to fight, etc.

With double target heartstrikes and a weakened bone shield, the differences will be even smaller between the two. Pick whichever one you enjoy playing, it wont matter on the way to 80, you can faceroll the whole continent anyhow.

mount speed buff is nice to grab regardless tho, they are right there

-Moon

Quote Originally Posted by moongleam
    Both specs work fine for leveling, anyone who says that blood cant deal with large pulls is an idiot.

Bloods survivability is in being able to toss a heal on yourself after hopping down a cliff or while running away from stuff that isnt worth the time to fight, etc.

With double target heartstrikes and a weakened bone shield, the differences will be even smaller between the two. Pick whichever one you enjoy playing, it wont matter on the way to 80, you can faceroll the whole continent anyhow.

mount speed buff is nice to grab regardless tho, they are right there

-Moon

unholy aura and on a pale horse... forizzle my dkizzle

Blood has a slight elite advantage, unholy has a slight aoe advantage

Both specs can solo group quests

Both specs have no down time

I just like more mobs and running faster

One more post Mortuarius, you can do it!